• Register Today It's free!

Body lift vs suspension lift

kowalsy

Reaction score
City, State
Edmonton, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 explorer sport
i know the question is pretty general, but i just wanted a clear explanation of the + and -'s of each when it comes to offroading. Now if im not mistaken, the suspension lift will raise the whole truck up and you'll get more clearance.. right? and a body lift will just raise the body, leaving your clearance somewhat the same, because your differential and stuff are still at the same height.. ya? haha sorry just confused on each, and just wanted to clear that up. im looking for more offroad clearance, so which would be a better first investment?
thanks guys!
Steve

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Suspension lifts are always the way to go. But in the Explorer's case, they are so damn pricey, body lifts look like a pretty damn good alternative.

Anyway, you're right about the differences in the lift. Body lifts give you no more clearance by themselves. They only allow you to run larger tires (giving you more clearance. But if you were to go with a suspension lift, you'd get clearence from the lift AND the tires.

Suspension lift will give no more clearance than bodylift, dependent on lift size, in other words a 3 inch suspension lift would be the same as 3 inch bodylift. The pro's to the suspension, better flex, lower center of gravity, pro's on the bodylift, less dollars, but the down side is a higher center of gravity. Both will give you the distance between the wheel wells to add larger tires, that is where your ground clearance is improved. Of course a suspension lift has cosmetic pro's as well, no relocated bumpers, or gap between the body and frame, if that doesn't bother you then no biggie, it is all about what you want.

Interesting information, thanks for the reply’s guys. So pretty much the only way you’re going to gain ground clearance is with bigger tires? Nothing else you can really add that will give you the extra clearance? Are the benefits of a suspension lift far superior to a body lift? I realize the suspension lifts are up in the thousands of dollars... I suppose a body lift and nice size tires would set you of pretty nice for the backcountry...

I don't know much about a 2003, but alot of second generation explorer owners have added rear shackles, and turned their tosion bars to gain some lift, if this does not apply to you, and it may not, but with abody lift you could run larger tires, and enjoy some mild off roading.

Here's what I mean about more clearance with a suspension lift. This is a situation that I have been in many times.

My buddy has a '94 Ranger with spacers and 31's and he has more frame clearance than my '96 with 2" suspension and a 3" body with 32's.

Also, you do have tbars on your '03. You can crank them and add shackles or add-a-leafs for about $50. Not bad for 2".

here's my illustration!

Attachments

• pic.jpg
    pic.jpg
    10.1 KB · Views: 3,011

another artist:p , actually pretty cool drawing

Forgot something.

Now it's Mo_Guys Explorer :D

Attachments

• moguys.jpg
    moguys.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 9,647

A quick correction, the body lift will provide a lower center of gravity since the bulk of the weight stays in the same location. A suspension lift, most of the heavy stuff goes up (engine, frame, transmission & transfer case). The only place a suspension lift gives more lift than a body lift is like what is pictured above. The Explorer suspension lifts that I have seen don't provide anymore clearance under the front since the front suspension crossmember stays at the stock height. They use brackets to relocate the crossmember down (or in other words everything else up) by the lift height. The height gained comes from the ability to run larger tires which both lifts provide. Both lifts provide better approach and departure angles (provided you lift the bumpers with the body lift). The Explorer fortunately is one of the better looking vehicles with a body lift. A lot of vehicles look pretty bad with a body lift leaving very unsightly gaps (Chevy S10 & Toyota pickups come to mind). The Explorer's frame is tucked up inside pretty well especially with the stock running boards. The only noticeable gaps are in the wheel wells which even they don't look that bad.

How noticeable is the body lift?

Attachments

• 030221 - 003.jpg
    030221 - 003.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 1,673

Wowie, I'm bringing a dead thread back, shocking! How did you get your running boards up so high? Do they travel with the body?! They must...

Originally posted by section525
Suspension lifts are always the way to go. But in the Explorer's case, they are so damn pricey, body lifts look like a pretty damn good alternative.

Anyway, you're right about the differences in the lift. Body lifts give you no more clearance by themselves. They only allow you to run larger tires (giving you more clearance. But if you were to go with a suspension lift, you'd get clearence from the lift AND the tires.

i beg to differ. because of how the frame is tucked under the body, i did get a little mor clearance because now instead of my body bottoming out, the frame would. not to mention, with the bumper brackets, my front valance now just covers the front of the frame instead of hanging down, so i have a better approach angle.

i would also like to know the answer to teh question regarding the nerf boards...i thought they were frame mounted, thus there should be a gap.

The frame, t-case cover, gas tank skid plate, etc still hang below the body. Lifting the body does not increase overall clearance. It may help with obstacles that would hit outside the frame, but that is about it.

Your approach angle would have been helped out just as much with a susp lift.

I believe that factory nerf bars attach to the body, not the frame. Nate could walk out to his truck and look and be able to answer that.:D LUTFT!

When only going for 2"-3" of lift, I prefer the body lift. It doesn't look bad like it looks on Chevy's, and as Robert pointed out, it keeps the CG lower for more stability.

Yes, robb. I remember now, when I took them off I thought mounting them to the body was a stupid idea. They are mounted to the body... sorry, moment of stupidity (that happens alot).

if you look straight at my truck from teh side, you can barelky see frame and had i not had the body lift, when i went to the sand dunes a few months ago, i would have ripped my tupperware right off when i sank my truck. no doubt SL is the overall best option...and i am about to do a coil spacer/AAL/Shackle myself but the BL is a cheap alt (unless you have to replace half of your body mount bushings like i did)

Can't really see any frame here...

92078044PonQYB_ph.jpg

And the BL most definately has far less impact on your CG than a SL does. The transition from stock to 2" SL was more noticeable on exit ramps than the transition to 2" SL + 2"BL + bigger tires was. (obviously my CG is higher now with the BL, but the magnitude felt from the drivers seat was not near as high with the BL)

No the pic doesnt work. :p

it does if you right click, go to properties and copy and paste into IE.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back