• Register Today It's free!

Carputer

Track3r

Reaction score
City, State
Bowling Green, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLT
I currently have a Double Din touch screen in my explorer and was thinking about changing that out to a 10 or 12" Computer monitor and mounting a mac mini under the seat or in the center console.

My question is has anyone ever attempted putting a monitor of that size in the dash of an explorer?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have to pull my double din and sell it before I will have the funds to buy the monitor tho :p

it is possible. i got a 97 xlt and was thinking the same thing but the regular size for the stereo is 8" diagonaly. You can do 10 or 12 but will probably require moving the buttons and what not. Seems easy tho. You can just mount the buttons in the center console by extending the wires and well making the center console custom with fiberglass and what not to make it look oem or whatever.

Thats what I was thinking about doing... Or if I wanted to get real fancy create some code to interface with a usb switch and run the buttons off of the computer :p

I guess my first step is going to be getting a 2nd bezel and going at it with the dremmel :p

MP3 Car

I like to go to this website to get ideas myself. Hopefully it will answer some of your questions.

Ok I have changed my plans due to the money involved... I am now going to hack apart my 7 inch eeepc and attach a touch screen and mount all of it inside my dash with a external usb slot load dvd drive and run centrafuse front end

Working on the programs and such today and hopefully going to order the touch screen addon for the eeepc very soon

that would be badass! x] Please post pics while doing it or when finished :)

Ordered something to put in to the truck and hope get started with installing new equipment in the next couple days... gonna empty the truck out clean it up and run a new amp wire [upgrade from 4 gauge to 0 gauge wire] and get it all happy. will post pictures as it is being completed :)

koo where you getting your 0 gauge wire from?

I got it from a friend who sold his system... got it the fuse and a radio for $25 :p

He got it from a local car audio shop

Any updates?

Ok I have once again changed plans but the result will still be the same. I have bought a Asus EEEPC T91 Touch Screen Tablet PC [9 inch]

It will be mounted in the center console by a mount I have yet to design and a standard radio will be in the standard spot as a controller. Its not nearly as custom but its the best I can do right now due to money. :p

I have a 4 day weekend starting the 3rd and hope that I will get to work on my entire setup over that weekend and get it all taken care of.

Will post pics and such as it is getting done [may work on the truck a little today]

Been following this post. Excited about the pics!.....................:popcorn:

I did that

I built a 10" screen into the radio bezel a while back. Fits well and the radio can be relocated to the slot below if you move the temp. knobs. Got my screen cheap from WalMart. Took a while to make, but it looks nice and I can plug any AV accessory into it from my center consol.

View My Video

mwbb04.jpg

This is what sits below: GPS, Scanner & CB
10rq1rm.jpg

WOW!Thats sweeeet!!! How much was the screen???

I got one of those kits for the kids in the back seat. It came with wireless headphones and there is actually a built-in DVD player attached the rear of the screen. Paid $100 like 3 years ago at WalMart. Its cool and all, but I dont use it much since my netbook is more practical than my aspirations for a carputer. The Xbox is too bulky to leave in there for long, though it fits under the rear seat for trips. I have used it most for watching movies while camping/hunting.

One quick note for anyone that wants to do something like this: The AC/heat knobs are a PITA to relocate since they use small tubes, not just wires. Also, you lose your main central air ducts which makes climate contol a pain.

Nice job. It looks great in there. Will there be any pics of the completed project?

ok so here is where i am stuck...

I have a tablet pc [The eeepc t91] running all the software needed with the hookups ready and working. Now I am stuck at mounting it..

Anyone think they can assist me with ideas or drawings on possible mounts to mount it in the center console while still allowing me to remove the laptop for use outside of the truck

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back