Can I put GT40P heads on a GT40 engine? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can I put GT40P heads on a GT40 engine?

oharris

Reaction score
City, State
Peyton, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 & '98 XLT V8, '00 XLS
I have an early '97 mountaineer which should have GT40 heads. Can I put GT40P heads on it without modification? Would it net me any gains?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No.
You'll need gt40 p exhaust manifolds and a 98-up egr throttle body elbow, plus you'll need the later PCM which has PATS to deal with. You'll also need a dpfe sensor, hoses and egr tube. Internal egr PCM will not work with external egr PCM, eliminating egr will not only be illegal, but will require special tuning, which is also hard to come by. You are opening a can of worms if you attempt this IMO

I have manifolds off a '99 that I intend to swap at the same time. (That actually begs a second question, If I don't do this swap, will they fit the GT40 heads?)

The EGR is not really a big concern. It's currently throwing a code for insufficient EGR flow (which I assume means the EGR valve isn't opening) and it runs fine. I don't have to do smog checks, so I'm not sure I see any downsides.

I know the combustion chambers are smaller on the P heads, so compression should increase a bit. I would think it would give me some extra power and possibly fuel economy. The P heads flow better too don't they?

The manifolds interchange just fine , nothing to gain really , late 97 is p-head external egr and non pats , that's how mine and my brothers are , but they have different tranny wiring

The '99 manifolds are much better than the '97 manifolds, They don't choke down nearly as much, plus they aren't broken.

I've been through the tranny differences between early and late '97. Finally got that sorted out.

Back