broken cage bushings while technicians were doing recall work | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

broken cage bushings while technicians were doing recall work

Picklev

Reaction score
City, State
Calgary, Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer Limited
So the Ford dealership was performing the recall work for Campaign 21S32 (rear toe link) on our 2015 Explorer Limited and apparently they broke one of the cage bushings in the process? I don’t have a ton of confidence right now because they were super vague on the phone - “this has never happened” and apparently they are not sure how they are going to proceed.

Can anyone give me some insight into what questions I should be asking and what to expect? They don’t even know when they will get the vehicle back to me (meanwhile I have three kiddos with no vehicle to cart them around in). Just worried that this is a more serious problem than they are letting on.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Cage bushing? Never heard of it.

I'm guessing they broke a control arm bushing or maybe a body / subframe mount. I would get more clarification on exactly what part is broken and needs replacement (ask for part #). I'd also be demanding a loaner car :)

So the Ford dealership was performing the recall work for Campaign 21S32 (rear toe link) on our 2015 Explorer Limited and apparently they broke one of the cage bushings in the process? I don’t have a ton of confidence right now because they were super vague on the phone - “this has never happened” and apparently they are not sure how they are going to proceed.

Can anyone give me some insight into what questions I should be asking and what to expect? They don’t even know when they will get the vehicle back to me (meanwhile I have three kiddos with no vehicle to cart them around in). Just worried that this is a more serious problem than they are letting on.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I also have never heard that term. This is all I could find; Discover Quality Wholesale ball cage bushing For An Amazing Price - Alibaba.com
Since they have now extended the repair time for an unknown length, I think it would be appropriate to request a loaner or rental.

Peter

Most likely the caged nut inside the unibody frame spun while attempting to remove or re-install a rusty control arm bolt. Had this happen on my uncle’s Flex…I had to use a cut-off wheel and section out the side of the frame to gain access, weld the nut in place then stitch the piece of frame that I cut out back in place.

Still on the road and running great @ 300k.

Cage bushing? Never heard of it.

I'm guessing they broke a control arm bushing or maybe a body / subframe mount. I would get more clarification on exactly what part is broken and needs replacement (ask for part #). I'd also be demanding a loaner car :)

I would think being professional and respectful would go much further then demanding a loaner. **** happens when you are disassembling a 7 year old vehicle. Heck, my dealer broke 2 bolts trying to take stuff apart on my 2015 F350. All was covered and fixed and I didn't have to demand anything.

My car is 9 years old and I live in the NE rust belt so I know all about **** falling apart

If I drop my car off at the dealer (i never would) and their response is "we have no ETA" that's when I remind them I still need a car while they figure it out. Lets not forget this is recall work which states the car will be fixed same day and the onus is on Ford not the dealership however they should still take care of the customer when **** goes wrong. Plus it doesn't hurt to ask or demand.. like Dalton says: Be nice until its time to not be nice 😎

Back