• Register Today It's free!

Budget Lift

keithisg

Reaction score
City, State
Elizabeth City, North Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ranger reg cab 4.0
So after reading I'm sure this has been posted a million times but I could do a budget suspension lift using the following

SOA
5.5 Springs
Shock absorbers all around
Pitman Arm
radius arm brackets
Extended Radius Arms
Extended brake lines
Alignment?

I feel like if I pieced this together using Skyjacker parts it would work out to be cheaper. It would balance out to be about correct right? If the back was a little lower I could throw some shackles or something up there to boost it up. If I remember reading correctly this is exactly how Superlift does there 5.5 lift, but not to sure. I hear better things about skyjacker parts also, and being able to order the correct drop pitman arm would also be a benefit as I understand the regular lift does not come with the correct one.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Don't forget axle pivot brackets.

Unless you're buying these parts used, it's almost always cheaper to buy a complete kit (maybe one that comes with rear blocks if you're doing SOA, then sell the blocks & u-bolts). If you get a Skyjacker kit, I would think that you could substitute the pitman arm for the larger one and just pay the difference in cost.

Correct, the front suspension is 100% the same on a '91-'97 Ranger. Only the rear stuff is different, but you won't be using any of that anyway if you're doing a SOA.

I recently pieced my own lift together. I saved a couple hundred on the actual lift. I did end up spending the money I saved in other areas. I got everything used from a few guys on this site and therangerstation. If you have patience you can get a quality used lift for a very decent price. If you have any questions let me know.

Thanks, glad to hear I have options besides putting out for a brand new lift.

@cmhaah06 where did you spend the money you saved? Welding supplies? I thought not getting a new leaf spring pack/add a leaf/ leaf spring blocks would save a lot depending on what it is? Thanks

i pieced together my lift kit, i paid 200 for 4inch coils, drop pitman arm, radius arm drop brackets, a set of good ex springs (no sag) and axle pivot brackets which i recently found out were actually duff brackets, and 2 front shocks. i need to buy adjustable camber bushings, srear shocks, shackles, add a leaf, and brakelines, which adds up its like 45 for aal 50 for shackles 50 for brake lines 80 for shocks and 60 for camber bushings so that comes up to be

485 which isnt bad

i got my 33s for 75 with about 60% left
and 4 american racing 15x8s for 80

if you look the deals are out there but it could take forever if youre trying to go cheaply

Thanks!!!
Thats exactly what I needed to hear because Time>Money in my situation. I'd rather put it together piece by piece over a year than save money for a year and spend twice as much. If that makes any sense lol

That does make sense, I wanted a lift kit so bad but then my friend had all of parts I needed, the duff brackets a good find in my opinion, and I got f150 coil spacers with the shocks and the shocks are brand new. Just take time and piece it together, It will be more worth it and you will gain more from actually doing it and not having instructions, if that makes any sense lol

I can pretty much picture in my mind all that needs to be done without instructions, I was actually planning on doing it without instructions. Ive had my whole front end tore apart these last couple days so it couldnt be to much of a stretch.

yeah, i definitely think that it wont be hard to put a kit in, i mean its just replacement parts.

I got the Rough Country (el-cheapo) lift and their instructions were terrible so I just downloaded them from their website...
Doesn't matter whose lift you choose, you're putting on the same parts, just different quality levels.
So anyway if you want some kind of a reference:
http://roughcountry.com/install/7540.pdf

Might just help. It's nice that it's in color too.

Thanks for the instructions.
I was thinking of piecing the front together and then doing SOA in the back, I have access to an experienced welder so I feel pretty confident about that.

Thanks for the instructions.
I was thinking of piecing the front together and then doing SOA in the back, I have access to an experienced welder so I feel pretty confident about that.

If you check my registry I actually did 4" on the front and SOA on the rear.

I'm in the same boat on money being tight. I looked into piecing it together and the cost was worse, at least with brand new parts. If you are super patient I guess you might have luck getting used parts. I found that the axle pivot brackets were the hardest to find.

I ended giving up and went new. You need to allocate money for longer brake lines, especially if you're doing 5.5" on the front. And if you go 5.5" there's a really, really good chance you're going to need your driveshaft lengthened. That's part of what made my decision to do 4" instead. Figure $200 to get your drive shaft lengthened and balanced - that's what I was quoted.

You can get extended brake lines for about $30/side at Autozone. And you can buy some for the rear or rework the bracket.

And then you've got at least $150 in an alignment (because they will need to install extreme angle camber bushings). And that's if they don't find anything else wrong once they're messing around down there.

You also have extended shocks that will be at least $30 each for half decent ones (so there goes another $120).
If you have to get new u-bolts for the SOA you're looking at another $30...seems like small potatoes until you start adding all this extra stuff up. It amounts to a couple hundred pretty easy.

I'm just trying to make you aware of all the extra expenses that I didn't really fully think out.

Yeah once I pick up a new job I'm going to sit down and write out what I need. My uncles a mechanic I can get some parts cheaper and probably get the whole driveshaft thing done for free and the alignment and a reduced cost, cause I know they will tell me to get new ball joints first.

Yeah once I pick up a new job I'm going to sit down and write out what I need. My uncles a mechanic I can get some parts cheaper and probably get the whole driveshaft thing done for free and the alignment and a reduced cost, cause I know they will tell me to get new ball joints first.

Well, it's good that you're preparing to replace parts (ball joints) and not just to stick the lift on. I wonder though, why not tackle the ball joints yourself when you're under there putting the lift on? If you can install the lift you're able to do ball joints as well.
In regards to the drive shaft lengthening, you may want to make very sure that your uncle's shop can do that. Generally those sorts of things get farmed out to specialty shops. In my case there's a shop that does clutch and hydraulic work that's about the only place around. The Ford garage said they could get drive shafts lengthened, for instance, but they were just going to send it out to the same shop I knew of. So you might want to make sure; if your uncle is sending it out to get done and they can't do it in house you're going to end up paying.

Also found it quite interesting that a James Duff 6inch lift kit is only about 350 dollars more than a Skyjacker Stage two

It shouldn't be that interesting. Those are both hi-quality name brand kits. Know that if you want to do this really on the cheap you should probably go to one of the "knock off" brands like I did lol. Really depends on the level of wheeling you plan to do. If you're going to be tough on your truck then you really do want like a Skyjacker or James Duff but if this is an occasional wheeler you can probably save yourself (at least) $500 or $600 and just go with a cheaper brand.

Oh I just ment I found it surprising because the James Duff seems like such a more high quality choice for only a little bit more money. I didn't even realize that they started making a 6inch lift for ex's. Not to mention its made specifically for explorers and all the parts are not mass produced and are of legendary quality.

Oh I just ment I found it surprising because the James Duff seems like such a more high quality choice for only a little bit more money. I didn't even realize that they started making a 6inch lift for ex's. Not to mention its made specifically for explorers and all the parts are not mass produced and are of legendary quality.

Gotcha...I smell what you're stepping in...

Ya, everything I've read on here makes it sounds like Duff is the stuff to get. "Duff is the Stuff"...hmm, maybe they'll pay me for that new slogan? Eh, they probably have come up with the brilliant idea of rhyming duff and stuff already.

Anyway, I like how your idea of working "on a budget" includes buying top-end name brand stuff ;). Guess it's all in the deals you score, right?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back