Cam technology

mikes02ls1

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Casa Grande, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer XLT 5.0 AWD
So with cam technology being advance from my younger years. I know back in the early 00’s the B303 and E303 cams were nice in the Mustang 5.0 world. Having a 97 Explorer 5.0 seeing if there is anything better. I know I need to do custom exhaust since there is nothing these days for exhaust. Second have to get headers, and do some nice trick flow 205cc heads. Sucker needs a little more pep and noise. Just a daily while I swap my LSA engine into my LS3 Camaro.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Fords alphabet cams were outdated by the end of the fox bodies IMO.

Comp cams has been my go to for years.

Fords alphabet cams were outdated by the end of the fox bodies IMO.

Comp cams has been my go to for years.
Can’t go wrong with a comp cam. Just not a 5.0 guy so knowing the biggest cam I can go with and use a 3k stall is key

205cc heads or larger are great for above 3k rpm. A lunati cam would sound sweet with a borla muffler.

Can’t go wrong with a comp cam. Just not a 5.0 guy so knowing the biggest cam I can go with and use a 3k stall is key

Time to read up on cam specs. They will tell you what converter works with each cam.

Time to read up on cam specs. They will tell you what converter works with each cam.
I know. The cam in my old 02 Z28 was a TSP MS3 cam. 236/242 .600.608 113 LSA… It was a cam only F-Body 420 to the tire and ran a 11.86@120 back in 05. Been out of the game since, been in the parenting game since 07 and just getting back into it.

We run comp cams here they make a nice cam for the gt40 engine basically built for the Early bronco dudes gives us the torque down low we are looking for
Comp cam, new springs and retainers, can keep stock stamped rockers. Run some headers and mod the factory exhaust. Intake plenum spacer and you will see some improvements over the factory setup for sure…a real t case (awd delete) gears and a shift improver Kit is enough for
Most daily driven 5.0s to be happy

"Old cam grinds", how about a Duntov 30-30 with the lash tightened up?
Hot lash w/ the engine running! You just haven't lived long enough....:popcorn:

"Old cam grinds", how about a Duntov 30-30 with the lash tightened up?
Hot lash w/ the engine running! You just haven't lived long enough....:popcorn:
Never adjust valves while running but seen it done by friends. Early Hondas had hot engine valve adjustment but the engine was turned off. I’m 43 so I may be a decade or two younger than you, but my life is all about being a gearhead. Drives my wife crazy, she doesn’t understand before her was my cars and ain’t going to change.

A dying breed…

Ditto the thought on Comp Cams
Comp has a few cams that play nicely with Ford's EECV engine management system. Please remember torque is key to moving these 2 ton plus beasts. A high revving cam will not get it moving without a higher stall torque converter.

The stock V8 TC is a fairly high stall for a heavy production truck. It jumps off the line very quickly with the stock 302, I see mine shift at 4500rpm or more all day(near 5 hours) at work.

The stock 302 is a decent mild OEM combination, the heads/intake/cam all are better than old typical stock parts. But they are all still not performance level parts, their rpm band is from idle to about 5k. Unfortunately prices have sky rocketed recently, decent aftermarket new heads used to be $1000 or a little more. Now those milder heads are closer to $1700 or more, the next level stuff went from $1400ish to now $2600 or more.

So upgrading any SBF has changed a ton, what before you could do a lot with $1500, now plan to double that, or more.

The stock exhaust is horrendous, not simply bad, but extremely bad. Changing that is a big deal cost wise, but get ready for it. The cam you might best plan to R&R the entire engine to get at it and the water pump, timing cover bolts etc. The stock cam isn't terrible, the 302 HO cam is a little better(and cheap choices), all other new cams will be high and plan for new valve springs. Rebuilding the heads should be the least to do with a new cam, but new heads you want if the budget allows.

Back