Build your Wrangler fighter here! | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Build your Wrangler fighter here!

Originally posted by SteveVB
... maybe they debadge it and sell it as a Ford Ex???...
Dead Link Removed
I'm already telling you for a while to call it Ex-Defender!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think Ford needs to create a "tuner" division (not unlike the SVT) with an off-road bent. Offer a small family of vehicles built on the first-generation Explorer frame (both the 4-door and the 2-door) with a couple of "packages" aimed at different sub-groups of the off-road community. They would share several components, almost the entire drivetrain. Engine options could be a 4- or 6- cyl. turbodiesel (one or the other), a gas V6 (or I6 :p), and a gas V8. Trannies would be a heavy-duty 4- or 5-speed auto and a heavy-duty 5-speed manual. Transfercase would be a heavy-duty twinstick unit. Heavy-duty PS pump, heavy-duty alternator, onboard welder, dual battery option, LS standard unless it's got lockers, manual hubs on all 4wd models, full roll cage, probably 3.73, 4.10, 4.56, and 4.88 gearing options, and skid plates. Design the brake lines to accomdate future lift, maybe also have an optional keyed ABS switch. Offer heavy-duty bumpers with a MileMarker winch option, design the electrical system to allow for aftermarket lighting, etc. :smoke:

Package #1 would be aimed at the rockcrawlers. Built on the 2-door frame/body, it would have a solid D44 front, Ford 9" or D60 rear, cable- or electronically-actuated lockers in both ends, gear reducer (like the Klune-V) between the tranny and t-case, coil sprung, 33" tires, engine snorkel option.

Package #2 would be aimed at the desert runners. Built on the 4-door frame/body, it would have the same Ford 9" or D60 rear with a built D44 TTB front (or a 2wd TIB front). Coilovers all around, 33" tires, 4-point harness option, LS in front, optional locker in rear, optional snorkel, all intake equipment would be "dust-proofed", prerunner bumpers.

Package #3 would be a more general-purpose truck. Available on the 4-door or the 2-door frame, same rear axles as above, the D44 TTB front, coil sprung (not coilovers, though), optional lockers either end, LS standard in both. Again, 33" tires, snorkel option. Maybe offer an option of prerunner bumpers or the heavy-duty rockcrawling bumpers.

Sorry for the long schpiel; I probably left something out, I'll probably just come back and edit. :smoke:

I was just amused to see that the last 2 posts are exactly a year apart.

I've heard !?!?!?!?!?

Before Ford bought BMW and along with it the Land Rover products, Land Rover had a project going to bring out a more user friendly vehicle, i.e. Yuppie type vehicles.
So, what the word is, Ford is still bound to this new concept and the vehicle mentioned earlier may be just that, a Yuppie vehicle; which only yuppies can afford.
Too Bad!

Maybe I should buy a Jeep with a Chebby 305 and 700R4 tranny... HA HA!

Keep it on all Four!

Yeah - somehow I missed this thread and found it a day or two ago. lol :smoke:

First of all everyone has great ideas! It shows how in tune everyone is to their needs. I am sure that if everyone got exactaly what they asked for from the Factory there would have to be like a model year line of 8 million different vehicles. Too bad we can't do that. I hope that everyone here being Ford Lovers understands what I mean.

I think that Ford is really trying to have a suv for everyone. You can get the Escape, Explorer Sport, Explorer, Explorer Sport Trac, Expedition, or the Excusion. If you can't find one that fits your needs either stock or that can be modified with bolt on's and/or minor additions. I am not sure what to tell you. I don't know of an Auto Manufacture that has as many bases covered as Ford. Dodge has the Durango and, oh yea that's it. Chevy has a little more than Dodge with the Tracker, Blazer, Tahoe, that new thing, and the Suburban. Ford also has every trim level you could ask for. You want to drag dirt and mud in and out you can get the XL with rubber floors or you can get Wood Grain and Leather in the top lines. Hell, you can get a Mountaineer or a Navigator, now they have the Lincoln Blackwood.

Oh well sorry so long

FX4 Explorer Sport (Bronco?) Compromise

I just posted (see "Ranger FX4", this forum) how thrilled I am with Ford's FX4 Off-Road Package on the Ranger, and I think it gives us some hope for an off-road worthy SUV (at least compared to what they've offered us in recent years) from them in the future. I realize we're not going to get the "modernized Early/Classic/66-77 Bronco" I've dreamed of...a hard-core, solid-front-axle wheeler. It just costs too much to come out with a dedicated vehicle targeted at a relatively small market...yes, I hate it, too, boys and girls, but we've got to face it: the Soccer Moms and Grocery Getters have us outnumbered in a bad way.

Having faced and accepted this fact of life, I am prepared to strike a compromise with you, Ford Mo. Co. Bring out an FX4 Explorer Sport with EVERYTHING you've got on the Ranger, and we'll call it good...as long as you don't forget the MANUAL TRANSFER CASE! You could throw in manual locking hubs as a show of good faith, however.

I realize this is a huge compromise compared to the dream trucks we built on this thread, but I'll take an FX4 version of reality over my fantasies any day. The more I think about it, the more I think it may be reasonable...the last Bronco rumor I heard was that the Explorer Sport (or some version of it) would be re-badged the Bronco. No, that's not just the 2+ year-old Blue Oval News blurb...heard it last on Ford-Trucks.com, where they've been chasing down rumors of a 2-door short-wheelbase Excursion. I also know Bronco enthusiasts (such as myself...owned 76, 78 and 80 Broncos and a 90 Bronco II) would completely stroke out if they simply rebadged the current Explorer Sport as-is. Yes, an FX4 Explorer Sport/Bronco would be a compromise...but I think we have to take what we can get, and it would be leaps and bounds beyond what we have available right now.

http://www.off-road.com/fordracing/fx4/

P.S. I second the motion for an off-road "tuner" division at Ford...SVT, meet FX4...

Funny that you should mention a SWB Excursion. I hadn't heard such rumors, but that's exactly how I envisioned it to be if they revive the fullsize Bronco. I mean, c'mon! It's almost all off-the-shelf parts if they build it on the 3/4 or 1 ton truck chassis. The SWB flatbed trucks have the right length frame for a Bronco, almost all the body and interior panels are already being produced for the Excursion. Just offer it with all three engine options, don't make a 2wd, and there ya go! I know we all miss the early Bronco, but I don't think we'll ever see anything like that again, other than the Land Rover Defender 90 and the Mercedes-Benz G-class (if there is a 2-dor SWB model of those, I really don't know). I think we've got a much better shot at seeing the big Bronco come back than the small one. :smoke:

P.S. - I second the motion for FX4 packages, maybe offer them on all the Ford SUV's? And I third my own motion for an off-road tuner division.

Hey Joe this one is just for you...
Dead Link Removed

Some numbers:
In line 8, 4.0 l, 32 V
Turbo Diesel Common Rail Direct Injection
250 hp @ 4000 rpm.
182 km/h about 115 mph
Don't know about the torque...
Price? More! :mad: ;)

It also comes with two different gas engines or 3 doors not convertible.
The french army uses a version built by Peugeot w/ a 2.5 l turbo diesel, around 150 hp. Not really over powered but a real off-roader.

Did I mention it's only available in Europe ? :D

Originally posted by dbarale
Don't know about the torque...

Max. torque: 415 lb ft. @ 1'700 rpm that's what I call "low-end torque" :D

Oyez... Oyez...

2-Door Galendewagen... I think those will be coming to the US in 2003, or will they only be importing the 4-door units? Either way, I WANT ONE! A 4.0l I8... I love it. It's just not fair, you know? That thing probably costs 80 grand, if not more... Maybe we could convince Ford to bring in the 2-door Land Rover Discovery, they could rebadge it as the Bronco if they wanted to, I wouldn't argue. But what we want never comes 'round anymore... :smoke:

Hell ya...put the 3.9l 4 cylinder cummins in it...
cummin1.gif

hey guys i have a pic of something i started working on after i read this thread if one of you want to post it that would be sweet, you might like it, i think it will eat jeeps.

edit: wilson_nick_w@msn.com email me if you would like to post it for me!!!

Originally posted back in 8-2000 by Paul Gagnon:

Bronco re-born

Here is what I would like to see. Some of the items are current Ford practices (high roof) and some used to be but have since been taken away (long travel seat tracks, passenger's door keyhole,) or made optional(skid plates).

I would like to see a the Bronco re-born as an updated version of the classic '66-'77 models. First off it MUST be full frame. Unibody just does not cut it in a truck. I would like to see it with a 100" wheelbase, a solid axle non c-clip 8.8 in the front, a solid axle 9.25" rear end (again non c-clip). Coil spring suspension all around. Available three speed transfer case (4:1 super low, 2.72:1 low, 1:1). Optional locking differentials (preferably electric or cable actuated). Available manual shift everything. Same engine choices as a an F150 and maybe a small turbo diesel. Manual transmission available for every engine combination. Air intake at cowl height. Removable hard top and soft top options. Round headlights like an Early Bronco. Grille and body panels an updated version of an Early Bronco. Available chrome grille and bumpers. Heavy duty STEEL bumpers with a receiver built into the rear bumper so it doesn't look like an add on (or hang down too far). No plastic bumpers, not even as an option! Available with a rubber floor mat instead of carpet (carpet optional). Bolt on inner fenders and radiator support (just like trucks of old). Relatively low step in height WITHOUT sacrificing ground clearance (ie: narrower door sills and rocker panels). All drive line and exhaust parts tucked up inside the frame. Skid plates as a standard feature. Available waterproof seating fabric. Great sounding audio system with Marine speakers (waterproof). Roll cage that does not use the windshield as the front support. Possibly a fold down windshield. Two doors only. Rear tailgate without power window. Locking steel storage compartment. Minimum 25 gallon gas tank. Optional dual batteries. 6000lb towing capability. Minimum 31" tires with wheel openings that are around the same size as an F150. Overall width no more than 72". Minimal front and rear overhang (no more than 8" not including bumper). Oversize easily folding mirrors (with power optional). Seats that are adjustable for people who are tall. A high roof line so that taller people can see out the windows. All trim levels available but options also easily chosen individually. Available front bench seat. Seating for 5. Basically what I want is full size running gear available on something that is approximately the width of an Explorer Sport and maybe a little bit shorter AND that looks somewhat reminiscent of an Early Bronco.

And another thing. If people want a nice smooth car-like ride in an SUV build them a CAR BASED SUV. Don't go messing up the trucks(and truck based SUVs), taking the truck out of trucks. I love the way that trucks ride compared to what they used to be and I love all the fancy options but don't assume that if I order leather in a truck that I don't intend to do any work with it because I do and so do most other people who are going to be looking at them. A comfortable roomy truck is what people want but they still want it to be a work horse just the same. Or lets say for example that they want an F150 SuperCrew. They want a truck but they also want to have the roomy interior and comfort too. They want to be able to order the 7700 package on an F150 SuperCrew and I want a 6' box on an F150 SuperCrew and they want to have a normal tailgate and box on an F150 SuperCrew not some funky hybrid fleetside box with a stepside tailgate and lights that make the box opening 8" narrower than a regular box. Can anyone guess why I didn't buy one?

Also any vehicle that I buy had better have at least as many standard features as it did last year. It had better have a key hole on the passengers door and that had better not be an extra cost option or I will go elsewhere. Hello Ford are you listening?

I think they got the styling you were after. Its pretty much what you described. Then they kinda screwed up the rest of it and put a weak drivetrain under it.

a004-bronco-0104n-4.jpg

r1324053269.jpg

All i want ford to build is a high clearence, high torque, solid axle vehicle with optional lockers and a soft top so i can let my teeth catch some bugs when i wheel.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ford_broncoconcept.jpg

Back