Auto Start-Stop Technology | Page 17 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Auto Start-Stop Technology

I mean the new starter, that is built to withstand re-starting at every stop sign! Didn't those just come out in the last few years? About the ABS, it is the removal of driver input there - sometimes, you want to stop the wheels. Not having it (actually working) in the Taurus caused me zero problems. ABS can cause longer stopping distance.
I understand what you’re saying. They didn’t model the new starter to fit on a legacy motor. It’s also not needed. You’ll replace a starter on a 4.0 or 5.0 once in its lifetime, maybe.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I understand what you’re saying. They didn’t model the new starter to fit on a legacy motor. It’s also not needed. You’ll replace a starter on a 4.0 or 5.0 once in its lifetime, maybe.
That's good news. Probably the original at 175K.

That's good news. Probably the original at 175K.
Virtually nothing from these models will be interchangeable, they might as well be from 2 different manufacturers.

My 2021 Explorer Platinum has been to the dealership twice for several days each time but so far there's no resolution to the problem. I want the auto stop/start to function but unless I've driven a high number of miles it simply will not function. The service manager has spoken with Ford, replaced my battery, checked wiring harnesses, etc., to no avail. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Sounds similar to the way it works on my 2020 ST. If I do a lot a short drives it stop working until I get out and put some miles. It's worse in colder weather. What do you consider high miles to get it to work? I've never really kept track. I do know that there certain requirements for to function. The main one being state of charge for the battery. Engine temperature is also one more.

My 2021 Explorer Platinum has been to the dealership twice for several days each time but so far there's no resolution to the problem. I want the auto stop/start to function but unless I've driven a high number of miles it simply will not function. The service manager has spoken with Ford, replaced my battery, checked wiring harnesses, etc., to no avail. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Welcome to the Forum Mike. :wave:
Whether or not the A.S.S. function comes ON depends on several factors and there may not actually be anything wrong with yours. After about 5+ months of not activating, mine has begun to work again. That said, it doesn't do it all the time. Seeing as how it seems to save a minimal amount of fuel anyway, it isn't something I'm concerned about.

Peter

I understand that auto start/stop is disabled if battery voltage is low.
For what it's worth I found it necessary to manually charge the battery on my Platinum when it was brand new with a brand new battery. I used a high quality charger. In my case the vehicle was going into deep-sleep mode every day. Manually charging it for 48 hours solved that issue. It only enters deep-sleep now if we don't drive it for a few days. It appears to me the multitudinous relays and sensors and gadgets on the vehicle put a significant load on the battery even when it's off and parked in the garage. Have you ever heard all the noises it makes when you open the door to retrieve something from the vehicle?

I understand that auto start/stop is disabled if battery voltage is low.
For what it's worth I found it necessary to manually charge the battery on my Platinum when it was brand new with a brand new battery. I used a high quality charger. In my case the vehicle was going into deep-sleep mode every day. Manually charging it for 48 hours solved that issue. It only enters deep-sleep now if we don't drive it for a few days. It appears to me the multitudinous relays and sensors and gadgets on the vehicle put a significant load on the battery even when it's off and parked in the garage. Have you ever heard all the noises it makes when you open the door to retrieve something from the vehicle?
dont own anything with auto start/stop, but my presumption would be it has something to do with voltage, and also the temp of the engine maybe being at operating? cold starts take a bit longer than warm starts at least on mine, so maybe it could have somethin to do with that?

dont own anything with auto start/stop, but my presumption would be it has something to do with voltage, and also the temp of the engine maybe being at operating? cold starts take a bit longer than warm starts at least on mine, so maybe it could have somethin to do with that?
The Owner's Manual lists 19 conditions that can affect the Auto Stop-Start function, including your elevation. :)

Peter

As Peter indicated, there are many conditions that affect Auto-Start-Stop, for my vehicle the information is on pages 180 and 181.
I found it very useful to read. In fact I always learn something new when I take time to read the manual.
One detail not in my manual. The 20th condition that affects Auto-Start-Stop.
The AutoStopEliminator.
I installed the second day I had my Explorer and I absolutely love it.
2020-2022 Ford Explorer Autostop Eliminator

.....please excuse my attempt at a bit of humor regarding auto-start-stop

If this hasn't been mentioned, you can configure one of the dash displays to show the Auto Stop-Start feature status. Use the menu buttons on the steering wheel. Mine always shows "Disabled Due to Vehicle Charging". It has been in this state for over 6 months, even after using a quality battery tender. I suspect that as the battery ages it stops registering the necessary charge for this function to work. Vehicle and battery are about 18 months old.

I installed the A.S.S. Eliminator a couple of years ago and it has worked great up until yesterday when it started returning to the on position after restart. Curiously this just began after just getting my car back from being serviced at the local Ford dealer?? I will investigate tomorrow and order a new "eliminator" if needed. Anyone here ever had one to go bad?

Doesn't it plug into the diagnostic port? I would check if it is still there and properly plugged in. Possible that the technician removed it to download codes, upload software, etc.

Doesn't it plug into the diagnostic port? I would check if it is still there and properly plugged in. Possible that the technician removed it to download codes, upload software, etc.

No, it goes inline with a cable under the dash.

Dealerships will reflash the computers practically every time they get a hold of our cars these days, whether or not it has something to do with the issue the vehicle was brought in for. I'm thinking a reflash may have damaged the eliminator. :dunno:

No, it goes inline with a cable under the dash.

Dealerships will reflash the computers practically every time they get a hold of our cars these days, whether or not it has something to do with the issue the vehicle was brought in for. I'm thinking a reflash may have damaged the eliminator. :dunno:
Yep, the guy from Autostartstop Eliminator informed me that the latest flash disables the device. He told me I would just need to unplug it for a couple of minutes and it would reset and start working properly again. I'm going to try that later today.

I read a post (can't find it now) about the feature turning the engine OFF at a stoplight and then it turned it back ON after a minute or so without removing the pressure on the brake or touching the steering wheel. There was concern that the A.S.S. feature wasn't working correctly. I had a chance to check this out today after arriving home from a short drive. With the A/C running, I stopped the vehicle in my driveway and the engine turned OFF. Keeping my foot on the brake, the engine restarted about 50 seconds later. I'm guessing that during the 50 second timeframe, one of the conditions (battery charge?) was no longer being met for the feature to work.

Peter

I read a post (can't find it now) about the feature turning the engine OFF at a stoplight and then it turned it back ON after a minute or so without removing the pressure on the brake or touching the steering wheel. There was concern that the A.S.S. feature wasn't working correctly. I had a chance to check this out today after arriving home from a short drive. With the A/C running, I stopped the vehicle in my driveway and the engine turned OFF. Keeping my foot on the brake, the engine restarted about 50 seconds later. I'm guessing that during the 50 second timeframe, one of the conditions (battery charge?) was no longer being met for the feature to work.

Peter

The AC running is likely a big reason the engine would restart, without the AC compressor running, the air gets warm quickly.

Peter
If you have the AC on it will restart the motor to maintain the set interior temperature also.

"... made a noticeable difference on mpg." Only in your mind, man. Consider yourself lucky. I wish I could permanently banish that A.S.S. bullsh!t from mine. Any minuscule fuel saving would be seriously offset by more-frequent starter and battery replacements.
I've had two F 150 trucks that had the auto/start stop feature and never had an issue with the batteries or starters going out. Frankly, that is a myth unless you have actual numbers to show what percentage of starters and batteries are worn out by the feature. And yes, my mind must be a calculator since that is the only method I use for tracking mpg.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back