clunk sound.. pedal vibrates?? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

clunk sound.. pedal vibrates??

Ours has a weird clunk / thunk when you first turn it on and start driving away at about 5 mph. It never does it again until you restart it. Sounds like it's coming from roughly right in front of the drivers seat.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ours has a weird clunk / thunk when you first turn it on and start driving away at about 5 mph. It never does it again until you restart it. Sounds like it's coming from roughly right in front of the drivers seat.

ABS check?
That clunk sound was very noticeable on the stock 20s and now I'm running on 18 winters, I barely notice it, or hear/feel it at every startup and initial drive.

As stated, it is the abs system check and is normal. It checks/activates itself once you start moving after every startup.

I have the 20's and haven't heard that. will check if I remember. odd - might it have anything to do with how hard you hit the gas or direction you depart?

I know about the ABS check function but can't say I've actually noticed it in either the 2011 Ex I had or my current vehicle.

Peter

I have the 20's and haven't heard that. will check if I remember. odd - might it have anything to do with how hard you hit the gas or direction you depart?

If I can explain the noise, its like an "ummpphh" sound.

ABS check?
That clunk sound was very noticeable on the stock 20s and now I'm running on 18 winters, I barely notice it, or hear/feel it at every startup and initial drive.

As stated, it is the abs system check and is normal. It checks/activates itself once you start moving after every startup.

Good to know. I tried to listen to it outside of the vehicle and I really couldn't even hear it.

For the fan bearing noise, it will definitely be covered for us under warranty (I'm presently at 1365miles) and hopefully it won't lead to other serious issues.

Do you ever drive it? :D

2016 Explorer XLT 4WD light Clunk Sound Problem

I purchased a brand 2016 explorer and since new it has a light clunk sound and you feel a click on gas pedal when accelerating in Drive out of Park. Brought it to the dealership and they don't know what the issue is. Any Ideas?

Steps to Recreate:

1) From Park put the vehicle in Drive
2) Start accelerating in forward motion and I hear a clunk/click sound and feel it in the gas pedal.

The problem does not occur in that driving session unless you put the vehicle in park again and then back to Drive.

Any Ideas or does anyone else have this problem?

I purchased a brand 2016 explorer and since new it has a light clunk sound and you feel a click on gas pedal when accelerating in Drive out of Park. Brought it to the dealership and they don't know what the issue is. Any Ideas?

Steps to Recreate:

2) Start accelerating in forward motion and I hear a clunk/click sound and feel it in the gas pedal.

The problem does not occur in that driving session unless you put the vehicle in park again and then back to Drive.

ABS activating (self check) upon startup when you put it in gear and start to drive. Completely normal.

Steps to Recreate:

Welcome to the Forum. :wavey:
Using the Forum's 'Search' function I found this thread and merged yours with it. Very concerned that your dealer service department doesn't know about this. Hopefully they will be more helpful with any future concerns you may have.

Peter

Yes that is concerning with dealership I drive the truck with them and they had 3 or 4 mechanics saying they didn't know what it is and that it doesn't seem normal. I am on the stick 20" rims.

Symptoms do match earlier in thread where noise occurs around 5mph

Thanks for the help

The ABS self-check should occur once per drive cycle. So, after it happens and you stop, shift to P, then without turning off your vehicle shift back to D & drive again, the ABS will NOT self-check again. If your feeling the clunk in the same situation I explained, then it is something other than the ABS self-check & it is not normal.

Long story here by if it's not the abs check then make them replace the "Body Control Module". It's located underneath the steering column and controls the firing of the abs system and other things. It's a cheap part but availability can be challenging. You will get the runaround but tell them to replace it. A bad one does not show up in their standard testing.

Yes it does not occur when I drive then stop go back into park and drive again so must be ABS test. Thanks to all who replied

2014 Sport with 56k. In parking garages, I can hear a single click when I start from a stop. Forward, or back. It's not cv joints as turning makes no difference. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Shumax

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2014 Sport with 56k. In parking garages, I can hear a single click when I start from a stop. Forward, or back. It's not cv joints as turning makes no difference. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
Shumax
I've merged your thread with this one that will likely explain what you are hearing.

Peter

Back