• Register Today It's free!

buying new CV shafts

skoal_mint

Reaction score
City, State
Geraldton ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 explorer sport 4.0
im buying new CV shafts on saturday, i need to make sure that they are the cv shafts which im pretty sure but as long as im hear why not ask.

-going really slow keep hearing a clunk clunk

-turning corners i hear a sound but hard to explane, like the clunking noise but a lot closer togther then the one when im going slow and vibrating

anyone know the prices for a new cv shaft in canada? i'll probly be getting them at napa

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In the US, they are about $60 per side, with about a $50 core deposit. Are you replacing both sides?

yes im replacing both side...what is the core?..i keep seeing that

Thanks

Means they want your old ones back so they can refurb them and resale them.

so if i bring them my old shafts they will give me money? or i have to pay them

so if napa says its price is $66.00 and the core charge is $94 does that mean i have to pay 160?

If you take the old ones in when you pick up new, there will be no core charge.
If you take them back later, they refund the core charge, which you pay up front, when you buy new ones. I'd take the old ones in to make double sure they match, and cut initial outlay of cash

Yeah. I just bought brake calipers. So it was:

$42 for the new calipers
$22 core charge

______
$64

But I got the $22 back when I brought them in my old calipers.

ok, so i should bring them my old pair of shafts then get back the core charge

Take your old shafts in with you , and make sure the new ones match up, before you give up the old ones.

O'Reilly's sells a new Cardone shaft for $90 plus about a $6 core charge. Good luck,

how hard was it to swap them out ? or what would the cost be to have a shop do it ?

You can do it. Remove the center nut then the brakes and hub assembly and upper ball joint and tie rod..push the cv in and then out. It should pop out.

i think it would take a 5 hours and a case of beer...but im not even going to try and take the upper ball joint out, just going to unbolt the control arm

Don't mess with the control arm bolts, those are the alignment.

STOP!

Check your Front Driveshaft, when it wears out the rear joint it makes those EXACT symptoms.

Mine did it and I replaced the cv shafts, thinking that was it, to no avail.

Maybe I can save you some money, Bro. Mine is an AWD, so to doesnt have the CV Joint, it is a Birdfield joint. Hope this helps you!

PS: do the Ball joint, not he control arm, he is right!

FYI :D

well i thought taking the control arms off would be easyer then the balljoint becasue its harder then the lower balljoint..

well i'll take it to my teacher to see if the cv joints are shot...i checked all the ujoint and everthing seems ok..its coming from the steering i know that.

Cool, Good luck and let us know what you find! :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well i just brouth it to my techer, and he took it for a loops, and i was watching.

every turn he made left a black mark, so i jack it up and put a bar under the tire and the tire mover up and down also i check the tire rod and they were ok..

so i found out i need new lower balljoints and a alligment..i hope thats it, damn now that i think of it, im lucky i brought it to him or i would have bought new cv shafts for nothing

Back