bumper repair...how much would do u think? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

bumper repair...how much would do u think?

ok i'm such a turd, i already know this....
i wasn't paying attention when backing out of my buddies drive way and i backed into his mailbox and address sign (reflective metal sign attached to his mailbox with his address numbers)

Anyways now the bumper on the back of my 04 civic has about a 4-5 inch scratch in it...of course this is a year to the day that i got my car..so what a way to have its one year birthday.

I've never had to have any auto body work done so i have no idea where costs start at...
any ideas?

thanks
ryan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pics? The wifey's Ford Taurus got smacked by an idiot and it involved a complete bumper replacement to the tune of $660. The repair was $580 but I wouldn't accept that on a one year old car.

i'll see what i can do to get some pics..but its bad, but what i would expect in total bumper replacement bad...i'm hoping in the area of 200bucks bad..
i'm soo stupid...i needed my extra money to pay for this semesters books...:(

If you get some pics up, MONMIX can probably give you an idea of costs. He does body work for a living. He knows his stuff.

sweet..i'll get some pics up tomorrow

It all depends on the depth of the scratch. Civics have easy to remove bumper covers so the R&I labor time will be cheap.
A few hunderd and you will be back in business.

I am going to move this to the body work dept.

I knew he would spot this one. :)

anything around the area of 200 would be just perfect...
i got this trying to help a buddy out with his computer....and then this happens..
WHYYY!!?!?
the depth of it is enough to catch your finger nail on..thats about as much as detail as i can provide..i don't know a whole lot about body work or repair.

Monmix i will post a few pics tomorrow...if you could provide your estimate after seeing the pictures i would be truely grateful...just so i know what type of cost to expect when i go around for estimates in my area...

Ok, maybe it's just me, but if you need the money for important things like books, why in the fawk would you spend it on fixing a scratch?! Live with it until you have sufficient funds.

the books are bought i was going to use the extra money i make from my side work to pay the books off my credit card ...just to stay ahead of the game.
i never said i didn't have sufficent funds...just didn't end up working the way i wanted it to.

momix heres a pic of the damage..don't count my poor photography skills against me...but i tried to get a comparison with the LX badges to so can see where in location and in size it is.

Attachments

• darnit.JPG
    darnit.JPG
    11.3 KB · Views: 615

That scratch is fairly significant.
It may cost a bit more.

Good luck looking for a good price.

You could probably save some $ by removing the bumper cover yourself.

Bill Kemp said:
You could probably save some $ by removing the bumper cover yourself.

Some but not much. I would imagine a civic rear cover remove and instal would be 1.5 at best. Far less and $100.00.
But money is money. a pair of 10mm, six phillips screws, seven push clips.
It is a way wasy task if you have a decent panel popper.

gotta love what life throws you sometimes.

Monmix...would you guess it would/should be less than 300???

other pics of my stupidity

Attachments

• untitled1.JPG
    untitled1.JPG
    29.5 KB · Views: 593
  • untitled2.JPG
    untitled2.JPG
    29.5 KB · Views: 611
  • untitled3.jpg
    untitled3.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 609

Couldn't that be filled and repainted? Has to be flexible filler out there. Then prime and repaint. I think that would be much cheaper than whole bumper swap.

I live in New York and park in the streets, you learn no to love your bumper so much. Got license plate screw marks on rear bump week after got truck..

Or you can just put a bumper sticker on it :D

I figured it could be just filled and painted....i would hope so at least
i'll have to get it fixed either way since its a lease and i don't want to buy it out at the end...
I figure since the paint isn't faded alot since its only a year old it may be easier for them to blend the paint in...then again like i said i know very little about body work thats why i posted this :)

filling and painting might still be cheaper than replacing.
Any thing you get from a junkyard is gonna be loaded with knicks and scratches any way.

Most any shop will give you an honest answer as to the cheaper route repair or repalce.

$300.00 is really a guess. I dont write estamates or deal with pricing, I just fix em.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the 32 was a winter time calc...spring/summer i get right around 38.
i'm sure its got the smallest engine they can put in it...i can actually say that i don't remember what is in it..i want to say its a 1.7L non vtec engine

Back