• Register Today It's free!

Can you lube an A/C clutch?

skiphall

Reaction score
City, State
Suffolk, Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Sport, 4.0 SOHC
My A/C compressor clutch chatters, even when the heater/ A/C control is off. My engine is so quiet otherwise, I'd like it to stop? Has anyone ever used any silicone, graphite, or teflon to lubricate any part of the clutch to stop the constant "chick,chick,chick" sound? I know the clutch must lock solidly to operate the compressor, but aren't those magnetic, not friction?

New member here. Hope I posted this right. If not, please excuse and bear with me while I learn.

Skip Hall :banghead:
Suffolk, Va.

There are sealed bearings within the clutch itself. Do not lubricate the clutch plates. If what you object to is the "click" that is simply the sound of the clutch being energized and pulling in. If it is happening constantly, you may have a low charge. In cold weather, the Explorer will energize the AC on defrost setting... as the weather is cold, the pressure of the refrigerant is low (refrigerant has a direct temp/pressure relationship), and the damn thing cliks in and out more or less constantly. One solution is to just unplug the clutch (the plug is located on top) and plug it back in the spring. Some will tell you that the thing needs to be energized to continually lubricate the seals... how accurate that is I am not convinced, if you are worried, plug it back in now and then for a day or so.

Thanks Glacier.
I got under the hood and looked a little harder tonight, using a little stethoscope gizzy I made with a metal rod where the bell/diaphram ought to be. The chirp was coming from the tensioner pulley after all, not the compressor clutch. Isn't wierd how the sounds get transmitted around the engine compartment and sound like they are coming from everywhere but where they really are?
Anyway, the bearing in the pulley is pretty well shot, so I'll be off in search of one tomorrow.
Does Advance, Autozone, or NAPA carry it, or is it a dealer item? Anyone know?

Thanks again Glacier.

Aftermarket should carry it....

Back