• Register Today It's free!

Clicky noise from transfer case

Yamifixer

Reaction score
City, State
Gales Ferry CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Navajo XL
Simple(I hope) question. I have a '93 Navajo with 140,000 on it and about a week ago it started to click when moving like a stone in a tire. I finally tracked it down to the transfer case. 1 click per drive shaft revolution and if you rotate it by hand back and forth it sound like something is loose inside the case. Any ideas and does it sound as bad as i think it might be?

Thanks for any insight.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

considering how old ur vehicle is, my first guess is a loose chain as they do 'stretch' over time.. check the fluid level first tho.

If it is the chain on the xfer case, it will snap evnentually... I drove about 5k miles on our xfer case once it started to click... I didn't know it was the xfer case.. I found out when the chain snapped... I got lucky and got a used xfer case for $200.. Most places wanted $250+ but the yard gave me a deal since I was 600 miles from home when it snapped.

~Mark

Thanks. I guess I'll start looking for a transfercase.

u dont necessarily need to start looking for another transfer case.. if the chain is the problem, you can swap the chain urself, though it is a littlep pricey from the dealer, but online, you can probably find a new chain for like 130 or so dollars.

yea i looked into the overhaul parts. around 230 for a chain and a kit with the rest of it but i called around yesterday and can get one from a salvage yard for 200. I just worry if it is truly any better than the clicky one I have.

Back