No Wrangler Fighter-Eater/Bronco/USV?!?!? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

No Wrangler Fighter-Eater/Bronco/USV?!?!?

Not Yet

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 F-150, '76 Bronco
You have GOT to be kidding me...

Now they're NOT building it? I just spent a week hunting with my dad and his buddy, and the poor fellas had to listen to me talk about "the new Bronco coming out in 2002" the entire time!

Some thoughts...

1) Why would they show a proto of a vehicle then say at the same time they have no plans to build it? Trying to gauge consumer reaction and/or tease us poor, long-suffering loyalists?

2) I'm pretty sure I've seen this truck before (the "Explorer USV"). I remember seeing an old pic of a proto on some other website that was from a Fabulous Fords show or something. It also looks like a Land Rover Defender proto pic some guy on a Bronco mailing list sent me...I'll try to dig that one up and post it here.

3) If they're not building it, I'M PISSED! As I've raged before, I'm sick and tired of being loyal to a company/brand that won't build what I want. If this truck is really dead, then I'm buying a Jeep (Wrangler) in the next year...screw waiting until 2002/3 to see if Ford pulls their heads out of their @$$e$ (and I'm not going to pay $35+K for a D90). Between my father and myself, we've owned 17 Ford vehicles, including 4 Broncos and 2 Explorers. If I do buy a Jeep, I will never be a "Blue-Blooded Ford Guy" again. I will closely examine every other make (yes, even CHEVY) before I buy any future vehicle, and my disappointment in Ford will no doubt affect my decision.

Are you LISTENING, Ford? You leak info of a capable 4x4 SUV, people are excited as hell, ready to buy one, and now it's dead? There IS an alternative out there with solid axles, manual tranny & transfer case, that is easily modified to individual tastes...it's called a JEEP WRANGLER! There used to be another one around, from, oh, say, 1966-1977...what was it called again?

Sorry to rage on again...thanks for a forum to do so, though...just feel jerked around, is all.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you LISTENING, Ford? You leak info of a capable 4x4 SUV, people are excited as hell, ready to buy one, and now it's dead? There IS an alternative out there with solid axles, manual tranny & transfer case, that is easily modified to individual tastes...it's called a JEEP WRANGLER! There used to be another one around, from, oh, say, 1966-1977...what was it called again?

I am there dude... I hate the idea that Ford is turning all their vehicles EXCEPT for the cheapo crapo sedans into overly priced luxery cars. I think Ford is trying to work themselfs into a corner with their new vehicles and lock out anyone who is a)between the age of 16-25, b)who doesn't make enough to buy the truck/car he wants new due to all the fancy crap thats going on them now. I myself can do without alot of the rif-raf thats on new vehicles. Sure its cool but at the same time how often do you use some of it.

Originally posted by Not Yet
There used to be another one around, from, oh, say, 1966-1977...what was it called again?
International Scout

Ford isn't the only one dropping the ball. The after-market world is ignoring us too. We drive the number one selling SUV in the world and 4 years after my 97 was built I still cant find didally squat in performance parts. But 2 months after the Focus comes out there are superchargers, turbo kits, suspension kits, name it! What gives. I'm with you. After 20 years of being a dedicated Ford man, I'm seriously considering trading it in for a Toyota. I have been researching for over a year on modifying my 4.0 and there is relatively little out there. I'm getting tired of it.

I hope someone from Ford reads this. But then again, they haven't given a damn so far. Or so it would appear.

Signed,

Tired of being forgotten!

No Wrangler Fighter

I wonder if we ourselves didn't make Ford think twice about releasing it. Ford did get a lot of input from us and others in the fourwheeling community.

They want to stick with modifying a Ranger platform and do not seem willing to start from scratch to build the Wrangler fighter. Too much expense, so they have to use an existing platform. I believe we may have convinced them that unles they put a solid axle up front, everyone would still complain about it.

Plus, fat-Gary-who-jumps-from-Explorers (or whatever his name was) from last year in Moab was on the development team. That's 2 strikes against the project from the get-go.

Who knows.

[Edited by GJarrett on 11-21-2000 at 02:47 PM]

Re: No Wrangler Fighter

Originally posted by GJarrett

Plus, fat-Gary-who-jumps-from-Explorers (or whatever his name was) from last year in Moab was on the development team. That's 2 strikes against the project from the get go.

Who knows.

Honestly I don't even know why that whole second group of Ford people were even there. The first group that went on the first Colorado Run knew their stuff. They were friendly and willing to take down info. The second group who I met in Moab were all sorta just there cause they could be and really didn't know much about anything from the impresion I got.

Back