Can you install factory fog lamps on explorer without exsisting fog lamps | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can you install factory fog lamps on explorer without exsisting fog lamps

I was curious if I could install factory fog lights on my non factory explorer sport. My bumber has the holes for them and I replaced my bezel so I would have the fog light switch and the wiring was there to hook for the switch. So it possible to just install the oem replacement fog lights and hook them up some how?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I too am curious

I was curious if I could install factory fog lights on my non factory explorer sport. My bumber has the holes for them and I replaced my bezel so I would have the fog light switch and the wiring was there to hook for the switch. So it possible to just install the oem replacement fog lights and hook them up some how?

While shade-tree wrenching lately, I noticed there are 2-wire connectors behind my bumper, one on either side, just sitting there. I'm guessing that those might be plugs for optional OEM Fogs, just like my tow harness in the rear. I was able to find a Ford OEM trailer light harness at a flea market, BNIB, that just plugged right into the corresponding plug behind the back bumper. I'll have to dig behind my dash and see if there is a lose connector just waiting for a fog light switch. The only thing, I have a plastic valance attached to the front bumper that has no cut outs for fogs. I have a '94 Eddie, your '99 Sport might be different.

Anyone know if Ford prewired all chassis for optional add-ons and let dealers install extras?

If Ford prewired any year veh. they didnt pre wire all of it. Perhaps a harness part here or there but not complete. Besides, you get a much better fog light using aftermarket fogs with a seperate relay/harness.
Look at Hella, PIAA, KC ect. that come with a harness & relay. Your going to put the same amount of work into any fog light application so you might as well get the most benefits out of the finished product.
We here can help with the install and wiring as it has all been done before. But there are so many choices in lights that you must do the research yourself to determin what you want.

x2 on what Bill said, its possible but youd have to run so many wires, and for stock fogs, that wouldnt be worth it at all. Go aftermarket, theyre pretty damn cheap anymore too

yes you can run factory fogs, if they didn't come from factory. or at least on my 98 sport i was able to. the plug for the switch was there. i had to get the radio bezel with the switch, and wire harness that goes from under the rad cradle to the lights. i used a hid kit instead of factory lights, and different lights for the fogs (i modified the stock steal bumper to accept aftermarket fog lights).

Vroom- Is there a big difference running HIDs in them? Im debating on HIDs, or just some better aftermarket fogs all together down there...

yes you can run factory fogs, if they didn't come from factory. or at least on my 98 sport i was able to. the plug for the switch was there. i had to get the radio bezel with the switch, and wire harness that goes from under the rad cradle to the lights. i used a hid kit instead of factory lights, and different lights for the fogs (i modified the stock steal bumper to accept aftermarket fog lights).

i've got the bezel already where did u get the wire harness? thats would help alot.

you can go to the junk yard, and pull them off any explorer that has them from factory. they just unclip. or if your in a real bind, i think i have a few sets laying around in my shed.

if you would be willing to let one go, how much do you want for one? If you got a an extra one. Where I live I've found one junk yard with explorers and they were pretty much stripped already. Thanks for the help.

hey does anyone know a web site or someone here that can help me find the bezel to fit fog lights on my 02 explorer XLT i would really appreciate it?!
unfortunatly my truck came without out fogs so it has the plastic pieces without the cut out for them.

hey does anyone know a web site or someone here that can help me find the bezel to fit fog lights on my 02 explorer XLT i would really appreciate it?!
unfortunatly my truck came without out fogs so it has the plastic pieces without the cut out for them.

Go to your local junk yard and you will probably be able to have your choice. Lots of Xs out there.

I was thinking the same thing and thats where i have gotten all my parts for awhile when I had the 98 but there wasn't any of the third gens in the lot unfortunatley, any other options i.e. web sites?

I added factory fogs to my 99 Sport too...

i've got the bezel already where did u get the wire harness? thats would help alot.

But I did two things at the same time; one, I made the lights come on when I wanted them to come on and, second, I used the factory switch and added a relay and made a harness for the lights.

Here is what I did...Using the factory switch, I attached to the factory wires to switch the relay on and off and power the switch light at the same time...Then from the relay I ran the switched +12v to a harness made to power both fog lights... I also ran a ground from each fog light to the mounting bolts...

Since I wasn't using the factory wires past the switch, all I did was to connect a ground through one side of the switch wires and the other side to one terminal of the coil of the relay...The other relay coil terminal is attached to a switched power lead...That way I control the fog lights however I want them and when I turn off the key the lights will turn off too...

Back