Brake Controller Plug and Wiring | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Brake Controller Plug and Wiring

Purchased the P2' yesterday, picking up our new travel trailer tomorrow, a 21 foot rock wood mini lite 2109s, see how she works.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Will this work for the P2?

The P2 has the same features in comparison?

2013 Explorer Trailer Brake Connector

All:

My 2013 Explorer Limited has the trailer towing package and I was trying to find the brake controller connector under the dash. I haven't been able to locate it. Has anyone setup up their Ex for electric brakes and installed a brake controller in theirs ?

Thanks
Dennis

dennis@dbradley.net
2013 Explorer Limited, Platinum White, 301A, Trailer Tow
20" Polished Aluminum Wheels, BLIS / Rear Inflat Belts
3.5L TIVCT Engine

All:

My 2013 Explorer Limited has the trailer towing package and I was trying to find the brake controller connector under the dash. I haven't been able to locate it. Has anyone setup up their Ex for electric brakes and installed a brake controller in theirs ?

Thanks
Dennis

dennis@dbradley.net
2013 Explorer Limited, Platinum White, 301A, Trailer Tow
20" Polished Aluminum Wheels, BLIS / Rear Inflat Belts
3.5L TIVCT Engine
You may want to do a further search. I used the term brake controller in my search. The search button is near the top of the screen on the second blue bar.
Good luck.

Peter

Just curious, but what is it that you are towing that requires a brake controller? Camper?

From the centerline of the steering column, feel under the first panel ( under dash) you might see the plug or feel it. I had to actually remove the lower dash panel to get to mine, it was wrapped up and around another set of wires. Some folks did not have to at all, it was exposed enough to pull out.

Bump - I would be interested in the location also.

Help - Brake Controller Harness Location

Looking to move my Tekonsha P3 to the new Ex Sport. I have read numerous threads here, that seem to indicate that it is to the left of the steering column just underneath the knee panel.

Well, there is no way I am going to get up there without removing some plastic. My first attempt was a no-go. I removed the two screws on the knee panel, but that thing wouldn't budge. There is also another cover down by your feet that is concealing it as well. Any thoughts?

UnderDashSmall.jpg

Hi there SHOinSUV. Trying to find the brake controller harness is very difficult. We found it and it took a lot of effort, but its there. The harness is just below the emergency brake under the plastic. From the picture you took if I remember correctly, its on the left hand side under the black plastic and my best advice is too take off as much of the plastic that you can get off, which is what we did. Use a flashlight, droplight or anything you got because if you shine the light in there you'll see a harness that's not plugged into anything. It is taped to some other wiring, so you'll have to cut the electrical tape to move the harness whereever you'll want it. The harness is no where around the pedals just so you know. There's no good way to get in there, which is why I said move and take off as much of the plastic as you can. Hope this helps. If you need any more help, let me know. Good Luck

FOUND - Brake Controller Harness Plug

Thanks for the reply. I decided to take this head on with from the bottom. This way if anything broke, it wouldn't be seen. After removing the two screws next to the OBD-II port, I gave it more muscle than I wanted, but managed to get the cover above my feet down enough to reveal the plug. Low and behold, the elusive brake controller harness plug. :)

FoundPlugSmall.jpg

Glad to help. What do you think of your sport? We have the regular v6 and we use our explorer to pull our travel trailer. Our trailer and all of our cargo is around 3500 lbs. We've thought about getting the sport because obviously it has a lot more power! Are you going to use your sport to pull anything?
Look forward to hearing your feedback.
Michael

Aevans, I will be towing my motorcycle trailer with it. Fully loaded, I am around 4,000lbs with two bikes. Coming from a 2002 Escalade with the 6.0L V8, I have no doubt that the Ex Sport will do just fine. The same amount of power and 1,000 lbs lighter. Just need to make sure I do a better job of distributing the weight in my trailer. My Escalade had air suspension in the rear and always leveled it out if I didn't get it quite right. I won't be towing for a few weeks, but I'll be sure to post my experiences once I do.

Hi there SHOinSUV. That's quite a change from an escalade to an explorer. We live in New Mexico and there are a lot of mountains and high elevation and that really hurts our poor little v6. It actually pulls are trailer quite well considering. We had come out of an '11 f150 with the 5.0 engine which ran like a striped ape. Don't worry too much about the weight issue. The explorer handled the weight incredibly. Our hitch weight was probably 400-450 lbs and it hardly went down at all. In comparison, the f150 went down like a sack of potatoes and we were about to add airbags to it. Let me know how the sport pulls when you get out and use it. Your probably going to love the ecoboost!
Enjoy

I hear ya on the high altitude towing. When I was looking for a replacement to my Fusion Hybrid and Escalade (consolidation), it came down the Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT8 and the Ex Sport. After watching a YouTube video of the SRT on a dyno in Denver, I was sold on the Sport. That SRT only made 250HP at the wheels up that high. Couple that to 16MPG on the highway and it was a no brainer.

Hi there. Wow, only 250 hp out of that beast in high altitude! As you know that's where turbo's shine. I can only imagine what are stock v6 dyno's out at here in the high altitude. Probably don't want to know. Gives us a better appreciation of what are base engine actually can do pulling our trailer up here. We've also been thinking of adding the K&N air intake and cat back exhaust system to help it breathe easier. I know some guys on this forum have done this, but where just wondering if it really adds any power or just noise. What kind of mileage have you been getting out of your ex, city or highway? Just want to compare to are ex.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Newbie, here. We've had our '13 for about two weeks. We have a P2 that we used in our Sienna. Sienna was totaled by a drunk driver.

Got the harness from etrailer. That last pic really helped me find the connector. Its held to the main harness with a plastic push type rivet. I used a long skinny screwdriver thru the gap for the hood release to pop the connector from the rivet. Then I could pull the connector to the edge of the panel and plug in the harness without the need to pull the panel down.

The info on etrailer and other sites indicated the connector was behind the glovebox. Glad I didn't go fishing over there.

Back