Check transmission oil level with motor running or not ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Check transmission oil level with motor running or not ?

dickd

Reaction score
City, State
Sunshine Coast Queensland
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT
Once the transmission is up to temperature do you check the oil stick level with the motor running or stopped ?
I get a low setting with the motor running and to high setting with the motor off ? so which is the correct measure and way to check the transmission oil level.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Running and up to temp

there should be a couple of lines, or a cross hatch pattern on the stick, some have holes in them,, and a top indicator line, do not fill above that point,

While the engine is up to temp, stop on a level surface and put the vehicle into park. Leave the engine running. Pop the hood. Exit the vehicle and open the hood. Remove the dipstick and wipe it clean with a rag. Insert it fully into the tube and remove it, noting the level of fluid as it corresponds to the marks on the dipstick. Add fluid as needed. Replace the dipstick, making sure it is fully seated in the tube. Close the hood and enter the vehicle. Proceed to run over BrianDye, having the peace of mind that your transmission fluid is at the proper level.

Thanks for the info, will do as mentioned except i will not run over Brian

Cheers

AND in park, on a level surface. Close, but still wrong Brian....

I think most people know not to have it in gear while working under the hood...:dunno:

while it is running,

engine running

there should be a couple of lines, or a cross hatch pattern on the stick, some have holes in them,, and a top indicator line, do not fill above that point,

You forgot to mention that these guys are all apearently wrong too...:rolleyes:

I think most people know not to have it in gear while working under the hood...:dunno:

You forgot to mention that these guys are all apearently wrong too...:rolleyes:

NO, they were correct with their answers, the OP asked if the car needed to be warmed up and then shut off before measuring the levels or kept running. He must have deleted the post after he saw the answers.

Well my apologies guys :) Hey its all good though, he got his answer:thumbsup:

Yeai forgot, wrong information is never posted on here. Sorry for trying to help. I was going by what the worker at the TRANSMISSION SHOP I went to was telling me. When I told him it was the V8 not V6 I specifically asked if there was a difference between AWD/4x4/2WD he said nope same trans, different transfer case. So uh common sense says this guy who works on transmissions all day probably knows what he's talking about. (Clearly not, and I know that now)

I'm done hijacking this thread.

Yeai forgot, wrong information is never posted on here. Sorry for trying to help. I was going by what the worker at the TRANSMISSION SHOP I went to was telling me. When I told him it was the V8 not V6 I specifically asked if there was a difference between AWD/4x4/2WD he said nope same trans, different transfer case. So uh common sense says this guy who works on transmissions all day probably knows what he's talking about. (Clearly not, and I know that now)

I'm done hijacking this thread.

He's a guy that see's lots of transmissions from lots of different vehicles. And to him the transmissions are essentially the same internally which is what matters to him. There is way more knowledge here on the forum than what some guy at a transmission shop knows. The exception maybe he specializes in that transmission only.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, yes and no. It depends on the vehicle. Since this is an Explorer forum, we will forget about the rest. In an Explorer, there is a major difference between the transmission of an AWD and a 4wd. The maind difference being that they are 2 totally different transmissions. AWDs are V8s only. Which means they have the 4r70w, where 4x4s, depending on the year, can have an a4ld in a 1st gen, or a 4r55e and 5r55e in a 2nd gen.

Back