• Register Today It's free!

broken gas pedal in '98

Maverick_2004

Reaction score
City, State
Mattoon, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 EB
Ok, so this was weird... I went to start up my 98 ford explorer this evening and right away noticed that it seemed to be idling really low. I put my foot down on the accelerator and - nothing.

So I got down on the floorboard and took a look at the pedal and throttle cable, and somehow the cable was completely broken off from the pedal. I say somehow because yesterday I drove it and everything was fine; it stayed parked overnight and then today it's broken for no apparent reason. Now, I don't know what condition it was in last night when I parked it, but obviously it was working fine, and it wasn't touched at all today until when I went to start it and it was broken.

Anyway, it's not the cable that's broken, nor is it the bracket that holds the pedal to the firewall... it's the actual pedal where the cable attaches to it, it's just broken, a piece is broken off and it allowed the thing that hooks the cable to the pedal to come loose.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/15160035@N07/2204548545

This is actually an inaccurate image, but good enough... imagine that the tilted U-shaped attachment point at the top of the pedal is circular, then on the cable (left side of image) there's this round piece of plastic that slides into the circular hole on the pedal, and the metal crimp on the end of the cable holds against the plastic. Well, the plastic on the pedal is broken, causing it to look a bit like the picture, only with the U shape pointing about 90 degrees downward from the image-and it's broken. :thumbdwn:

So I did a hardcore job on this beast with some high quality black electrical tape and it works for now, but I need a replacement for the pedal. I tried searching google but couldn't even find an OEM replacement for it. Personally, I'm a little pissed that the pedal was made out of plastic in the first place and would be interested in finding an aftermarket metal version.

Thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You might try kbabiak or ped5stang for a used one-

But I see your point about it being plastic. I'm not aware of a metal aftermarket pedal that wouldn't require some fabrication

BTW
You can attach pictures directly to the site if you are an elite member.

About a year ago I ran across a TSB about the pedal braking in the Explorers (and also the F150, I think). I printed it out and have it in my 1996 Explorer file at home in case mine breaks. I'll look at the link on the page when I get home this afternoon and post again.

Back