Can I buy a 6" Suspension lift for an Explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can I buy a 6" Suspension lift for an Explorer?

dany77

Reaction score
City, State
North Vancouver
Hi all,
just recently I had my 1995 Ford Ranger 4x4 written off and am now concidering buying an Explorer. I had a 6" BDS Suspension lift in my truck and want to get the same size lift in an Explorer. Is this possible?
I know that for the Rangers you can only buy a 6" suspension lift kit for years 1987 - 1997. Does this apply to Explorers in those years as well ?? I don't know what the rear end suspension of an Explorer looks like compared to the Ranger. Is it just a leaf spring? :rolleyes:

So really what I want to know is... can I lift an Explorer up 6" with just a suspension lift (don't want a body lift!!) ?? I really like the years 95-97 so that's kind of what I'm after.

Please let me know if you can help me out here. I want to start checking out some of these Explorers that are for sale in my local area but want to make sure I can lift it up before I go check them out.

Thanks in advance!!
:thumbsup:

95-2001 4x4 explorer uses a IFS torsion sprung control arm suspension

the tallest drop bracket lift I know of is 4" (superlift, RCD, others) Most drop bracket lifts retain the torsion bars, so you can then do a small torsion twist and get another 1-12" out of this lift.

The RCD kit does away with the torsion bars and replaces them with coilovers

Most 95-2001 explorer's you will find here have a combination suspension lift and body lift, few have the Superlift drop bracket kit, and many are putting solid axles under there trucks.

Dixon brothers makes a true 5" suspension lift for your truck, its a real long travel setup that is still IFS but no more torsion bars, it uses custom CV axles and costs upwards of $3000

Your old Ranger had a TTB up front, much easier to get 6" of suspension out of, the explorer was TTB up until 1994

Back