Can you swap '01 Explorer rear disc brakes to a Sport Trac? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can you swap '01 Explorer rear disc brakes to a Sport Trac?

Those of you that have changed your pads think about it. I have changed my front 3 or 4 times for the one time I had to change the rear. Ford's explorer is brutal on front breaks but barely uses the rear since all the weight transfers to the front. with a light rear end you won't see much of a difference between drum and disk, other than the disc will lock up easier. Now if you trailer alot then you might see the benifit, but for a daily driver I don't see going through the effort.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am checking my pads this weekend, I will measure the front rotor size. The ST eats brakes just like its brother the Explorer.

I got back some replies back on the disc brake size ?'s And I remember roughly the same;
Is the size disc's on a pre-'02 Explorer an 12" disc?
I did not want to quote a size diff. I thought till other's could research, but it looks like the ST has a 13" front disc, while Explorer's (pre-02) have a 12". I would have said it is an inch larger.
I know my truck is a fat heffer, though :eek: It weighs about 4470 lbs I believe... so maybe it is to offset weight and/or payload. Hope this helps a little. If someone gets a definitive answer that is defferent please correct me.
PS; yeah, I know quality pad cut down on dust, but they all have some amount of dust.... guess I need kevlar/ceramics.
EDIT; as a cursory measurement(without taking the wheel off... I aligned my wheels for a view, and measured); it looks like mine measure 12".... what is the Explorer size?

4470?

Man ooh man mine weighs in at 4500 with out me and any gear like my folding chair. tow rope...

Could anyone with a 95+ list what the diameter measurement is of their front discs? So I can actually learn the bottom line on the size of the brakes being different.
Thanks. :) :chug:

i will yank my fronts off and get the measurement. it wont be until thursday, though, due to work scedule...

Thanks, if I think about it, I may just call the Ford parts department (duh!?) I don't know why that didn't occur to me earlier... :)

I'll look around my basement for my spares later and se what I can find. Hopefully I find the ones to the xplorer and not the cutlass:D

Originally posted by taxxman2k
with a light rear end you won't see much of a difference between drum and disk

This is a load of crap. The difference between rear drum brakes and disc brakes is HUGE. An Explorer with rear disc brakes will stop much faster and easier than one with drum brakes, every time.

As far as swapping to disc brakes you can buy the M-2300-G kit from Ford Motorsports and all you will need is the hoses and cables. From what I remember you could buy it from Randy's Ring and Pinion for around $350.

Originally posted by Paul Gagnon

This is a load of crap. The difference between rear drum brakes and disc brakes is HUGE. An Explorer with rear disc brakes will stop much faster and easier than one with drum brakes, every time.

As far as swapping to disc brakes you can buy the M-2300-G kit from Ford Motorsports and all you will need is the hoses and cables. From what I remember you could buy it from Randy's Ring and Pinion for around $350.

I still stand by that from the rangers and other Pick Ups I have had with rear drum. I don't think it is worth the money and effort. The rear brakes on an explorer don't do much anyway (espescially in a factory setup). I have changed my front 4 times for the 1 time I have had to do the rear pads.

Adrenaleen - Looks like we are going to have to educate some folks on the best multi-purpose vehicle on the market - the ST, or Sport Trac. :D

All my2001-2002 STs 2wd or 4wd come with 4-wheel anti-lock brakes, discs up front drums in the rear. Only the my2003 ST has rear discs. My ST has 46k miles, 31k with 285/60R tires on 17" wheels, and I'm still on factory pads.

The standard payload limit is 1200 lbs with an upgrade option of 1500 lbs.

Rear end gearing was initially either 3.73 or 4.10, with or without limited slip. After 7/24/00 only the 4.10 gear was available.

Long Live the ST!

Ron, How many ST's do you have?!!!:eek: :confused: :eek: Thanks for all the posted data, but do you know about any of the questions at hand? The ST did come with 3.73's after 7/00.... I bought mine on July 3, 2001, and most of the ones I found on dealer lots were 3.73 geared, and were 'born' in early to mid '01.

Ditch the drums.

Discs are more effecient and not only that what would you rather change, drum shoes, spring kit, adjust everything, etc...or slap some new pads on every two years?

When you convert from drums to discs you need to change out the master cylinder from a rear disc equipped truck. It;s just that easy.

I have mine set for approx 70/30, with teh rear discs doing 30% of the stopping. I use my BII to tow a boat and even with the boat she stops straight and true, faster then most cars. I can stop my BII on a dime, it has 93 front discs and 97 rear discs, all new calipers, and carbon metallic pads, no cheap pads here. I also lube the slide pins every 3-4 months.

Something you guys with older vehicles are forgetting is dealing with the ABS. How do you deal with this?

Adrenaleen - You might think about trying to find a wrecked '03 ST from which to pull parts from. Then all parts will be matched to work together.

OH the ABS, get rid of it, remove it, whatever.

If you want to keep it, it can be done. Your 2003 ST has rear discs and ABS right? there you go...use the parts from a 2003 with discs, besides I bet you anything the stator ring in the rear axle, the proportioning valve for the ABS, and all the wiring are identical. The only difference is the amount of pressure the drums get compared to the discs, this is controlled by the master cylinder, so swap it out for one from a disc brake equipped truck.

Personally my 88 BII had the early RABS setup on it, and when it kicked in it was more scary then without it. I hated it from day one, so I removed it, completley from my truck. She stops straight and true, I dont have a problem locking up the wheels, but I can if I have too....

Originally posted by Ron Brezina
Something you guys with older vehicles are forgetting is dealing with the ABS. How do you deal with this?

What do you mean how do you deal with it? You aren't touching the ABS when you convert to rear disc brakes so it isn't an issue.

Thats right, teh ABS works the same for drums or discs, it;s the pressure sent to the drums that differs fromthe discs and that is controlled by the master cyl, so you can retain the ABS.

Of course if youy are building a trail vehicle or for off road then you dont want ABS, or at least I dont. Also airbags should be turned off or disabled as well.....its the little things thatcount :)

The ABS senser is in the diff right? it should not matter at all. Itws bolted to the ring in my diff on a 98 X.

The stator ring for the ABS is in the rear 8.8 axle, the ABS control solenoid is mounted on the brake lines just under the master cylinder, so that is correct, it will still pulse and it doesnt matter if they are discs or drums.
The front ABS is independant system with it;s own sensors on each wheel and is not effected by the rear disc brake conversion.

So yes you dont have to touch the ABS system when you put discs in back......

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Of course if youy are building a trail vehicle or for off road then you dont want ABS, or at least I dont. Also airbags should be turned off or disabled as well.....its the little things thatcount :)

Roflmao!!! ...will have to look into adding an airbag switch! Also will have to reexamine my vans speedo/odo issues, because I thought that toothy ring &sensor was the speedometer input. Doh!

I realize this thread is wicked old, but... I'm looking to upgrade a rear drum sport trac to disc to help with big tires as well as payload, so i'm looking for info about donor vehicles that might have bigger rear brakes than what I'd find on an 03-05 ST.

Back