claims of 25 mpg with tune and exaust in an 04 AWD v8? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

claims of 25 mpg with tune and exaust in an 04 AWD v8?

jaxjag

Reaction score
City, State
Jax, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 Centen limited 4.6 4x4
I was looking at exaust setups an came upon a guy claiming to get up to 25mpg in an 04 AWD V8 explorer with an sct tuner and custom exaust. I have 33x10.5 tires and get a calculated average of 15, and if i stay at or under 2k rpms and stay off of the breaks i get 17.

Needles to say id love to get 20 + mpg and was wondering if this may be realistic?

With an 8mpg gain this could pay for its self. Let me know your exerience with similar setups.
Screenshot_2014-02-20-11-58-26_zpsb8499d08.png

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was looking at exaust setups an came upon a guy claiming to get up to 25mpg in an 04 AWD V8 explorer with an sct tuner and custom exaust. I have 33x10.5 tires and get a calculated average of 15, and if i stay at or under 2k rpms and stay off of the breaks i get 17.

Needles to say id love to get 20 + mpg and was wondering if this may be realistic?

With an 8mpg gain this could pay for its self. Let me know your exerience with similar setups.
Screenshot_2014-02-20-11-58-26_zpsb8499d08.png

He must be running stock tires and no lift. I don't think you're going to get that with just an exhaust and a tune with your setup.

If you have 3.55 gears now, swapping in a set of junkyard 3.73 diff (or diffs if you're 4wd) will help, or you can regear your existing diffs to 4.10.

Manage your expectations and you won't be disappointed. I think 20 MPG for your setup could be attainable but I think you'd have to sink some money into regearing to get there.

I already have 3.73s and it is 4wd. 4.10s have crossed my mind but... lol. What kind of mpgs would you guess a good tune and the right exaust could get me?

Most of his gains are probably from hypeemiling. Or bad math

Ronin8002 1-2 would be nice,but im not sure thatd be cost effective.

Fr0st m0nkey No ive got my 265x18 setup on right now. The 33x12.5x20s wont be on until the lift is on.

Colintrax Haha that may be true. Id love to see low 20s, but 25 seems a little high.

Ronin8002 1-2 would be nice,but im not sure thatd be cost effective.

True. Any mod that increases fuel economy has to really be inexpensive or free to be truly cost effective.

That said, the exhaust and tuner aren't bad ideas for other reasons. If you happen to get some fuel economy benefits, that's just icing on the cake.

You won't be seeing anything like that unless you keep it under 60mph and have a nice tailwind...

I have a tune/CAI/exhaust and avg 16.5mpg on my trip to work (70 mile round trip). About two tanks ago I got 17.4mpg.

You won't be seeing anything like that unless you keep it under 60mph and have a nice tailwind...

I have a tune/CAI/exhaust and avg 16.5mpg on my trip to work (70 mile round trip). About two tanks ago I got 17.4mpg.

What were you getting prior to? What gears does your ex have?

What were you getting prior to? What gears does your ex have?

I can't really say if I saw an increase in MPG because my mods were already done prior to my current commute. My previous commute was more "city" and I didn't really see an increase in mpg if I remember correctly. On my way to work this morning, I avg'd about 65mph and the digital readout hit 21mpg by the time I took my exit (after 30mile hwy).

I did however see an increase in my 1/4 mile times. I went from 15.9's to 15.4's with the same setup. That was with the 91 tune from James Henson, cat back exhaust and full weight.

If you are wanting to get 25mpg, you are in the wrong car. I'm not saying it's not possible since Aldive was able to get 30+ mpg out of his 2nd gen, but it will be a lot of work to make that a consistent figure. A more reasonable number would be 20mpg and I would be tickled if I could get that.

:DI didnt buy this truck for its mpg. Im not expecting 25, im skeptical of his claim. But it did get me thinking about moderate mpg gains among other benefits with these mods.
Id love to se 21 on my readout! Isnt your ex is lowered with lopro tires?

:DI didnt buy this truck for its mpg. Im not expecting 25, im skeptical of his claim. But it did get me thinking about moderate mpg gains among other benefits with these mods.
Id love to se 21 on my readout! Isnt your ex is lowered with lopro tires?

Not really lowered that much as I only trimmed the springs. I'd say it's about a 1/2-3/4 inch lower all around compared to stock. I do have 20's, but they are also wider than stock which doesn't help with mpg. And to answer your previous question, I have 3.73 gears ;)

Back