• Register Today It's free!

Busted Head Gasket

DougO83

Reaction score
City, State
Tomball, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Ranger
Ok...My Ex has started losing water and blowing profuse amounts of white smoke out of the exhaust that smells like coolant. So..I figure I am looking at a blown head gasket. My question is this:

How much work am I looking at to replace it? I have the tools and access to someone to machine the heads if needed. How long should I be looking at? Just trying to decide if I need to take a day off or if I can do it in a few days while I am off. Also, what do I need to watch for? Any specific precautions I need to take?

Thanks y'all!!
dougo83

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you have the parts ahead of time, figure 2 leisurly days, and maybe add one to play it safe.

It took me about 11 hours to do it the first time BUT, I would recommend you buy loaded heads and just replace them. It is very rare to blow a gasket and not crack the heads.

Also, if you still have the stock heads you have the 90tm castings. When you buy new heads (say from Alabama Cylinder head for example) you will get the 93tm style castings which is stronger.

Don't forget you need head bolts since they are TTY (torque to yield) and torx bits (t55 IIRC) to pull the head bolts.

One other thing. Keep in mind, I'm not in the rust belt. I broke 0 bolts taking the exhaust manifold off. People in the rust best will not be so lucky.

~Mark

I agree buy new heads.two day job,some can do it in a couple hours;)i don't even mess with exhaust bolts any more,cut the heads off and bolts and replace them;)

DougO83 - I just had to do this on my 91. The best thing to do is to buy the heads at Alabama Cylinder Heads. Thanks to Maniak for telling me about it. I knew I had the orig 90TM heads. You can't see the crack. Start off new. I called Alabama Cylinder Heads, they said they do use the 93TM castings and made them even better. If you do buy from them, get the completed heads. That company does ship fast. (to TN)

I would advice new exhaust bolts. Mine have been cross-threaded before me = fun. I just went to a hardware store and bought metric bolts two different lengths and washers. I don't remember the thread size.

It took me 2 hours to rip it down, about 4 hours to put back. You will need the head gasket kit and new head bolts. T55 torx socket. A right angle drill and wire brush will be your friend.

This is what you want.
https://www.alabamacylinderhead.com/productdetail.php?id=166

I use and recommend engine quest heads.they make a true 93tm-95tm and a 98tm where alabama does not

so my head gasket is out also, i was wondering if my head is really bad, i think the gasket went out this weekend, have only driven the truck twice since then. unfortunately it's my only vehicle and my heavier duty tools are in a different city, if it is a bad head i wouldn't have too many worse effects from driving it there would i? ~100miles

Back