• Register Today It's free!

Brown Wire "Indicator"

GregV8

Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 XLT
We had our first snow today and 4wd kicked in a few times on my way home from work.
I started thinking it'd be nice to know when it's exactly happening. A small lamp on the dash that would light up when automatic 4wd is engaged.
Do you guys think it's possible to source an LED simply from the famous brown wire? They way I understand it, it carries the command for the auto 4wd (in form of a +12V signal)
Or am I way off here?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had a lighted switch inline with mine so that i could leave it 'stock' and also cut it off like you guy's are doing.

With the lighted switch it would light up when it sent power to the front

Use the BWM +12v to drive a relay (or some other isolator) to your LED of choice.

Use the BWM +12v to drive a relay (or some other isolator) to your LED of choice.

I'm not sure if a relay would let it operate like it did with mine

When it was only sending a little power to the front the light would be dim on my switch...the more power it sent to the front, the brighter the light would get because it sent between 3v-12v to power the front clutch.....

correct me if i am wrong, but if you hook the + to the relay,the light would either be on or off

Back