Build your Wrangler fighter here! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Build your Wrangler fighter here!

Bronco

I don't know whether to be excited or pissed that I'm being teased again with a new Bronco...

Kinda funny isn't it? In late 1965, the 66 Bronco was introduced to compete against the Jeep CJ5. Fast forward to late 2003, when the 04 Bronco hopefully (PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE!) will be introduced to compete against the Jeep Wrangler. Do we see a trend here...like Ford playing catch-up?

I'm hoping they do us as well as they did with the Early Bronco. Their "CJ Fighter" offered things the CJ didn't: more interior room while maintaining a short wheelbase, V8 option, 1/2-ton running gear, etc. I think they need to take the same line now: go BEYOND the Wrangler, i.e., V8 & turbodiesel options, manual gear-driven transfer case with extreme (4:1) low range (Atlas II), granny 5-speed (NV4500!), BEEFY solid (non-C-clip) axles, manual locking hubs (Warn Premium), lockers (just make 'em tough!), a little more interior room while maintaining a wheelbase under 100 inches and options to satisfy everyone from the hardcore 'wheeler to the sporty-image folks to the grocery-getters. Of course, they need to do the things the Wrangler does well already, especially allowing for wide-ranging aftermarket support (did someone say simple and basic?).

Overbuilt? HELL, YES! THAT is what can make it stand out from the Wrangler! And the pieces necessary are already out there or will be soon (V8 & turbodiesel, Atlas II, NV4500, etc.); they just need to put them together in a package from the factory! No one's done it that way, and it will set them apart and above if they're willing to be the first.

I sincerely hope they don't miss the boat on this one...I'm damned close to giving up and going the way of the J**p. This, after 30 years of Broncos in my family (70, 78, 80, 90)...last chance, Ford.

[Edited by Not Yet on 08-12-2000 at 10:09 AM]

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Re: Bronco

Originally posted by Not Yet
[B Do we see a trend here...like Ford playing catch-up?[/B]

Kinda funny that you ask because Ford has always played catch up with very few exceptions, namely Mustang and maybe one or two others. The great thing is that they catch up very well and usually end up becoming the benchmark but sadly Ford tends to rest on their laurels a little too much and they fall behind having to play catch up again.

I love the idea of a real live Bronco coming back into production but only if it is in the spirit of the original Bronco. We don't need anymore RX300 type vehicles.

We need more responses

Even if you are saying the same things as other people we need to hear it. The more people who respond the better idea we'll have of what people want. Of course, the more something is mentioned the more likely it would show up on a vehicle. If the right people see it. Thanks Guys!

ok I'll toss in my own ideas, which are quite different from some other peoples because I like the ability to configure, or have the thing come bone stock with almost nothing. Obviously i'd get charged for the lxuury items.

I don't think anyone would argue that options that come straight from the factory, while they might cost more will be worth it in the long run.
Examples are following...
-Gears... the gears themselves aren't so expensive its the labor to put them in, and then you have to get rid of the old gears somehow. If you just started off with the right gears, you wouldn't have to pay for TWO times having the gears installed - once for the guy at Ford (or robot, whatever) to install the gears, then once more for the second installer to remove the old/install the new)
-Factory installed winches/winch mounts. Not only would these be a warrantyable item by Ford but then you wouldn't have to figure out some back ass-words way of installing them, and MAKE A SWITCH THAT GOES THROUGH THE FIREWALL AND IS ON YOUR DASH. I'm working on that for my winch, been checking out some different options, unfortanetly I seem to be the only one that thinks having to find a 6 foot remote is incredibly pain-staking and a lot of unnecessary time, especially if its buried in the back. This could also be incorporated so that people couldn't steal your cable (Ive heard of it happening... if you need more cable just take your remote to another winch, plug it in and unspool, save yourself some money.
-better brake rotors and pads... duh. And I like the idea of selectable ABS, sometimes it might come in handy but there are times where I will want to stop on a dime and if I want to brake so hard the back end comes up and the front bumper hits the ground, thats my problem.
-a global position system with street-level maps already loaded in, and a bigger screen than my Garmin GPS. It's great but having street-level maps already installed would save a ton of time and wouldn't require taking a laptop with you everywhere you go. It would also be cool because it could be integrated into the dash and not sticking up within plain view for everyone to see and steal.
-better speakers/speaker amplifiers. I get sick of replacing the speakers in every vehicle I ever buy. If it came with better speakers I wouldn't always have to buy new ones and spend the time installing them - once again, it would be cheaper to pay $300 more to Ford then have to spend another $400 on speakers/amps and having to install/pay to have installed.
-aftermarket quality alarm system. The alarms that come with Fords have few features and easily bypassed. Get one that comes with all the features aftermarket ones do (such as paging you when the alarm goes off, keyless entry, remote start, being able to roll up/roll down windows from 100 feet away, etc.)
-a bigger engine. I like the 4.6L I had in my 98 F-150, the 4.0L in my 94 is grossly underpowered and I've been considering upgrading it (but saving for a house interferes)
-improved exhaust system... thats another thing I hate having to spend more money on. Save the time and money and have Ford install a better one. I don't see why not, they give more power and better mileage...
-something more then "check engine" light. I believe they had a message center that would give you more information on what the error was, but the computer knows what the check engine light means, why not just tell us instead of giving an orange light? Perhaps this could be integrated with the GPS to give an on-screen message of what is wrong with the engine.
-integrated cell phones. No, I'm not talking a phone that comes pre-installed in to the car. I've always wanted a cell phone with a mic near the steering wheel and the stereo speakers would be the cell phone speaker. You have to turn down the stereo while using the phone anyways ;). This would be much safer as people wouldn't be fumbling with phones and numbers, maybe if it was a voice-recognizing one it would be even better. Clarion had one integration witht he AutoPC where you would say "Call Steve" or whatever and instantly it would start dialing the number. This would be kind of similar to onstar in the GM vehicles.
-the option of an air locker or even a detroit locker. Once again, pay one guy at Ford to install it rather then one guy at Ford, then another guy to take it out and reinstall a new one. The switches could be better integrated in to the dash as well then.
-dual batteries. Or at least ROOM to put a second one in without heavy modification!
-more "hot when on" fuses, and preferably a few in the engine compartment somewhere. I can't think of the amount of time I would've saved going through to firewall on all my light installs because I wanted the switch to only come on when the vehicle was running, and had to use the radio fuse because it was the only one available.
-Better lights. The fog lights you pay $200 for from Ford are a JOKE, the only good thing about em is that the switch isn't too ugly and it is actually well-integrated into the dash! Now granted Ford is never going to offer the option of 8 roof-mounted driving lights and 4 front winch mounted lights, but it'd be nice to have a nice set of integrated driving lights that actually lit up the road. Might I suggest PIAA's? :)
-heavier duty bumpers, and more then one design of possible bumpers to choose from, and more then just chrome bumpers too. I HATE chrome.
-the option of carrying a larger spare tire, either underneath or as a swing-away tire carrier, but make it strong enough to hold at least a 33" tire, none of this "not larger then 28" tires" recommendations.
-LOVE the idea of a convertible option like the wrangler. Soft top, bikini top, or hard top. I LOVE that idea. There has been many times I've wanted to take off the roof but can't :).
-adjustable shocks with an intergrated switch, the rancho rs-9000's are great but the switch is obtuse and quite unattractive, having a simple switch would be awesome.
-more grommets in the firewall. I've had to drill about 5 or 6 holes and that is not an easy hole to drill, very tense as your hoping you don't hit anything on the other side :).
-I love the idea of a computer that could be configured by more then just the dealer. This would probably lead to legal problems as some guy would undoubtedly fry his engine and then blame Ford, but its a ncie thought. Easier speedo calibration as well (for example, tell the computer that you upgraded from 28" tires to 33" tires and it would make all the necessary changes"
-Tow hooks, or at least the ability to put tow hooks in easily.
-speaking of tow hooks, more holes in the frame to get a wrench through.
-step bars like Warn used to make... nice and sturdy, then your going off-roading and don't want to ding em, just undo a few connections and off they come. Then when ready to put them on again, hook em up and connect again, 15 minutes both ways.
-Manual Hubs (or like the F-250's have [I think], manual and automatic in the same hub), the automatic hub for light 4-wheel drive like in snow and stuff, then be able to turn it manually for heavy duty off-roading, etc.
-Solid Axles (and not the weak ones they put in the Cherokees either, I want something I WONT have to upgrade)
-Sway bars that are easier to take off, disconnect/reconnect
-seats that don't collapse when a big guy sits in em too long. I love living in luxury so give me the same seating options I can get in a Lexus... heated toosh, maybe a soft massage... hi-enough for a tall guy like me
-speaking of tall guys, make it so tall people can drive it and not feel cramped. It's not BAD at this already, but more legroom and the ability to NOT hit my legs on the dash would be nice. Of course lets not leave out the short guys either. Make it so they can see good and not have to reach for the pedals (adjustable pedals)
-speaking of pedals, how about some pedals with some real grips? SO you could get in with muddy feet and not be slipping all over the pedals.
-an interior thats easier to pull apart, possibly more pieces to it. Whenever I've had to install stereo equipment or lighting wires or antennas or whatever its always a pain to get around the order of the trim panels, etc. and then if you don't get it exactly right, its screwed up for good. This way if you wanted to replace a speaker you wouldn't have to pull off the whole door panel, and if you wanted to run a wire along the trim you wouldn't have to remove a huge piece like the part in the rear cargo area
-body bolts that don't break when removing them, LOL.
-a roof rack, a TRUE roof rack would be a nice option
-one idea that a lot of contractors have when building houses is before putting up the final walls, run a bunch of empty pipes from the attic to teh basement with opening on the floors in between (covered up of course). That way if someone wants to run an attic antenna they don't have to rip open their walls, drill holes and so forth. Why not have channels or some way where people could run wire (from a CB antenna for example) from the front of the vehicle to the rear of the vehicle, without pulling up pieces of trim and having to hide things under carpet, etc.
-perhaps have some pre-drilled/plugged holes in the roof (if it will be a permanent hard top type like the explorer), that way if you want to run a CB antenna to the roof, just pull up the plug and run the wire through.
-option of larger tires from the factory, or the ability to fit them. Granted they cant go too big because of insurance regulations and rollover rates and so forth, but bigger then 28" might be nice.
-empty spots in the fuse block for some 30-amp fuses for whatever you need em for - lights, stereo equipment, CB, GPS, whatever...
-the same option as the sporttrac's have with the removable carpet, thats pure genius.
-windows that don't cost $1000 plus labor to replace?
-a K&N type air filter from the factory. Once again that way you pay for just one air filter and you don't have to mess with installing it... An open air filter like the KKM is a cool idea too.
-another cool thing that a lot of people buy aftermarket but ford could really get in on - and integrate better in to the vehicle is a cooler. NOt necessarily a $900 option like the ARB's just a cooler powered by the battery. Or put a cigarette lighter outlet int he cargo area so I don't have to run an extension cord all the time :).

I think the key that Ford should realize is taking products that people are buying, and use them and integrate them more in to the vehicle. A good example is the blinking turn signal lights that some guy came up with for the F-150's. Ford buys them from this guy (or maybe they bought the rights, I don't recall) and put them on at the factory as an option. THen people don't have to take out their old product to put in the new one, and then everything is integrated with no ugly switches and wires dangling all over the place.

OK so I think that's about it, I'll probably think of more later. I realize this will probably sound like a "HAL" machine or somethign , but these are not unrealistic options I don't think, and many of them I know people would be willing to pay for! If you read through I think my longest post ever, congratulations, LOL

[Edited by mattadams on 08-12-2000 at 06:56 PM]

Gotta have choices of several V8's!!!!!

This is a great thread.

The reason I bought my 96 sport is because of riding in my friends 86 Bronco. The sport is my first truck and its been a learning experience. FORD, you HAVE TO BRING BACK THE BRONCO!!!! The truck (notice I didn't say suv?) has to have a sturdy frame. No car like wanna be. I didn't buy my truck to be a car! I wanted a truck to do truck stuff with. This new truck has to have choices of a couple of v8's. If I recall, the Broncos came with 302's, 351's, or 400's. Of course you have to have big beefy solid axles at both ends with springs. The gearing would have to be a minimal of 4.10's out the door. And would tow over 7500 lbs easy. 4 wheel activation will be a MANUAL lever on the floor. More or less this TRUCK will be back to basics. American steel and heavy. I say don't even print the mileage figures cause we need a big ass truck that will work!

F'in Bob

Just keeping this thread active.

ok Char you asked for it, so I thought of a few more things I'd want in my Ford to compete with a Wrangler.
-first off, have the guys at Ford put together a nice slogan for this new vehicle. Ig et sick of hearing "you know what Ford stands for don't you? FOund on roadside dead, driver returnes on foot, fixed or repaired daily, bla bla bla" I'm sure thos high-paid guys can think of of SOMETHING
-I don't know if anyone recommended it already or not, but removeable body parts such as doors, removable windows, etc. like the wrangler would be helpful. I can think of many times I've wanted to remove my doors so I could actually see where I was, but couldn't.
-in addition to a lot of integrated switches, make the dash flow. One of the main things I don't like about the Wrangler is how "blocky" it looks, nothing flows, everything is here, there, wherever.
-temperature sensors, more then just coolant. It'd be helpful to have a transmission temperature gauge or differential temperature guage, nothing big and blocky like you can buy from autometer, but small and integrated like oil fluid level guages.
-130 amp altenator... at least.
-perhaps have aftermarket lights as a dealer installed option... not necessarily name brands like PIAA or KC or whatever, but Ford driving lights that could be installed to a factory-provided light bar option. Once again, integration is a good thing :).
-skid plates... even if these are an option and not as good as aftermarket, they'd still be extremely helpful.

ok, I think thats it...

Re: Gotta have choices of several V8's!!!!!

Originally posted by F'in Bob
This new truck has to have choices of a couple of v8's.

This is why I suggested the same engine choices as an F150. That would give us a 4.2L V6, 4.6L V8 and the 5.4L V8. I have no experiance with the 4.2L but the 4.6L is a great engine that makes some sweet sounds. It does a decent job a pulling around the heavy F150s and Expeditions and should be great in a smaller vehicle like the Explorer and hopefully this new Bronco(as I hope it will be named). The 5.4L is a fantastic engine. It is one of those engines that you don't need to rev up to get going but you really can't help yourself when you hear it rumble and then make it roar! I sure hope that they can make the 5.4 available for the Bronco.

P.S. Even though we have no idea what this new TRUCK will be called lets start calling it Bronco and maybe, just maybe, if Ford is watching they will get the hint that we want the Bronco back!!!!!! Not just in name but also in the spirit of the original '66-'77 models!

materials

Let's talk a about materials. :cool: I think we all agree that we would like to see a solid steel frame with a solid steel bumper on each end. We also would like to see that Ford calibrates all parts of the driveline, and uses then parts that are actually one tick stronger than what it would need to be. If we build the entire car like this, we will even beat the Hummer -- regarding weight :nono:

For saving weight, why not using super light materials for everything that has nothing to do with the structure or stability of the car. Building, similar to a race car or the sniper, a rollbar kind of bodystructure and cover it with a kind of easy bolt-on, soft plastic body parts, like the kind of plastics used on the fender flares of the Defender for example. The advantage of soft plastics, besides its light weight, is that you are able to bend and twist it (to a certain degree) and it just springs back to its original shape. Small dings are no issue anymore. Additionally, I think this kind of material is avaliable as recycling material from pet bottles (enviromental-friendly, one sales argument more for Ford's marketing department :D ) The draw-back: once the impact was too big, it will break and needs to be replaced rather than repared.

In the interior for parts with high demands on strength, like seat frames for example, use a combination of aluminum for light weight with steel inlets for strength and wear resistancy. Let the rollbar stucture be visible, don't bother too much with hiding all the aluminum and steel. This saves weight, and they are easy-to-clean surfaces which add a technical and functional look to the car (look at the Audi TT).

Carbon fibers would also be a possibility, but they are very expensive, and unluckily costs will be a further issue we will need to deal with. :eek:

Using high tech material does not automaticly mean that the whole thing becomes high tech. As it was pointed out several times, KEEP IT SIMPLE, that people can work on it in their driveway with conventional tools. For mechanical components, why not going with the approach of using the most reliable and commonly used components already on the market, rather than going with expensive new inventions with no spares or upgrades avaliable. This would help keeping developement and production costs down, and would also help afterwards dealers and individuals to keep maintenance cheap 'n easy. :cool:

[Edited by donkey boy on 08-14-2000 at 06:45 AM]

Bronco resurection

In any movie or book that I have watched or read, when someone or something comes back from the afterlife, it has always been bigger, better, and more powerfull than it was before.

Let's break this down.
1)BIGGER: Axles, transfer case, tires.
2)BETTER: Creature coforts, ease of repair, integrated GPS w/ ability to talk to vehicle computer for diagnostics and tuning (tire sizes, timing, speedo calibration, and error codes), seats, removable hard top and associated soft top, plenty of aftermarket gadgets.
3)MORE POWERFULL: engine (torque more than HP), drivetrain (drive shafts, u-joints, gears.

These are pretty general, but the more products that you start with that are already out there, the cheaper and less design costs will improve the price of the vehicle. A good 4.6L V-8 w/ a modified cam to improve torque, Atlas II transfer case, Dana 60 solid axles or greater(front and rear) suspended w/ long travel coils, large u-joints on driveshafts and steering axle (no cv joints).
Other things I would like to see are a full integrated roll bar (possibly external for rigid body parts and internal for rubbermaid body parts), plenty of storage in wasted space (area behind quarter panel on explorer), lots of tie down points, steel bumbers able to hod the weight of the vehivle at the corners, factory swing away tire racks(no need for jerry can since you can now put a larger or secondary tank in that hole where the tire used to be), cup holders that actually hold a cup in any situation(sorry, pet peeve), a backup light that you can actually see at night through a tinted window, no firestone tires, and a cooling system that can handle a little more than towing a boat down the freeway.

I have plenty more, but now they start sounding like a dream. I will have to write more in later so as not to get myself to excited for the reallity that it doesn't exhist, YET:(

[Edited by Mac on 08-14-2000 at 06:01 PM]

well the first thing you would have to do is throw out the ford engine and slap a Toyota 4Runner engine in it or the v8 tundra engin better, that way it will last more then 7 years.

Wranler Fighter

I may not be the most experienced here..but here is what I think. Anyone driven a 2k f150 xlt 4x4 off road w/o lsd...there is something special about that truck!!! My father-in-law has one. WE CAN'T GET IT STUCK!!!! It's just has the factory 17"rims, Wranger at/s tires,superchip, Airaid high flow intake and gibson swept side cat-back. We've tried quite a bit to slam it stuck, snow, mud, can't get it stuck. Ford came up with something for that machine. Oh yeah, it has the 5.4L. We think it's something to do with the auto tranny. It does some pretty neat things in 4 low. I would like to see the same technology in "THE WRANGLER FIGHTER". I would like to see something like an Explorer, but with some kind of "OFF ROAD PACKAGE". 4x4's used to be built for off roading, now they are designed for "soccer moms" and "grocery getters". That's all good, but what about us Ford? Can we actually build a "wrangler fighter"...I don't think so. Wranglers are in their own class (my opinion), and Wranglers have their own crowd, people who have them won't change...hence...It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand. Can Ford make something better...Well SURE!!! Hope Ford listens to all of us...FORD----Take your daggone time!!! Build this thing right...forget all that electronic gadget stuff like auto hubs and electric-on-the-fly crap! We want reliability...not convience so much. We need ground clearance!!! I would also like to see a Bronco...Revisited! I don't see Ford producing a fully off-road-anywhere-anyhow vehicle, granted we would love it, but they still want to sell it to those "soccer moms" and "grocery getters". I think a beafy optional package would suffice..how bout options like bigger tires/rims, higher suspension, roll bar, several engine sizes, more diff selections, some kinda washable/hoseable interior, removable hard top w/a built in soft top/convertable. Maybe make more "upgrade friendly", and on that note, get the aftermarket people involved, let's see some parts for this thing!!! Well, think I've said enough for now...maybe more later when I learn more!!!

Well, it seems like everyone is going bigger as in Bronco-sized, unless they are referring to the much older, smaller Bronco. How about a 2-door Expedition?

Myself, I'd prefer something smaller, lighter, maybe in the 3500 pound range. Isn't that where the Wrangler sits?

Haven't been in here in a long time... things have changed.

Anyway,
You have my vote for a V8!!!!!

The ability to do mild modifications (small lift, bigger tires, etc.) and NOT void the warranty.

No pansy push button 4WD.... I want a shifter.

No automatic hubs (get rid of the having to roll backwards to disengage)

I little bit more room for storage in the back than the SWB Jeep has had all these years.

Ford already has a Wrangler fighter, as everybody said, the Defender. Slap a blue oval on that bad boy and bring it over. I doubt if they'll do it, they're rather cater to soccer moms who make that number on the bottom line bigger than people who actually care about what they drive. Hey Ford-Dead Link Removed that's for turning your trucks into pansy vehicles.

On a lighter note. Dodge is making a big come back. Anybody see that 300 Hemi C? Daaaaaaaaaaamn. I just found out today that they gave the green light to bring back the Charger. It's got a Hemi(yes!!!!!!), no specs given, and it's RWD, wooohooo!!!! Hey Ford, play catch up as usual, bring back the Fairlane, big V8 with RWD. People will love it. Dodge is making money of retro cars, you like money don't you?

one other thing I just thought of, and I don't know why this is so hard to grasp, but... pick one form of bolt, and stick with it. What I mean is no some-standard, some-metric, its a pain in the ass! Some bolts are 5/16, some 10mm, just make it easy so I only have to bring along one set of sockets and wrenches instead of the whole toolbox!

Matt,
I b%#ched about that at last years Color Run to Rick Haas, Vera and Tim. The answer was 'Yeah, we know that's a problem and we'll straighten it out. But the engine is made in Germany, so everything on it is metric'. Yeah, but how come I have metric bolts to hold on the step bars on my Sport?

Peter, you can blame Ronnie Reagen for this dilemma. The US was supposed to completely convert to metric by '85 Ronnie put a stop to the mandate and here we are.

Ford doesn't build everything in house. They buy loads of parts from outside vendors. Some are US companies that have converted to metric, some are foreign companies that have always used metric, others are US companies that are stone walling and still use SAE hardware. I just wish we could have went metric and from then on we would never have to worry about metric conversions or two sets of tools again.

Rick,
I remember it well. I was living in Canada ( I had moved there in the 60's) from Germany. In the 70's the Canada and the US were going to go metric in a coordinated effort. I was in charge of building a database of every piece of equipment that needed to be changed and identifying all the products that needed to be converted (about 5,000 of them) at the company I worked for. In the beginning the US was driving the whole thing and pushing like crazy to get the conversion done (about 1975 or 76 or so) and we busted our you know what to not fall behind. I was forever running to Toronto for meetings with the co-ordination committee. Then all of a sudden, the interest in the US kind of died. Canada went ahead anyway and, as we all know, has been metric for some time.
I grew up using metric in Germany, had to switch to imperial (some differences to US standard, like gallon, quarts, etc.). Then, when Canada went metric, back to metric. In the late '70's, when I moved to California, switch again to US standard.
So, if anybody needs anything converted in this area, just let me know. I'm somewhat of an expert. :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

AHEM... Back to the Subject

Sorry it took so long for me to get to this, but I've been a little busy lately :D

Most of the good ideas were made early on but like Rick said, I can still say it even if it has already been said. I will also try to be realistic. I too want big steel bumpers but with EPA and mileage requirements and etc we are not going to see a 5,500 pound vehicle being produced. And Ford is not going to put a K&N and Mobil One in there for me; they are going to put in Motorcraft. Etc.

As opposed to spending a few extra billion designing something from scratch, take your newly-acquired Defender, make it US legal, and call it a Bronco in honor of the early model Broncos.

Use the KISS principle, don't overdo it, simple and lightweight as possible, and try to keep the base model affordable to younger buyers. Options can take care of most upgrades.

Big enough to hold four adults. Make the rear seat a removable/collapsable one just like you have as the third seat in the Expedition. It can be tilted up out of the way or even removed for a two-seater with more cargo space. Lots of tiedown cargo points back there.

LARGE fenderwells with wheelweel trim that masks the extra area so that it won't look silly with the 31" aggresively-treaded tires you are going to put on it at the factory. Then when we want to upgrade to 35" or 38" tires we just remove the trim and install new flares.

Catch-All mat type of design tough interior carpet that can easily be removed to leave an oldfashioned bare interior that can be hosed down after a day on the trail. Just open the doors up and hose 'er off.

Lots of excess auxiliary plugs and spare fuse docks. A 130 amp alternator to run them.

Ergonomically designed modern interiors leave little space to install extra CB's, GPS, etc. Leave the center console with removable panels revealing standard size spaces to install all that stuff.

Frame-mounted roll cage option.

Choice of tops like the early Bronco had.

Full size spare on outside rear.

Good approach and departure angles.

Towpoints front and rear; frame ends designed with consideration that winches, etc will be attached to them.

Effective skid plates covering most of the bottom.

Critical items tucked out of harm's way on the undercarriage. My catalytic converter is level with the lowest items under my SUV and is waiting to get creamed.

Double carden CV's and Ujoints that can handle excessive drivetrain angles, then tuck everything way up high and give the vehicle great ground clearance in stock form.

Capable of water crossings. High vent/breather tubes for the axles etc and a high air intake. Critical electronics well protected and way up high also.

Several good engine choices have been suggested. I'll be happy with any of them as long as they have decent power. I have been very happy with my SOHC. HOWEVER, autotrannys MUST be able to offer at least some resistance when rolling downhill. Mine only stays engaged downhill in second gear; way too high even in 4lo. I need to be able to put it in 4lo, then first gear, and have the tranny stay engaged. It currently releases completely to neutral once I start a descent. A day on the trail running downhill is murder on my brakes.

Make the standard 8.8 31 spline a full floater which would greatly strengthen it, negate the need to use a heavier axle, and make it safer to use and get back home on if somethings breaks miles from a road. If you're going to reengineer the drivetrain make sure it offers a LOT of clearance like the Hummer before going that direction.

Bendable plastic fenderwell trim and lower body panels :D

[Edited by GJarrett on 08-21-2000 at 01:03 PM]

Back