changing gears front and rear gears on a 2003 exp. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

changing gears front and rear gears on a 2003 exp.

tl1000r

Reaction score
City, State
michigan, hillsdale
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 xlt 4x4 4.0 sohc
HI guys i just was wondering if anyone has changed the gears on the newer explorers my wifes has the 2003 4.6 v8 and has 3.55 gears but we plan on getting a good size boat for next year and i see that in the owners manual says that if it has 3.73 gears it can tow up to 7,000 lbs so i have changed gears before on my ranger when it had a 8.8 and and solid axle dana 44 so i have no problem doing the job. my only question is the front end, is that a dana 35 style still?? and i know the rear is a 8.8 and would it be easier to just find axle housings with the right ratio and just bolt them in??? :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I hope that someone has already changed their gear sets, because I am also interested in changing the gearing in my 03 4.0 XLT. I have the stock 3.55 gears for now.

Could someone please clarify the model of the front axles that come on the 3d gen Explorers? Is it also a Ford 8.8 on the front or is it some kind of Dana axle?

Thanks,

John

It would probibly be easier to grab factory pumpkins at a Junkyard

yep, I'd grab the pumpkins from a junkyard, and throw em in, probably be less trouble and might even be cheaper.

I’ll third the question.
Factory pumpkins are not a bad idea. Problem is I cant’ find any Junkyard ’02-’05, anywhere most are still running, and if you do anything of value is gone. I was looking for a RR Qtr section and nothing.

Presently I tow a 1k boat without any problems but I’m I too am thinking of getting a 3-4k travel trailer,

So, to ReGear – besides the gears/pinon what else would need to be done?
Re-Calibrate (flash) the control module? How long did it take? Cost?

Also what is the axel in front?
Jim

re- Found the previous post a couple down - Dana 35 (27 spline) reversed in the front, ford 8.8 31 spline rear
Thanks! Any ideas on the other quesitons

The downside to the AWD 4.6L V8's is that the 3.55 is also an open diff :(

I too would be interested in dropping in some 3.73 LSD units front & back into the wife's 02' Mounty V8 AWD. I think Ford's choice of both the 3.55 ratio and the open diff is for fuel economy. I figure an LSD 3.73 wouldn't sacrafice much in way of MPG ... maybe 1MPG worse?

my explorer is rated for 14 city, 18 highway...and that's pretty much accurate. If I keep the speeds below 70mph, I can get just over 20mpg, but who drives that slow.
Mine has the tow package 3.73's and 4x4/V8. Open differentials because mine has the Advance trac traction control.

Btw, my dad drives a '00 cougar 2.5 V6 with a 5 speed manual. Not the quickest thing in the world, but he loves it. Good luck with the turbo 3, that'd be sweet

4:10's would probably pick the performance up pretty good, too bad that it's twice as much work as it is with my mustang...

jrford said:
So, to ReGear – besides the gears/pinon what else would need to be done?
Re-Calibrate (flash) the control module? How long did it take? Cost?

Drop the 02+ Explorer 3.73 LSD in (or other diff choice) and then recal your speedo to compensate for a 3.73 rear gear ratio. You can recal your speedo with an Xcal2 flash device which tunes your vehicles computer. You can also pick up some more power with it too if you want.

Question, my 03 4WD 4.6 has the 3.73 Limited rear axle.

My understanding the front is open because it also steers, so a limited Diff would fight turning??

I find she can take off nicely in Second from a dead stop, and can also pull off in third well in 3RD!!!!

So it seems the 4.6 could handle a much smaller gear.

By the way:

Did some number crunching:
A 3.73 runs at 2400 RPMs at 75 MPH
A 3.50 runs at 2260 RPMs at 75 MPH
A 3.27 runs at 2110 RPMs at 75 MPH

My double Overdrive can run:
A 3.73 runs at 1660 RPMs at 75 MPH
A 3.50 runs at 1560 RPMs at 75 MPH
A 3.27 runs at 1460 RPMs at 75 MPH

A change from a 3.73 to a 3.50 in a stock truck gains only 140RPMs and only 290 RPMs gain going all the way to a 3.27.

With my Double Overdrive the 3.73 is great as I can cruse at 1660RPMs at 75MPH and a gain of 100RPMs is not worth all the cost and pain by switching to a 3.50 and a 3.27 and only drops 200RPMs, which is too small and most likely will hurt MPG.

Rich

Question, my 03 4WD 4.6 has the 3.73 Limited rear axle.

My understanding the front is open because it also steers, so a limited Diff would fight turning??

I find she can take off nicely in Second from a dead stop, and can also pull off in third well in 3RD!!!!

So it seems the 4.6 could handle a much smaller gear.

By the way:

Did some number crunching:
A 3.73 runs at 2400 RPMs at 75 MPH
A 3.50 runs at 2260 RPMs at 75 MPH
A 3.27 runs at 2110 RPMs at 75 MPH

My double Overdrive can run:
A 3.73 runs at 1660 RPMs at 75 MPH
A 3.50 runs at 1560 RPMs at 75 MPH
A 3.27 runs at 1460 RPMs at 75 MPH

A change from a 3.73 to a 3.50 in a stock truck gains only 140RPMs and only 290 RPMs gain going all the way to a 3.27.

With my Double Overdrive the 3.73 is great as I can cruse at 1660RPMs at 75MPH and a gain of 100RPMs is not worth all the cost and pain by switching to a 3.50 and a 3.27 and only drops 200RPMs, which is too small and most likely will hurt MPG.

Rich
if you have the live axle front end, not the CAD (center axle disco), and/or manual hubs it will affect steering iirc... now iirc you can convert to manual hubs or the CAD (at least in 2nd gens, not sure about 3rds)

Back