2012 Explorer Gas Pedal Vibration 1200-1500RPM | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2012 Explorer Gas Pedal Vibration 1200-1500RPM

Raubod- thanks for your post. Anyone else been able to get theirs fixed? I've been too worn down to deal with it but now that the kids are back in school I am feeling more motivated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just posted a problem with my 2011 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4. I bought it used at 16,314 miles. It was a lease, so I didn't expect the other owner to have taken care of it.

I had several common problems so far-a blower motor was leaking (vacuum leak), the "A" pillar on the passenger side was either leaking air or vibrating causing the molding to make a rattling noise.

The biggest issue I had and is a concern was it appears that upon acceleration from a dead stop I would have a vibration, and it appeared to be coming from the right side of the vehicle. I had all the tires checked, balanced, rotated and they were fine. I took it to the dealership and they told me that all their Explorers on the lot had the same problem (which I am extremely skeptical about). You are the first one that I see on any blog reporting a somewhat similar problem. It appears that it is present all the way up to 35mph, and sometimes it is painfully obvious, other times it is a subtle problem. I am thinking defective motor mount? Axle defect?

whoops....

Sorry about that folks, new to the Explorer forums and setups, I did not read the entire thread before posting mine.

Nexus, it appears you may have found a fix for the vibration problem then?

No fix for me still

No fix for my 2012 Explorer issues.
54 days in the shop before the first oil change for the vibration issue and whine!

So from day one I had the nasty vibration in my gas pedal and occasional whine which has progressively gotten worse. Adding extra weight to the transmission shifter cable helped but did not eliminate my pedal vibration.
Now at 40Mph is where I get the worst whine and pedal vibration (back to what it was before the weight was added). It used to be 35mph...so its changing.
Now at Around 13,000 miles one day it started vibrating really bad on the highway between 55-70mph and at 75mph it smooths out to a softer vibration.
At 40mph (1300rpm) it hesitates/jerks until I give it gas and it downshifts then the hesitation/jerking goes away until it upshifts again and stays at 40mph (1300rpms). I can no longer take the highway to get to work because sometimes the vibration is so strong it feels dangerous. It also whines like I have a supercharger on it at 25mph and 40mph and over. I can even hear it on the highway now (before I couldn't).
Mine has defiantly gotten worse. I took it to a third dealer recently because corporate Ford is involved again and the third dealer had it for one day and I asked them to do "OASIS SSM 22519" fix....Oh yeah by the way Ford KNOWS about the vibration and whine/hum issue and came out with the Special service message 22519.
They did not fix my issue and I even typed up two pages of what is wrong and how to recreate each of the issues speeds, rpm's etc.. and instead the dealer gave it back and said it's fixed without the mechanic road testing it.
My 2012 Explorer (16,000 miles) between the vibration and the hum feels like a 20 year old vehicle that never was taken care of. Corporate Ford said that previously my Explorer was too new so they did not know how to fix it. Now I am taking it to a fourth dealer.
I am 90% sure this is a transmission issue however engineers from Ford, field engineers, and local dealers have all looked at it when it only had 3000 miles on it and said they could not prove it is the transmission so I have been stuck driving this since August 2011 without any fix.
Now I take all back ways to work and home because I cannot drive on the highway.
Maybe this fourth dealer will finally say it is my transmission and fix it. (I am not holding my breath though)

I am in the process of a (hopefully) buy-back/Lemon Law on my '11 Explorer and I would strongly urge you to do the same. There is no reason to put up with your vehicle in that condition and you are correct to worry about long-term consequences/reliability. Have them give you a new vehicle and be happy. After all of the repair efforts and help you have given, they owe it to you to make it right, regardless of Lemon status.

What a shame you have had such a horrible Ford experience. They owe you a new one. I would be surprised, with your history, if they even made you go through the arbitration process (which is no big deal, btw)- they SHOULD make it right.

Sa
Hello all,
At the end of August I got a 2012 Explorer AWD XLT with 18" wheels after Ford swapped it under the Lemon Law for my 2010 Explorer that had no brakes (6 months of fighting with Ford - I am more than happy to answer any Lemon Law questions if needed). So far my MyTouch has had some issues (Ver 2.11) I have had to remove the battery cable on several occasions to fix it.
But my biggest complaint and why I would tell everyone while test driving one, check for a vibration in the gas pedal between 1200-1500RPM. Going up a slight incline will make it stand out even more. Mine does it really bad and it feels like there is a electric razor vibrating under my foot. I didn't notice it at first but once I started driving it it really stood out. Now I can't drive anywhere if I have to keep the speed between 25 and 35MPH at 1200-1500RPM without getting angry. Two different dealers have driven it and said they feel it but it does not bother them and there are no other complaints from other customers according to them.

I have test driven two other 2012 Explorers (Both Limited) and they also have this buzzing/vibrating sensation between 1200-1500RPM (Not as much as mine - 20inch rims perhaps on them?). Normally these types of vibrations would not bother me but as someone who drives 2000 miles per month it's getting annoying. It also slightly vibrates up through all gears and speeds until I get to the proper speed and back off the pedal for cruising speed and then I just get a vibration from the road through the steering wheel.
Like I said I have driven two others and they act very similar. It is a transmission/engine/vibration issue with all 2012 Explorers I have driven.
The gas pedal is ABS plastic and so is the Pedal mount and the spot where it connects under the dashboard. I do not see any rubber washers around any mounting surfaces under the dashboard, only Bolts with metal washers mounting braces to the firewall and threaded studs sticking through from the engine compartment not attached to anything under the dashboard.

I have even removed the pedal and applied Dynamat (Expensive vibration dampening material) to the back and remounted it and it still does the same thing. In 2008 Tauruses had a similar issues and it turned out to be where their transmission lines mounted to the body. Ford corrected it by mounting them in a different location and the problem went away.

Please reply at this site if yours does this so that Ford might notice or If yours does not then I can complain more to Ford.

I am hoping through the power of the internet that many of you great Explorer folks will help me troubleshoot this. Who knows maybe one of you has the answer already.

Please help me troubleshoot this. I have already spent this year since January fighting with Ford over my 2010 Explorer with no brakes that they had a lead engineer drive on several occasions and said even though the pedal travels to the floor and it takes a lot to stop, that is just the way explorers are. Finally they agreed to exchange it...78 days in the shop!

If you test drive or own a 2012 (maybe a 2011) Explorer Please reply and tell me if you feel the vibration in the gas pedal between 1200-1500RPM.
My steering wheel also vibrates depending on Road surface.

I do not enjoy my Explorer at all.
Very harsh ride!
This is my 9th Ford vehicle.
All I ever buy is Ford but that will change after all this.:(

2012 Explorer XLT
AWD
V6
18" rims
2300 Miles
Accelerator pedal vibration buzzing 1200-1500RPM
same bs I'm having with my 17 awd xlt

Back