Cheapest route to replace cracked windsheild? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cheapest route to replace cracked windsheild?

I got the new 95, well not new but yea you know what I mean lol, and its got a pretty cracked windshield, not like horrible I cant drive it like that, but its cracked in quite a few places, whats the cheapest way to replace that?

Im 16, so adding it to insurance or whatevers gonna be pretty costly still

Anyone ever gotten theres replaced? How much was it without insurance?

Thanks guys!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Look in the local yellow pages or look up some auto glass places online.

I've had both windshield crack repair and windshield replacement (with NEW, brand name PPG/Carlite glass) professionally installed at top notch places that ONLY do glass, and I was stunned at how inexpensive it was. A decent place installs it for free.

A high production vehicle like the Explorer which used the same windshield for a loooong time makes it even less expensive.

Of course the price will vary based on location, but being closer to Detroit may make it cheaper...?

Just be sure you have it done on a day when the weather is fantastic and when they are not busy and can take their sweet time. A rush job putting a windshield on usually results in a poor seal or a leak somewhere, and it's a pain to go back and have them remove it, clean the whole thing up, and try to reseal it.

You can also probably find "discount" auto glass places that will sell you a used windshield from a salvage yard and install it, but the price differene much not be that much less than new, and there's usually no lifetime warranty, either.

I'd say $100-150 for new glass, maybe half that for used, but the used places get you with install fees and probably charge for sealer and other materials, too.

Thanks man, I would have never thought of that, pretty much narrowed it down to one place to call tomorrow, all the others had HORRIBLE reviews, saying glass isnt OEM, one guy turned his defrosters on and the window shattered...LMAO...etc etc

Thanks for your help :p

You won't find OEM Ford SafeLite glass anywhere except the dealer...but they charge a bunch for it!

Any authorized dealer of PPG Glass (Pittsburgh Paint & Glass, the same people that make awesome paint) or Carlite Glass is usually reputable. Some places just deal with a major auto glass supplier and just install whatever brand they get, but it's still a big name brand with a warranty and everything.

Ehh, so like if I get a chip in it its gonna like shatter??

Whats the difference between OEM SafeLite, and the other glass...

How big is the crack? If its smaller than a dollar bill ie 6 inches or less it can be repaired.

Hmm, from top to bottom almost, and from like bottom drivers side to just about the other side, splitting about 7 or 8 times....LOL

I had the windshield on my 04 Ranger replaced last month. I went to a regional glass shop Binswinger. The total cost was $175.

Check around, you should be able to find a decent price.

What kind of insurance do you have? With most insurance companies I don't think it's that expensive to go through them. For instance with State Farm it's only a $50 deductible to replace a windshield and is separate from the regular repair deductible.

I paid around $165.12 cash last summer for a PPG windshield installed, but chose the wrong place to do business with...

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217640&highlight=ppg

I am waiting for my ex-Ford mechanic neighbor to get his wholesale glass account. he used to install glass at the dealer, so I'll give him some business. Before installation, I might talk to the district person for the glass place who installed the one mentioned above. Show him the gap. Show him a baseball bat hitting the windshield.

Windshields from the junkyard I usually goto are $32, you pull it.

Back when I was looking for a replacement for a 2003 Honda Civic EX Coupe, the cheapest was $149, but that was a Safelite brand windshield. I had one of those in the past. Way too easy to break. Looks elsewhere if you run across that brand.

Ehh, so like if I get a chip in it its gonna like shatter??

Whats the difference between OEM SafeLite, and the other glass...

Shatter? SafeLite is just the name of the manufacturer. By law, every single production auto windshield, regardless of brand, is made of safety glass that will not shatter.

The difference between the different windshields offered is mostly the tint/shading at the top, and the name printed on the corner. Most people won't ever notice if their windshield is PPG, Carlite, whatever.

I paid around $165.12 cash last summer for a PPG windshield installed, but chose the wrong place to do business with...

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=217640&highlight=ppg

I am waiting for my ex-Ford mechanic neighbor to get his wholesale glass account. he used to install glass at the dealer, so I'll give him some business. Before installation, I might talk to the district person for the glass place who installed the one mentioned above. Show him the gap. Show him a baseball bat hitting the windshield.

Windshields from the junkyard I usually goto are $32, you pull it.

Back when I was looking for a replacement for a 2003 Honda Civic EX Coupe, the cheapest was $149, but that was a Safelite brand windshield. I had one of those in the past. Way too easy to break. Looks elsewhere if you run across that brand.

Im getting confused, what brand should I get, where should I get it from?
Would it even be smart to do a pull it yourself? My uncle was like "Get a (idk I think he said like metal hanger, and unfold it) and stick it through where the seal is, and just pull it all the way around the windshield to break that seal, and then use a lot of black caulk or something, sounded kinda jimmy rigged for me, id rather just pay the like 175$ or so for a pro to do it, but I keep hearing BAD stuff about doing that.

Isnt SafeLite the brand Ford uses? I also got lost on your thread, at the end you said you were cleaning up shattered glass or something, so was this like a dont get PPG glass, or a reccomendation to get it?

Call me stupid, lol I just keep like hearing different stories.

[QUOTE[Shatter? SafeLite is just the name of the manufacturer. By law, every single production auto windshield, regardless of brand, is made of safety glass that will not shatter.

The difference between the different windshields offered is mostly the tint/shading at the top, and the name printed on the corner. Most people won't ever notice if their windshield is PPG, Carlite, whatever.[/quote]

I could care less about the shading at the top, I was kind of debating anyways on getting the top strip tinted when I get my windows done...

I just need a good windshield for a good price, something thats not gonna break when I hit a bump or turn my defrosters on lol, but if im paying close to 200$ It better be top notch and good labor lol

So what brands should I avoid then?

You won't get a car windshield off with a coat hanger. It takes some special tools to break that seal, and you need the right sealer to put a new one on.

I'm a DIY'er, but for as rare as it is that windshields need replacing, it's best to get it done right. It's not a one person job, and getting the right tools and supplies to do it on your own is WAY more trouble than it's worth when you can get it done professionally for so little.

PPG, Carlite, and Safelite are all good brands. There are a few others, too. Just find a major glass place that gives you a good price, free installation, and a warranty.

Yea trust me, I know whats good/safe todo on my own, a windshield is a deff. NO lol, ill pay the price to get it professionally done.

Coat hanger would be a very bad idea, I've used guitar string before and it worked great!
You need 3 people to install the windshield right, 2 people and a spotter to eye it for an even placement. Even autozone sells the windshield seal putty stuff. The trick is to scrap off all the old putty, it should pull out like a rubber seal though. Then you have to let it setup in sunlight to evenly melt the sealant under the new windshield.

Finally, you use a black silicon around the edges and replace the trim pieces. I've replaced more windshields than I care to count this way. The only ones I ever had problems with were the kind that ran the rearview mirror power between the windshield seal and the frame creating an uneven surface.... retarded 90 chevy lumina....

I have the auto mirror, so theres power wires coming down to it...

windshields are NEVER a DIY job unless you do windshields for a living.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Trust me, even if EVERYONE on the site said oh with 3 people its easy, I wouldnt do it.

I might of lifted mine out, but id NEVER attempt to put a new one back on.

Back