Can not rotate engine

hinton69

Reaction score
City, State
Spring, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer 5.0 AWD
Hi all,

Just ran into a problem. I have a '98 XLT 5.0 AWD, transmission went so I pulled it and had it rebuilt, also got a new torque converter. Got it all bolted up and went to rotate the engine to install the torque converter nuts, but I can't get the thing to move. I'm afraid I'm going to snap the balancer bolt, it already tightened up some. Any ideas? I can't think of anything I would have done to cause this. I'm thinking about putting the starter in and bumping it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you pull the plugs?

Didn't pull the plugs, but I didn't have any problem rotating it when I removed the transmission.

Well, do not try to use the starter if you cannot rotate it by hand! Sounds as if two things could be wrong. First,it could be hydrostatic lock. Were you loosing any coolant before you pulled the trans? Second, did you remove the flexplate? If you are down on coolant, pull the plugs. If you removed the flexplate, be sure there is not a bolt against the back of the block. I repeat, do not use the starter!

When you align the transmission to the engine properly there should be a definite 'click' when it engages. If you did not feel that, it may have ended askew. Efforts to torque the bolts in this situation may result in damage. You should probably disengage it and try again. If you don't have a manual describing the procedure, you can probably search here for the details.

Hi all,
Just ran into a problem. I have a '98 XLT 5.0 AWD, transmission went so I pulled it and had it rebuilt, also got a new torque converter. Got it all bolted up and went to rotate the engine to install the torque converter nuts, but I can't get the thing to move. I'm afraid I'm going to snap the balancer bolt, it already tightened up some. Any ideas? I can't think of anything I would have done to cause this. I'm thinking about putting the starter in and bumping it.

I went throught the same issue. Pulled a plug to lose compression and it still persisted. Just used a stick on the TC balancer and you gotta PUSH!

I had this problem once (it was on a Mitsubishi 2.4 though) wrong length bolt binding the flywheel to the case...don't force anything! It should turn with relative ease.

Bill

You didn't seat the torque converter all the way into the trans.

Yank the damn transmission back out, remove converter, check it's back hub for damage evidence. Then look at where that hub enters the oil seal on the front pump hub. Seal may be damaged, replace it. If lucky, you did not damage the pump, since tightening the bell housing bolts to the engine squeezed the converter real tight against the flexplate, which is fairly thin, and the converter studs may may bent it enough, and the pump may be OK. If the flexplate looks distorted in any way, replace it. If the pump appears OK, it's your time to gamble: put everything back together (properly this time!), engine should turn freely by hand. Put in 5 or so quarts fluid, start up, watch for leakage from damaged front pump casting. If no leak, put in the rest of the fluid. If it's leaking, you gambled and lost. The alternative to the gamble is remove pump and replace parts as necessary.

When you seat that converter support it's weight carefully with both hands, turning and sliding inwards until you feel it seat in the pump. The flats on the converter hub must engage within the pump. That's where you went wrong the first time. When seated properly, the furthermost surface of the front of the converter should be about 1-inch BACK from the flat mating surface of the bellhousing.

Working the trans up and in, sometimes the jiggling around can cause the converter to slip forwards out of engagement in the pump! Look for that when you get the damn thing up and just a few inches back from the engine. Good luck! imp

Ha, thanks imp, that's what I'm doing. Pulled the trans back out, got the tq converter seated properly, just need to install the transfer case and drive shafts and see what happens.

Just to follow up, put everything together, works good so far. No leaks, shifts good. Only took it around the neighborhood tonight, will get a good test drive tomorrow.

Just to follow up, put everything together, works good so far. No leaks, shifts good. Only took it around the neighborhood tonight, will get a good test drive tomorrow.

:thumbsup:

Good for you! For once, something I myself experienced, a mistake, and worked it out, came to a good end! Your "gamble" won! Drive that damn thing out to the big "sin city", win some real money! Luck like yours should not be wasted!

Regards, imp

Back