• Register Today It's free!

Carpet Removal and Replacement

Thunderthumbs

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT V-8
I was trying to help my sick outdoor cat by having a vet appt to save it from being put to sleep. In the process of bring it home, it sprayed or should I say "pee-d" inside my lovely 1999 four door Explorer XLT V-8. Apparently no good deed goes unpunished. I can't stand the smell- either the smell will go away or the car will go away. I feel that strongly about this. And so does my nose. I am trying to keep a sense of humor but seriously I feel like drop kicking the cat like the punter would do a football. So tempted. So close. But I'm a nice guy so...

Anyway, I will try to clean the carpet with baking soda, and other cleaners I have on hand. I have heard nothing works. Who knows what will work? This is not the pet cleaner message board, so my question pertains to removal and replacement of the carpet, but if you have cat "pee" removal success then do tell!!!

I need to get a good estimate on replacement cost of both the carpet and padding, which I have requested from my local Ford dealer. I hope to hear from them soon. What do you folks pay? Is removal and replacing of new carpet and underlying pad a difficult thing to do? I assume someone out there has removed and replaced a carpet. Anything seriously difficult about this? It looks like the rear seat removal is a cinch, but the front ones with electronics might be problematic as well as trim and center console issues.

Please help. My Explorer, my wife, and my nose will be forever in your gratitude.

Regards,
Brad
sometimeseptember@hotmail.com

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you can do it in 4-6 hours for $150 yourself

i've done it, see what they come back and say and if yoiu want help doing it yourself let me know

I have a 1st gen, and It's a piece of cake. just take off the front two seats (The electronics are connected by wiring harnesses which just unclip) and then u just take out the center console and rear seat. theres nothing to it. i can take mine out in less than 1/2 hour. the carpet doesnt go all the way up to the dash - u just take out the seats and console and u can pull it up in the front.all the ducting for the HVAC is under the carpet so it doesnt get in the way.

Reminds me of the seinfeld episode :)

Oh cat pee is just the worst !!!!!!!!!!

Where in Virginia are you ?
I can be another set of hands if need may be.
I work in collision repair and I have removed a zillion interiors.

Okay not a zillion but a lot.

Thanks for all the comments and suggestions so far. Anyone else is still welcome to chime in, of course. I'm going to see what the dealer quotes on price. Yesterday I saw replacement carpet for $198 somewhere on line when I "google-ed" "Ford Explorer Carpet" and found a site that could be a good option or at least a place to compare costs. Monmix, I live in Northern Virginia near Dulles Airport. If this project goes far enough, I'm tempeted to try and see what I can do on the replacement/removal front, bearing all your suggestions in mind- but I might get stuck at some point and I'll be in touch for further suggestions. Thank you for your offer and I may take you up on it.

Currently, I have a blacklight which highlights the affected areas and am working some baking soda into the carpet to absorb odors. We'll see if that's a long term fix. Additionally, I may pull up the carpet around the rear seats to see if there's any soak through to the underlying insulation pad. If there is damage there, I cannot imagine I would not have to replace it all. And at some point, time is money and I cannot afford to spend hours upon hours trying this and that only delaying an ultimate, final replacement. Still, I'm willing to try some "first step" kinds of remedies in hopes it can save me a few hundred dollars I'd rather not not spend unless I have to. I harbor no real illusions though, that we're somehow not dealing with one of the most tenacious smells on the planet.

Brad

Cool man. NoVa is cool. I have a friend in Sterling so I know where I am going. I would easily be willing to come down and help if you wish.
You'll find me here.

u could also try jcwhitney.com i know they carry premolded carpets

i removed my seats in the front, its easy... like 5 bolts....

Back