Can’t find leak p0442 and now P1450 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can’t find leak p0442 and now P1450

Mitchs07explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Meridian, Idaho
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT V8 AWD
07 XLT V6
for the last couple of years now I consistently get a cel that comes and goes. Was more common tobturn the cel on and stay on when my daily commute was a 6 mile round trip. I now have a 30 mile daily round trip and my cel was staying off for quite some time until a week ago. I pulled the code and got a p1450 instead of my usual p0442. I researched the code p1450 and it comes up as excessive vacuum in fuel tank bleeding up. When I research this the most common part replaced is the evap purge under the hood. I replaced that part months ago (I realize it can be another issue but one hopes it would be the most common) I also bought a paint can smoke machine and cannot detect a leak anywhere. Does anyone have any ideas before I take it to Ford? I’ve been trying to avoid the shop but I’m out of ideas, I’ll hook my rinky dink pain can smoker up to my car one more time but I guess it’s going to the shop after that. It drives me but because it drives fine. Idle has felt a little rough in the last year but again I can’t fond any leaks! Anybody has any suggestions I’m all ears. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 2006 Explorer EB 4.0l with same issues, I replaced gas cap OEM and the EVAP vent
solenoid, located up over rear axle passenger side. Fixed. Vapor Canister Vent Solenoid from rockauto.

Thanks I’ll change out the vapor canister vent solenoid, I changed the gas cap a while ago so I’m good there. That would make sense why I never saw any smoke if it’s all the way in the back where the issue is. Hopefully that do the trick :)

Good luck, I don't remember if it was driver side or passenger side. let me know what happens.
I also got new wire harness for it but did not need it.

Funny enough my fuel pump ended up dying a few weeks back. It happened right in the beginning of my work week so I couldn’t do it myself :( $1000 repair. So far since driving in the last few weeks I haven’t had the check engine light pop on. I had the shop that changed the fuel pump test the rear vent solenoid and they said it tested as good. Wondering if the fuel pump caused the p1450 code for some reason and and am also scratching my head about the p0442 that disappeared too after popping up so frequently. What’s weird about the 442 code is that when it popped on 3 years ago for the first time, I couldn’t figure out where there was a leak. I changed my fuel filter because it was due and afterwards the 442 code popped off until just earlier this year. What’s also ironic is that I had rough idle issues earlier this year too but thought it might correlate with what I assumed to be the vacuum leak, it always smoothed out after 15 - 20 seconds after it was first started. Anyway, thought I’d share that bit of info.

I know this is way old but I wanted to update that the vent canister solenoid and a new gas cap fixed both codes.

Back