Calling all MY2021 MY2022 Explorer ST, Platinum, King Ranch and Aviators: rear subframe poll | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Calling all MY2021 MY2022 Explorer ST, Platinum, King Ranch and Aviators: rear subframe poll

Which rear subframe do you have?

• Total voters
I meant to post to this when it first came up. Got busy but didn't forget. That and to much rain to lay down and look.
Door sticker dated 08/21, King ranch model with single bolt. So if I don't break it in the 3 years its under lease it will definitely go back.
I hate to say it but Ford made the call to substitute these parts when they probably had a shortage. It was mentioned that if so many break outta so many ford still comes out ahead. besides how many will get totaled or babied.
I'm curious to the op and others that have broken them as to how hard do you drive. I always say I drive it like I stole it. At least with my sports cars.

Given the condition of some of America's PAVED roads I don't think driving style would be the determining factor.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Given the condition of some of America's PAVED roads I don't think driving style would be the determining factor.
Not sure if road condition will have a lot to due with this part breaking. It's in a suspended position. The torque of the driveline would be what I thought was causing the break. If the control arms or uprights were breaking then I could see road conditions causing that.

Disappointing! Looks like they decided to put the two bolt only on Aviators, despite the reduced tow rating. Sounds like Aviators are getting the rear deflector but no one else.

Well, this poll is for 3.0L EcoBoost Explorers. The 2.3L powertrains are supposed to get the one bolt subframe.
I HAVE A 22 EXPLORER ST BUILT IN 12/21. IT ONLY HAS 1 BOLT! SO DISAPPOINTED!

Disappointing! Looks like they decided to put the two bolt only on Aviators, despite the reduced tow rating. Sounds like Aviators are getting the rear deflector but no one else.

Well, this poll is for 3.0L EcoBoost Explorers. The 2.3L powertrains are supposed to get the one bolt subframe.
Not true my 2020 Limited came with the rear deflector.

Not true my 2020 Limited came with the rear deflector.
I was talking about changes to the MY 2021 and newer. MY2020 explorers have sporadically included the deflector.

Our new Explorer showed up this past week and It is an ST and it has one bolt...

2021 Platinum here - 1 bolt.

I read on the ST forum that some members are seeing a recall for a Rear Axle Bolt Fracture.
No other information is available at this time.
My '21 Platinum V6 has no recall notice listed on the Ford website.
Here's information a member posted on their website.
1650407220359.png

I read on the ST forum that some members are seeing a recall for a Rear Axle Bolt Fracture.
No other information is available at this time.
My '21 Platinum V6 has no recall notice listed on the Ford website.
Here's information a member posted on their website.
View attachment 428741

I don't think it is a good sign that they are calling it "bolt fracture" instead of the real reason:. built with the wrong subframe

Reading further on the ExplorerST forum it appears many vehicles are affected.
Here's the information posted there. I wholeheartedly recommend you read it thoroughly.
I for one will be using the parking brake from now on.

Attachments

• Safety_Recall_22S27.pdf
    133.3 KB · Views: 184

A problem has come up with MY2021 STs and quite possibly all the 3.0L Ecoboost variants where Ford has chosen to substitute the 2.3L rear subframe (ie. One Bolt) for the 3.0L rear subframe (Two Bolt) that is supposed to be there. Please respond with what you have. I believe the change was made in early 2021 (~feb/2021). The problem is the One Bolt is proving to be insufficient for the 3.0L drivetrains and that bolt is snapping. In the comments section, list your build date, what subframe you have and what model. Only MY2021 MY2022 3.0L Ecoboost models please. The one vs two bolts can be seen when looking directly underneath from the rear of your vehicle. It is right behind the rear differential.

2.3L rear subframe:
View attachment 423801 View attachment 423799

3.0L rear subframe:

View attachment 423800 View attachment 423802

The damage from a sheered off differential mount bolt on the "One Bolt" is not insignificant. It may include but not be limited to driveshaft, rear differential, rear drive axles (one or both). So far there's one report of the Dealer keeping the existing subframe after repairs but in another report, the subframe was also replaced with the correct "Two Bolt".
I have a '21 Platinum with the one-bolt differential. As of April 21, 2022 my Ford App does NOT show a recall. Oddly, my car was serviced on the 19th for a bad APIM (sic) because navi was really crazy. I wonder if they did the download on ours that day and now doesn't show as a recall??

I have a '21 Platinum with the one-bolt differential. As of April 21, 2022 my Ford App does NOT show a recall. Oddly, my car was serviced on the 19th for a bad APIM (sic) because navi was really crazy. I wonder if they did the download on ours that day and now doesn't show as a recall??
I would wait. There are thousands affected and it might take some time for them to filter who is affected and send out the Ford Pass notices. I read about the backup camera recall well before I got a notification in Ford Pass. Alternatively, try the NHTSA website and enter your VIN.

Seems ridiculous that the "fix" for improperly designed fastener / load handling structure is new software. I'm guessing the "fixed" vehicles will have now have less torque. My ST doesn't appear to be in the date range shown, and had the "proper" two bolt subframe.

I would wait. There are thousands affected and it might take some time for them to filter who is affected and send out the Ford Pass notices. I read about the backup camera recall well before I got a notification in Ford Pass. Alternatively, try the NHTSA website and enter your VIN.
At least for me with a 22 ST-Line, the VIN shows no recall.

From what I can tell, only the hybrid and the 3.0L powertrains have gotten recall notices. Has anyone with a 2.3L engine gotten a recall notice? Those were designed with only one rear differential mount in back and not sure if any of those have failed with the 2.3L powertrain.

AWR Racing Rear Diff Mount 2020+ Explorer ST *FREE SHIPPING*
View attachment 428809
I ordered this kit for my own piece of mind and the safety of my family and grandchildren.
I received word from whoosh motorsports that the units are in production and will ship May 10th.

From what I can tell, only the hybrid and the 3.0L powertrains have gotten recall notices. Has anyone with a 2.3L engine gotten a recall notice? Those were designed with only one rear differential mount in back and not sure if any of those have failed with the 2.3L powertrain.
Thanks for that info. The only thing I've seen is the Ford Advance Notice of Recall 22S27 that was posted. Checking my VIN on Ford and NHTSA show nothing. But that's not surprising until Ford sends out specific guidance to dealers. The notice says end of 2d qtr in June and then it's only a software tweak to the PCM.

I suppose if there have been no reported issues then things might be ok. But just the thought of one little bolt back there is concerning. And I see that part from Whoosh Sports but to spend money on something that Ford messed up is so irritating to say the least. But thanks for the response!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are plenty of cars of different makes with one off-center rear differential mount. At least for the 2.3L, I'm not sure that's the issue. Certainly the shearing of the bolt in the cases that have been posted is alarming. Everything is speculation at this point but for those with the single bolt, I would hope they would go with a hardened bolt that is stronger. If they do, I would certainly try to obtain the hardened bolt and install it on my two-bolt setup, even though I'm not on the recall list.

Back