• Register Today It's free!

Brakes seem to give out when cold

2000blackxlt

Reaction score
City, State
Powell, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT
Whenever I start and drive my Explorer, within the first 5 minutes of driving and stopping (for stop signs, red lights, turns) when I press the brake pedal to stop, I hear some type of "click" and the pedal goes almost to the floor, and I have to press hard to stop. Once that happens, it's fine...I can get my brakes back to normal. At first it always happened when I started the truck and drove, making a left turn and applying the brakes, then recently it happens when I'm coming to a stop from a straight away. This happens once after I start and drive the truck from a cold start it seems.

I checked the master cylinder reservoir and it was not low, although I topped it off (very small amount) and do not notice any brake fluid leaking from the engine or any of the wheels. I plan on checking around the master cylinder this weekend, but was wondering if anyone has any thoughts as to what could be causing the problem. I did have the dealer look at the brakes a few months ago (in for a non-brake related problem) but they said the brakes were fine.

When the truck is warm after being driven on the highway, it seems to be fine when I hit the brakes, or slow down and stop. Only seems to be when I initially start off in the truck and appy the brakes.

Welcome! Have you tried changing the relays/fuses?

Did you have the speed control switch recall fixed yet? If not it could be the switch leaking internally. This also could cause an under hood fire, even while parked.

problem found

appears when I disengage the speed sensor from the wheel, problem goes away. Reattach speed sensor cable - problem appears. Sounds like I need a new HUB (speed sensor not replaceable unless you swap out whole entire hub I'm being told)

Back