Bronco II feels like it's gonna roll over. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bronco II feels like it's gonna roll over.

Frank Fencepost

Reaction score
City, State
Mt St Helens, Washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
1984 Bronco II
I just bought an '84 Bronco II. Whenever I go around a curve or hit a little dip in the road or do anything besides go 30 miles an hour in a perfectly straight line, it feels like the damn thing's gonna roll over on me.

I just cut the top off but that's got nothing to do with it, it feels exactly the same as before.

It's killing me. I'm supposed to drive it 700 miles tomorrow and I don't know if I should do it or what. Other than that it runs just fine.

Is that how all these BII's feel, all wobbly like that? Or do I need some new shocks? Or what?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds like shocks and maybe sway bar bushings. Does it make any thumps or anything after you hit a bump?

Sounds like shocks and maybe sway bar bushings. Does it make any thumps or anything after you hit a bump?

No, no thumping. Just a lot of swaying, and that kinda feeling you get right before you put a couple wheels in the air.

Frank there is probably not a man on the planet that has drove a chopped top B2 more then mine in the last 3+ years. NO, NO it's not supposed to feel that way at all. In fact I love to fly around the turns faster and safer then most small cars.
Now I did replace all body mounts. I was so surprised when I took them out and they felt about as firm as a wet donut. They were all replaced. Now this truck even has a 3" body lift also. Might want to mention also that some of the body mount supports were so rusted that the allready soft body mounts would actually sink even further down into the supports.
What I did was to weld some flat metal across the rusted area so the new aftermarket mounts would set on.
Why don't you have someone roll the B2 from side to side while your under it and see just what is happening.
After I did what I expained above there was a huge difference on stability.
Do you have a cage or roll bar yet. If not what a huge huge difference it makes when you tie the lower body by sandwiching the floor between the upper cage tube and the lower tube that is welded to the frame.
Now this with new shocks and whatever else it needs and you be impressing some ricers when you out turn them.
I even removed my sway bars. When riding in my truck the one thing people say is how well this truck takes the turns.

Some where in the quadzillion pages of the build everything I said is documented with hopefully, quality pics to help others, and to refresh this old farts deteriating memory LOL.
Just how did I do that.

Really appreciate the info rookie... I am looking at the cost of body mounts and shocks right now, we'll see if I can afford it or not. As it is now the Bronco is terrifying to drive. I live on Mt St Helens and there's some very curvy, dippy, bumpy roads out here.

For mostly paved road and gravel road use, with very limited off roading, can I trust the body mounts, sway bar bushings, and shocks sold by James Duff? I'm not building a rock climbing machine here, this is just for getting firewood, hunting, camping, things like that.

what a huge difference it makes when you tie the lower body by sandwiching the floor between the upper cage tube and the lower tube that is welded to the frame

Oops, changed from floor to frame. Hope you get it right. Don't need you rolling over when getting out of Dodge if she decides to blow again.

Back