Calling all MY2021 MY2022 Explorer ST, Platinum, King Ranch and Aviators: rear subframe poll | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Calling all MY2021 MY2022 Explorer ST, Platinum, King Ranch and Aviators: rear subframe poll

Which rear subframe do you have?

• Total voters
From what I can tell, only the hybrid and the 3.0L powertrains have gotten recall notices. Has anyone with a 2.3L engine gotten a recall notice? Those were designed with only one rear differential mount in back and not sure if any of those have failed with the 2.3L powertrain.
I have a 2020 Explorer limited with a 2.3 L and both Ford pass and oasis show my vehicle is involved in the recall.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

A problem has come up with MY2021 STs and quite possibly all the 3.0L Ecoboost variants where Ford has chosen to substitute the 2.3L rear subframe (ie. One Bolt) for the 3.0L rear subframe (Two Bolt) that is supposed to be there. Please respond with what you have. I believe the change was made in early 2021 (~feb/2021). The problem is the One Bolt is proving to be insufficient for the 3.0L drivetrains and that bolt is snapping. In the comments section, list your build date, what subframe you have and what model. Only MY2021 MY2022 3.0L Ecoboost models please. The one vs two bolts can be seen when looking directly underneath from the rear of your vehicle. It is right behind the rear differential.

2.3L rear subframe:
View attachment 423801 View attachment 423799

3.0L rear subframe:

View attachment 423800 View attachment 423802

The damage from a sheered off differential mount bolt on the "One Bolt" is not insignificant. It may include but not be limited to driveshaft, rear differential, rear drive axles (one or both). So far there's one report of the Dealer keeping the existing subframe after repairs but in another report, the subframe was also replaced with the correct "Two Bolt".
I've got a `22 ST and only one bolt. I wonder if that's the noise I keep hearing.,

2021 ST, manufactured 9/21
D8313DCF-545F-47E9-B2D4-76E41943F433.jpeg

Can you show/tell how you installed it? The company says it can be installed without jacking up the vehicle.

Can you show/tell how you installed it? The company says it can be installed without jacking up the vehicle.
Here is the video of Whoosh installing one. You can see he is laying on his back doing it.

My 2.3L Limited was recalled. So far, only the computer band-aid has been applied. The dealer said they expect the parts about Q3.

My 2.3L Limited was recalled. So far, only the computer band-aid has been applied. The dealer said they expect the parts about Q3.

Would they confirm that the computer "fix" reduces torque?

I didn't ask, but I'd bet it does.

Would they confirm that the computer "fix" reduces torque?
Pretty sure the fix for now is to automatically engage parking brake. Could be wrong but that was one of the things I ran across reading into this. Should of saved the site but forgot too. Part of the recall is said that the car will roll away in park. Unless this is a separate issue that I would think everyone would be getting a recall for not a select few.

Pretty sure the fix for now is to automatically engage parking brake. Could be wrong but that was one of the things I ran across reading into this. Should of saved the site but forgot too. Part of the recall is said that the car will roll away in park. Unless this is a separate issue that I would think everyone would be getting a recall for not a select few.
Is this it? Electric Parking Brake automatically engages when shifted to park

Peter

A problem has come up with MY2021 STs and quite possibly all the 3.0L Ecoboost variants where Ford has chosen to substitute the 2.3L rear subframe (ie. One Bolt) for the 3.0L rear subframe (Two Bolt) that is supposed to be there. Please respond with what you have. I believe the change was made in early 2021 (~feb/2021). The problem is the One Bolt is proving to be insufficient for the 3.0L drivetrains and that bolt is snapping. In the comments section, list your build date, what subframe you have and what model. Only MY2021 MY2022 3.0L Ecoboost models please. The one vs two bolts can be seen when looking directly underneath from the rear of your vehicle. It is right behind the rear differential.

2.3L rear subframe:
View attachment 423801 View attachment 423799

3.0L rear subframe:

View attachment 423800 View attachment 423802

The damage from a sheered off differential mount bolt on the "One Bolt" is not insignificant. It may include but not be limited to driveshaft, rear differential, rear drive axles (one or both). So far there's one report of the Dealer keeping the existing subframe after repairs but in another report, the subframe was also replaced with the correct "Two Bolt".
I Have a MY 2021 Platinum built 8/2021 with the incorrect ONE Bolt design. I have yet to get a recall notice from Ford and have called Customer Care and I inquire each time I visit my dealer. I am sure to mention to everyone that they are opening the door for lawsuits.

I Have a MY 2021 Platinum built 8/2021 with the incorrect ONE Bolt design. I have yet to get a recall notice from Ford and have called Customer Care and I inquire each time I visit my dealer. I am sure to mention to everyone that they are opening the door for lawsuits.
Have you checked with your VIN on the NHTSA site? Recalls | NHTSA

Your not the only one my King Ranch doesn't pull up under it.

My 2021 Platinum built early September 2021 is not included in the recall. When I spoke with Ford directly they would only say my VIN was not included and therefore not affected. They would not and could not give me a specific reason. Because my Platinum is equipped with the 52T package for towing I requested inclusion in the program. They refused to include my VIN in the recall at my request.
Unfortunately my vehicle is not eligible for the extended warranty on the bolt fracture or the patch to automatically apply the parking brake.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you are not on the recall but think you should be, fill out an NHTSA safety report. It's more than just getting the auto-E-brake, there may be a hardware fix later and the warranty coverage on the bolt failing gets extended.

Back