Calling all MY2021 MY2022 Explorer ST, Platinum, King Ranch and Aviators: rear subframe poll | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Calling all MY2021 MY2022 Explorer ST, Platinum, King Ranch and Aviators: rear subframe poll

Which rear subframe do you have?

• Total voters
Did you see the comment at the bottom where the guy says they installed the wrong subframe?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No I had not. Not sure how much his comment means.

obviously from an assembly cost point, Ford could be saving a lot here IF this is the way it should be now... but if it is found that it is not... the RECALL/TSB process will cost a ton MORE than the designed assembly from the start.

Getting some info those bolts mount the transmission to subframe and the difference is in the transmission....I will continue to inquire.

Getting some info those bolts mount the transmission to subframe and the difference is in the transmission....I will continue to inquire.
They mount the rear of the differential to the diff mount(s) in the rear subframe. The front of the differential has two more bolts and differential mounts that are vertically oriented.

Here's a pic of the front two mounts (view under vehicle looking directly up):

IMG_0307 copy.jpg

Here is a pic of a failed one bolt with the differential dropping down.
960b76cd21fa1a313cb8e83b63ab01f8.jpg

They mount the rear of the differential to the diff mount(s) in the rear subframe. The front of the differential has two more bolts and differential mounts that are vertically oriented.

Here's a pic of the front two mounts (view under vehicle looking directly up):

View attachment 424285

Here is a pic of a failed one bolt with the differential dropping down.
View attachment 424284
I would be more concerned about that crappy casting on the left side of dif cover.

I would be more concerned about that crappy casting on the left side of dif cover.
I think what you are referring to is the area around where the diff mount bolt sheared off and damaged the housing.

I think it would've been a bigger outcry if the Aviators would've came with 1 bolt subframe considering it's a luxury brand.

They would probably have been better off giving the Aviators a 1 bolt subframe since ST owners bought the ST because it was a performance model and tend to push them. I see more geriatrics driving Aviators, than STs around here...

...........I see more geriatrics driving Aviators, than STs around here...
Perhaps in your area, Rick, but sales figures of the age group buying them don't support that.

Peter

Perhaps in your area, Rick, but sales figures of the age group buying them don't support that.

Peter

The closest community to our South is Sun City West which is a 55+ retirement community. ;)

broken_bolt.jpg

Perhaps this isn't a problem. It's a feature designed to make changing the rear diff fluid much easier.

:banghead:

I would be more concerned about that crappy casting on the left side of dif cover
As mentioned, there’s no casting issue, just failed engineering choices.

If it’s a feature I’d expect it to spit out that PTU out the bottom as well.

The closest community to our South is Sun City West which is a 55+ retirement community. ;)
Yeah the wife and I are in our 30s...we have our second Aviator. Which ironically has a better suspension set up for spirited driving than the ST since it has a SLA.. ha

Disappointing! Looks like they decided to put the two bolt only on Aviators, despite the reduced tow rating. Sounds like Aviators are getting the rear deflector but no one else.

Well, this poll is for 3.0L EcoBoost Explorers. The 2.3L powertrains are supposed to get the one bolt subframe.
What about the 3.3L

Which ironically has a better suspension set up for spirited driving than the ST since it has a SLA.
So does the 2020+ explorer. Both the EX and aviators are built on the CD6 platform. Both vehicles share the same suspension design, they may specify different spring rates and/or shock/strut valving, depending on model and trim

So does the 2020+ explorer. Both the EX and aviators are built on the CD6 platform. Both vehicles share the same suspension design, they may specify different spring rates and/or shock/strut valving, depending on model and trim
Not quite. The Explorer as a Strut setup where Aviator has an SLA. This is likely due to SLA also the tire to stay in full contact with the road even as the suspension changes height w8th the Adaptive Air Ride.
I think it is a TFL Car article where the Lincoln Engineer explains they have the same platform but the Aviator has a completely different suspension setup including mounting locations.

Screenshot_20211210-184606_Edge.jpg Screenshot_20211210-184515_Edge.jpg

I have a August built 2021 and I have the 3 bolt design.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I meant to post to this when it first came up. Got busy but didn't forget. That and to much rain to lay down and look.
Door sticker dated 08/21, King ranch model with single bolt. So if I don't break it in the 3 years its under lease it will definitely go back.
I hate to say it but Ford made the call to substitute these parts when they probably had a shortage. It was mentioned that if so many break outta so many ford still comes out ahead. besides how many will get totaled or babied.
I'm curious to the op and others that have broken them as to how hard do you drive. I always say I drive it like I stole it. At least with my sports cars.

Back