• Register Today It's free!

chromo R/A's

SuperEx91

Reaction score
City, State
Toledo, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT EB
its been a long while since ive been on here. back working full time and going to school full time. lost all my free time. :( anyways....

my next class is hi-po welding. will be learning how to mig(have a little experience), tig, and stick weld steel, aluminum, and chromo. im really excited. i was askin around to find some DOM for my R/a's and i guess all the school carries is chromo. i know you are supposed to tig weld chromo, my question is-

Can i use chromo tube with my bushing sleeves and johnny joints(which are regular dom i believe)? should i expect any problems? will it hurt anything?

since i will now probably be using chromoly, what is the best size for my situation? i figure i can go down to .120 wall as opposed to .250. and use 2" O.D.

what are your thoughts? this is the last BIG step for my SAS. i still have flights of smaller ones tho.

Best thing to do is ask your teacher -- since you're taking welding classes, he/she would know best how to weld chromoly to mild steel.

I *believe* you should use a stainless wire, like a 309/316. It has a much higher nickel content than mild wire which I believe helps it mesh better with the high nickel in cromo.

I could be completely wrong though, but I just have a feeling like thats the best way to do it without buying wire made just for the application.

With that said, I bet you can just a weld thats is more than strong enough for you application using just about any stainless/steel wire.

Back