Bronco 2 panel van? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bronco 2 panel van?

Anyone heard of modifying a Bronco 2 into a "panel van" configuration? Take out the rear window and the two back windows, installing a solid metal wall in their place?

Could anyone offer tips, tricks, or general advice on "how-to"? In particular I'm looking for:

1. How to remove the windows (without breaking them! ;))

2. Any structural fabs to make (eg, using 1/2" square tubing, etc)

3. I've heard body panels tend to be thin, and don't weld easily...how to weld/braze/rivet (LOL) without warpage...

4. Modified weapons mount in the back....just kidding.

I've always liked the panel van look, and want to see how my favorite mini-truck would look if modded as such.

TIA

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the bronco II picture windows (86+, 84-85 are glued in I think) are bolted in from the inside.
Making sheet metal panels to take their place would be a cake walk really
You will lose some structural integrity by doing so unless the metal is thick enough to replace the rigity of the glass.

The rear hatch came with lift up glass and with solid mounted glass.
I would look for the lift up style hatch if you want alift up metal panel

Or you can remove the glass and weld in metal on the sides, since the rear hatch is mostly fiberglass welding the rear window in is not an option, you could rivet it in place or install it like stock with a rubber seal.

Quick photoshop...

Attachments

• broncoPanel.jpg
    broncoPanel.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 993

You could just paint the glass?

410Fortune said:
the bronco II picture windows (86+, 84-85 are glued in I think) are bolted in from the inside.
Making sheet metal panels to take their place would be a cake walk really
You will lose some structural integrity by doing so unless the metal is thick enough to replace the rigity of the glass.

The rear hatch came with lift up glass and with solid mounted glass.
I would look for the lift up style hatch if you want alift up metal panel

Or you can remove the glass and weld in metal on the sides, since the rear hatch is mostly fiberglass welding the rear window in is not an option, you could rivet it in place or install it like stock with a rubber seal.

Since the rear hatch is fiberglass, I'd think one could fabricate a fiberglass panel to fit, and glue or screw it on. I didn't know about the screw-from-inside info about the windows, thanks!

Cooooool photoshop, yup that's what I'd like to see...maybe a teardrop window near the back? Dress it up like a '70s van?? :confused:

I was gonna say that is would be a must for the little bubble window on the sides. I don't know if I would want to lose the rear glass all the way. I could see mabie making it smaller. I allways wanted to do this with an older civic hatchback...like an 84-87 or even better, a 88-91 EF.

FROADER said:
Quick photoshop...
HEY! I think I know that trailer park!

I think it would really look good. Might as well take out the back seat also.

Wonder if you could leave the side glass in and just roll some sheet metal over top? Fasten at top and then start rolling it down.

Back