Bullit Proof A4LD | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Bullit Proof A4LD

Ok I heard that the A4LD was a piece, Now I believe it! It started slipping between third and fourth and I took it to a friends shop. He Drove it, looked at the fluid and said yep it is frying the clutches. He estimated $1600 plus labor. So I took it wheeling and it has gotten worse, as he predicted. So I have been Looking for a wreck or a cheep tranny, manual or auto- I don't care! I was really upset because I have burned up 1 A4LD and I thought putting a new one in would only be prolonging the problem. I am running 33s and 3.73s. I also love the Rocks. Well, I found a Fix out of Florida:

Heavy Duty/ High Performance A4Ld
Rebuilt totally
3 stage shift kit
custom work for crisper shifts
3.88 first gear (I believe the stock is 3.23)
A taylor made Torque converter
1 year warranty
and a bunch of nice guys who answered all my questions

Total Cost: (Shipping and all) $660

Guess I am putting it in in 2 weeks, I get pictures and a reaction.

I don't have a Job, so this is what I was praying for, guess it got answered.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I got my tranny in today. Woo Hoo. It is going in next week :confused:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

good luck :D

thanks jeremy. I forgot to look at that mount, this weekend I will try to get it done. Did you get the instructions?

nah, haven't tried yet. Too busy with work and school.
one of these days I'll get around to it :rolleyes:

Jeremy- sorry did not get it done. I might go to his house sometime this week I will look at if I do.

410- I have been thinking about putting a new bigger cooler on as well. Does the stock one just not do the job or what? Where do I get a cooler, what do they cost, and what else will I need? Do they use the stock hoses and stuff or what?

I am still waiting on the Torque converter. It better be here by Friday because my friends all took Friday off.

Kirby, no biggy.
I can't even think about startin my SAS for a few more months anyway.. I don't have a garage to work in (it's tooooo short) so I gotta do it in a gravel driveway :rolleyes:
which means I gotta wait 'til it starts gettin a little warmer than 25*F :D

AND ITS IN!!! I am excited! My truck is mobile again. It was a smooth install once I got all the parts required. We finished last night at 3:00 am. It has alot more power. It does, however, Shift a bit awkward. I don't know if I am not used to the shift kit, or it is the break in. The 3.06 first is very cool. It runs like 4.10s on the trail.

The one Hold up I have is the stupid thing wont go into 4low. Any ideas???? It clicks into 4 high, but does nothing into 4 low. Do you guys think it could be something to do with the neutral sensor? is there suck a thing? where is it located? Eveything on the transfer case seems to be plugged in. I want to see how it crawls:( Thanks.

If anybody needs to contact this guy, let me know.

kirby,

make sure your your neutral safty switch has 5 pins. if it has 4 then you'll need to swap in a 5 pin. The #5 pin is a neutral signal for the low range.

Brett

Thank you brett... I will check. I can just unbolt it and slap the old one in right? That is probably the problem!

I found out why I thought it shifts wierd, now thaty the roads are dry. The shift points are at 4,000 RPM for just about every gear. It just feels awkward because it shifts alot less. I think it will be better for it since it shifts less. Man, it is alot faster. My Guy is ready to build some more, any Interest??????

My mistake.

It's actually a 6pin plug. Same concept though.

I might be interested in buying one of those if they're shipping for $900-$1000 I'd like to have a spare A4LD ready to go in case mine craps out again. I had to pay $1025 for a rebuild on mine which is cheap compared to what the rest of you guys have said it has cost.

It cost $120 to ship in the lower 48.

Back