• Register Today It's free!

Cam with stock 5.0

corson

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Limited 5.0L
I want to upgrade my cam but mostly keep the motor stock, save valve springs as needed I guess. I'm reading a lot of conflicting info about what works best on a stock motor with a stock computer, so I'm wondering if anyone has tried the ford E303 or the comp 31-238-3 in a stock setup and gotten good results. Also I do have headers on the way before y'all ask

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You will need to change the factory springs

I had e303 cam in my 96 explorer with stock springs it worked ok, however the geometry was never correct and the valvetrain was very noisy. I attempted to shim the pedestals several times to no avail. I tried roller tip
Rockers and went back to stock stamped, still noisy. Years later I would learn the stock aprings basically are barely adequate for the stock cam

No "Alphabet" cams as you want more exhaust duration, even with headers on these. Alphabet cams were designed for higher revving and lighter Mustangs.

I like the milder Comp cams specifically for computer controlled engines. I say milder as in not wanting to get a higher stall torque converter to get it off the line....................I like the 35-510-8.

Im looking at the specs and it seems the e303 has more exhaust duration than the 35-510-8

Whatever, Enjoy! You asked and I gave an opinion E303 has more intake and exhaust duration, IMHO more than you need with very little other power adders.

I’d upgrade the manifolds before digging into the cam, especially with the tube manifolds. Cam only won’t really give much benefit.

Back