Cage it or body swap it? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cage it or body swap it?

Cage it or body swap it?

• Cage my current set up and keep it in the garage.

Votes: 9 42.9%
  • Body swap/swap my stuff to a new body and be normal again.

Votes: 12 57.1%

• Total voters
Well i just had a nice response typed, and the idiot i am closes the window before hitting submit.

But in a nut shell i said that i would definantly put in a windshield and a soft top to beat the sun, plus i still have AC :D Where could i get something like that made?

Ealier i was leaning toward a swap, but now i'm back to the cage. Sheez, but this is kind of fun!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

boat canvas places will make you a top but be prepared to spend spend spend :)

i would swap a body then do a exterior cage. that way your safe and so is the body work. that way you can stay warm and stuff in the truck but still be safe. best of both worlds i guess.

I vote for new body and cage it. If you want your rig to sit between offroad runs leave it as is. If you want to drive it, get a new body. Even in AZ there are too many days when it's not fun to drive without doors because of it being either too hot or too cold.

I wish it were easier to put the stock doors back on single handed, I would leave them on until I had a run and then pop them off and put the tube doors on for wheeling. I've swapped the doors back and forth several times and finally just gave up and left the tube doors on.

Yeah those doors are a bit heavy. But not heavy enough to make some money for me at the scrap yard :p

I wish i had the money to swap and cage, but when reality kicks in, it's either one or the other.

Plus i only drove it about once every two weeks just to make sure she still ran.

well if its one or the other....i'd say swap a new body..that way your not getting rained on/muddy...or whatever when you trying to enjoy a wheelin trip. plus a radio and heat/ac would be nice for those trips also.

At least put a new body on it. That way you can keep it legal and come up and wheel in the GWNF with me. :) Not sure how far you are from the Va/Wva border along Rt. 33. but come on down.
Nick Good

I've been to GWNF. It was one of my first trips with the ECX. It's nice down there, but doesn't have what i like to wheel when i take along trip down there.

I'm going in the morning to the off road shop to talk with the boys then we'll see what's next.

I know the body swap out voted the cage, but money/time/work out weighted the poll. I took it to the shop today to have the work on the cage. The guy that will be building is awesome with some tube works, i've seen them first hand. He's a cool guy who likes creativity, so this thing is going to be nice.

Tomorrow he's going to start but before he starts the cage, he's going to dove tail the rear. I think he's also going to ditch the b pillar that's left and make his own. It's going to be sweet. I'll post pics when i get them.

dove tail, i dont think ive ever seen a explorer dove tailed, cant wait to see it

Josh you need to build the cage and after it is all said and done you can still swap out the body. You need to build the cage with releases so you could go wheelin' with the cage and then go to town with clean sheet metal. That will suit both yours and you wifes desires.

Back