broken transmission band | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

broken transmission band

troyota

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 explorer
hello, I have a 2002 4.0L, 150k, with a 5r55w trans. had the codes p0745 and p0733 come up. had the 2 to 3rd gear flare.
I adjusted the band per the tsb. the intermediate band adjustment screw went in quite a bit. maybe a 1/4 inch of threads left past the locking nut. it did get to 10 ft lbs, but I pulled the pan, and the band still seemed loose. the tab was pushed against the case, so there was my 10ft lbs. so I decided to pull the trans out.
i have pulled the servos to see if it was broken, it was not. also the bores looked surprisingly good. there was part of the outer seal that was broken. it was the smaller seal on the end next to the cap. I have not pulled the pump or anything, I just got it out yesterday. I was expecting to find a good step by step video or pix on teardown and replacement of both bands and servos. I have not...could anyone point me in the direction of a good one? I have searched this forum and you tube.
I have a friend that is a trans tech, but he is very busy right now. I am going to tear it down, then take it to him to do the servo bore repair and sleeve. then I am going to put it back together.
so anyone have a good video that shows teardown?
thanks

Back