Can you upgrade a steering wheel? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Can you upgrade a steering wheel?

Greg101

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Ford Explorer Sport
I have a 2015 Explorer Sport. I would like to know are you able to put a 2016 steering wheel on a 2015? or you would have to make your own kit type thing?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

14-19 steering wheels are interchangeable...if you are trying to add a heated steering wheel, you will also have to add the module which controls the heating element.

I have a 2015 Explorer Sport. I would like to know are you able to put a 2016 steering wheel on a 2015? or you would have to make your own kit type thing?
Just curious as to what you are trying to accomplish by changing the steering wheel? Thanks.

Peter

Hi all, am I able to swap my 2015 explorer steering wheel with a 2018 steering wheel? I honestly think the 2018 steering wheel looks better.

Welcome to the Forum Alex. :wave:
Your thread was merged with this existing one.
This may be of interest as well; Can you add a heated steering wheel?
Which trim Explorer is the 2018?

Peter

You can swap the wheels sometimes, based on the features of the wheel and the clock spring behind it. If the wiring number matches for the clock springs, then it can be very easy to do. Cars and trucks use different shaft splines, but if the trim pieces match well, then it's generally possible within any model generation.

You can swap the wheels sometimes, based on the features of the wheel and the clock spring behind it. If the wiring number matches for the clock springs, then it can be very easy to do. Cars and trucks use different shaft splines, but if the trim pieces match well, then it's generally possible within any model generation.
How will I know if the clock springs and wiring number match?

How will I know if the clock springs and wiring number match?
The number of buttons/features on the wheel, and the heat function would all have to have individual wires for each. Basically each wheel needs the matching clock spring, which is what has the wires from the wheel to the vehicle, all wound up inside of it. The clock spring has a wiring connector on both sides of it, the vehicle side, and the outer side to the wheel.

If the clock spring matched exactly, then it would be plug and play. If not, then you have to have the clock spring along with the wheel, and the features that aren't in your vehicle, may not be possible. But if you want a wheel with less features or buttons, then it's fairly easy even if the clock spring needs to be swapped or altered(a number of individual wires).

This may be possible but keep in mind that you might need to change the Steering Control Module for all of the buttons to work since there are significant changes in architecture from 2015 to 2016-2019 models.

I looked and it looks like the buttons are the same? All I want to know is if they are interchangeable

I looked and it looks like the buttons are the same? All I want to know is if they are interchangeable
I don't believe anyone has actually done it so that is likely why there is a lack of replies.

Peter

The number of buttons/features on the wheel, and the heat function would all have to have individual wires for each. Basically each wheel needs the matching clock spring, which is what has the wires from the wheel to the vehicle, all wound up inside of it. The clock spring has a wiring connector on both sides of it, the vehicle side, and the outer side to the wheel.

If the clock spring matched exactly, then it would be plug and play. If not, then you have to have the clock spring along with the wheel, and the features that aren't in your vehicle, may not be possible. But if you want a wheel with less features or buttons, then it's fairly easy even if the clock spring needs to be swapped or altered(a number of individual wires).
Not really accurate. Each feature does not have it's own individual wire. The system uses CANbus, where multiple features can be used over one wire sending a different frequency...this is why matching the CANbus signals is important. They MAY match, but unless you connect an oscilloscope, you won't know for certain.

Not really accurate. Each feature does not have it's own individual wire. The system uses CANbus, where multiple features can be used over one wire sending a different frequency...this is why matching the CANbus signals is important. They MAY match, but unless you connect an oscilloscope, you won't know for certain.
So would swapping them work out for me, they have paddles on the back, would the paddles work?

So would swapping them work out for me, they have paddles on the back, would the paddles work?

Not really sure, tbh. I've never tried this mod specifically. I just know that the CANbus network can be a tricky thing to work around. I'd say, if the cost wasn't too high, go for it. There's a good chance it will work, I'm simply pointing out one possible scenario.

Hey did you end up swapping out your steering wheel? My 2014 XLT leather is starting to flake off.... Id like to swap it out for a 2017+ with same buttons (minus the added paddles which IDGAF about because it's not a supercar).

thanks dude

Hey did you end up swapping out your steering wheel? My 2014 XLT leather is starting to flake off.... Id like to swap it out for a 2017+ with same buttons (minus the added paddles which IDGAF about because it's not a supercar).

thanks dude
Welcome to the Forum Dave. :wave:

Peter

Facelifted explorer steering wheel on 2012 explorer​

Hello everybody, hope everyone is having a good day. So my explorer steering wheel buttons are not really working to a 100% they sometimes are sticky or not registering at all. i was thinking in just taking it apart and do an exhaustive cleaning but the wheel from the facelifted explorer just look way better in my opinion. so my question is. can it be done? if so, someone here has done it? and what do i have to do to make it work?. i've already compared photos from both wheels wire harness (just how they look) and they pretty much are the same but i don't know if electrically the new one will work in the older connector. thanks to everyone and hope you have a good one.

just as clarification... i want this wheel
2018_ford_explorer_steeringwheel.jpg

in the place of this one
2012_ford_explorer_steeringwheel.jpg

^^ Your thread was merged with this existing one found using the 'Search' feature.
Not that it really matters but which year Explorer do you have? Your post mentioned a 2011 but your profile shows a 2012.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

^^ Your thread was merged with this existing one found using the 'Search' feature.
Not that it really matters but which year Explorer do you have? Your post mentioned a 2011 but your profile shows a 2012.

Peter
hey peter, is a 2012 explorer and for some dumb reason i keep remembering it as a 2011. thanks for merging the threads, i was looking and searching and never showed up this thread on the search.

Back