Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Mount Vernon, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1st Gen XLT 4dr
Callsign
KG7VTT
Well, I went to a no bundries experience and spoke to every ford engeneer I could find. Compiled evidence shows that the Land Rover Defender will be the base model for the upcoming wrangler fighter. At this point, they are unsure how to badge the new vehicle, but as I told the Ford reps that they seel cars under different names in different countries, why not SUV's or trucks. They were all very hush hush about the new truck, but as I said, alittle here, and a little there, I wa able to find this out. I can't wait.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Way to go!!!!

This would be the way to go!

I was at the Mid Atlantic Land Rover Rally this week-end and tried to investigate about the future of Land Rover and Ford. Nobody I talked to knew anything! I'm also not sure if any "official" Land Rover person was attending this Land Rover event, which is the biggest and most important Land Rover event, if not for the entire U.S., than at least on the East Coast.
Anyway, nobody has seen any official participation of Land Rover North America this year, which is rather strange.

There were some nice rigs to see and I noticed, I still have a loooooong way to go with my Explorer ...

[Edited by donkey boy on 10-09-2000 at 06:25 AM]

Just glancing through one of the 4wheeler mags yesterday and saw something. The new CH**y truck seem to be ready to come out with a 4 wheel steering system ( Quadrasteer). Something about it coming in the 2002 models I believe. I wonder if Ford will try and match this?

Delphi Automotive developed a system for the Super Duty. It should be out with in the next couple of years.

BRONCO, BRONCO, BRONCO!!!!

Badging it should be a no-brainer...assuming it's going to have an off-road orientation and hence be worthy of the heritage, it's gotta be a Bronco! Ford did it right with the original in 1965/66 when they brought out a truck to compete with Jeep...they didn't just copy the CJ, they went beyond it (V8, half-ton running gear, etc.). Here's hoping they do it right again (V8/diesel, half-ton running gear [SOLID AXLES!], heavy duty manual transfer case & tranny, etc.).

Ford has a huge opportunity here...I just hope they remain focused on function and don't get too wrapped up in marketing it to absolutely everyone and end up "watering it down." Remember, the Explorer will still be there for the boulevard cruisers, and you can offer the BRONCO with a myriad of options to appeal to a wider crowd. As long as I get a function-first 'wheeler with some comfy options, I'll be thrilled!

Keep sharing the news as folks get it!

Back