2012 Explorer Gas Pedal Vibration 1200-1500RPM | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2012 Explorer Gas Pedal Vibration 1200-1500RPM

That's a bummer.

I wonder if there could be a bad engine/transmission mount or something similar which was causing the vibration which is transmitted by the throttle cable to the pedal. They clamped it down better to reduce/eliminate the vibration but maybe that failed, or caused a failure elsewhere.

Mine still vibrates. I've trained myself to ignore it, mostly, until the MFT really angers me and then I think, "This POS still vibrates... I hate Ford for pretending the problem isn't a problem! Argh!"
RandyH2: What does the dealer think yours could be?
Remember when you asked if mine vibrated while holding my foot on the brake and keeping the engine at 2000RPM? At the time the vibration was not that bad for me just a bit excessive, now it vibrates doing that way more than it should.

I dropped my 2012 Explorer off on (12/22/11).
My service manager is really nice thank goodness.
He also got me a 2010 Explorer 4WD as my rental Which is ironic since it is almost identical to the one that Ford replaced for me under the Ohio lemon law for this 2012 Explorer I am now fighting with (For details read my previous posts).

I am pretty sure that this will be an unsolvable mystery and I will be spending many hours in travel time back and forth to the dealer and probably many months talking on the phone to Ford and the dealer (and losing money at work - I already did that this year from January to August for my 2010).
After which point I will have to pursue the Lemon Law AGAIN to replace this second Explorer in the string of problem vehicles I have gotten from Ford since 2010 (I refused a 2011 Explorer because it had a long 5 inch flaw in the paint under the clear coat on the driver side fender and on the rear hatch a big spiky blob of paint - should NOT have passed quality control).

After only buying Fords my whole life I think I am done.

After speaking with many sources over the last year I learned a lot about Ford.
Did you know that Ford will not let a dealer fix something even if the dealer KNOWS that it is the problem without first reproducing the issue (from what I have been told)? They can't even take a vehicle apart without permission now to try to diagnose it unless they can prove that taking it apart is needed to fix the issue (from what I have been told). That is why (I believe) none of the vibration issues will be fixed because Ford will not give permission to the dealers to do whatever it takes to fix the issue so the dealer is stuck in the middle unless they can prove what it is.
So far my Service manger and two engineers from Detroit (who drove to the dealer) have physically worked on this for many hours at the same time together and no one has a clue what it could be (not allowed to take things apart though because they can't pinpoint the issue). Ford also has a research tech group in Detroit who spent 2 whole weeks sifting through notes from other dealers and engineers and they could not come up with any answer to what this could be.

Merry Christmas everyone!
Maybe Santa will bring me ANOTHER replacement Explorer to replace this bad one.
I used to enjoy seeing Mike Rowe on TV but now not so much anymore when doing the Ford promos - reminds me of this past year fighting with Ford on my 2010 EX and now my 2012 EX!
Just kidding Mike I do enjoy Dirty Jobs though!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

In mine it vibrates at a slightly higher rpm range than the first poster, but not only can you feel it in the pedals, you can feel it in the floor all around the driver AND passengers' sides...... Ive gotten used to it, but people in the back notice it, too...

Still not Fixed

I picked up my 2012 Explorer on 1/17/12 after it was in the shop for 27 days. It still is not fixed. Now it vibrates at any speed and any RPM and can be felt through my gas pedal and now strongly in the floor. The dealer and the engineer from Detroit and the Field engineer moved all the engine, transmission, and exhaust mounts around to see if it fixed it.
The field engineer said now it feels like his 2012 Explorer and all the others he has driven. If that is true and they all vibrate as bad as mine, then I don't want one anymore.

- 2010 Explorer had been in shop for a total of 78 Days
- 2012 Explorer has been in the shop for 48 days total as of 1/18/2012 and still not fixed.

I keep getting told that no one knows how to fix this and Ford keeps saying no one else has had this same issue so they don't know how to fix it.

Please if you have a vibration that can be felt through the floor and or Gas pedal and possibly a whining noise over 45mph, post a reply with your 2012 Explorer specs and problem.

Thanks everyone.

I have same problem!

I didn't try to fix it, just watched Nexus' posts first. It's BS if ford says this is normal vibration for these trucks. I spend almost 50K for this car and expect adequate quality!

Hey, at least we know we're all crazy together...

I've been hoping mine would improve with age but it hasn't. They have managed to wear me out on trips to have them fix it so I have been doing my best to ignore it. I think it may be time to complain some more.

...I keep getting told that no one knows how to fix this and Ford keeps saying no one else has had this same issue so they don't know how to fix it...
Nexus,

I replied to you on another thread but just in case you missed it, I’ll post here as well. I forwarded the details to Scott for you.

In mine it vibrates at a slightly higher rpm range than the first poster, but not only can you feel it in the pedals, you can feel it in the floor all around the driver AND passengers' sides...
Are you still experiencing the vibration, Rosko97? I can help by sending the details to the Customer Service Manager in your area. For me to do that, please send a PM with your VIN, contact info, dealer name/state, and mileage.

I didn't try to fix it, just watched Nexus' posts first...
Here is the thread where I have discussed my vibration issues. You are not alone!...
...I've been hoping mine would improve with age but it hasn't...
kjdrafting, houtzb, & RandyH2,

I have your Explorer’s details from previous messages, so drop a line via PM if you’d like me to schedule a follow-up.

Cory

You are not alone. I have 2011 ford explorer xlt without awd and without tow package. My explorer was built on 04/30/2011. I have the vibration at higher rpms. It's very annoying, I hope Ford can find a way to finally fix this. Any new updates on this issue?

Update on 2012 Explorer vibration

For 2011 Explorer's the vibration can be from the transmission cooler line being mounted too close the the HCU for the anti-lock brakes. Ask your dealer to check it out.
Ford must of known this was an issue because the 2012 Explorer's have the two components separated by about a foot.
Also I have driven several other Explorers both 2011 and 2012 and so far I can pick up the vibration pretty easily since I know what I am looking for.
It does not matter if it is front wheel or four wheel drive as I discovered. I drove a 2011 front wheel drive Explorer awhile back that vibrated way worse than any of the others I drove including mine at it's worst. The dealer told me that so far they where not able to sell it because people would rather order a different one (now 2012) than take that one home.

I have also discovered that there are two weights on the transmission shifter cable that help dampen the vibration to the gas pedal. The cable comes in through the firewall next to the gas pedal. My dealer added an extra weight to the cable and the vibration lessened but is still there.

If the dealer disconnects the transmission shifter cable at the transmission then there is zero vibration when it's driven. (manually have to shift into drive on the side of the transmission with the hood up to test drive it)

Unfortunately there is nothing more I can do because the engineers from Detroit also both had new Explorers (unsure if they where 2011 or 2012's) and they said mine vibrates as much as theirs does so there is nothing more Ford will do for me. I asked if theirs had a whine/hum and never got a straight answer.

My customer service rep from Ford told me that he would "do something nice" for me once my Explorer got fixed. After it was given back to me for the third time (48 days in shop) and still had a vibration (it was less than before) I never heard from him again and he NEVER did anything nice for me like he said he was going to.
I took it back to the shop one more time and gave up since the service manager said the engineers from Detroit where done helping since they did not think the vibration was abnormal.

Shortly I will be trading in my 2012 Explorer for another brand of SUV, maybe a Subaru outback.
All I have ever owned is Ford, Mustangs, Bronco's and Explorers...that's it nothing else.
Ford does not seem to recognize customer loyalty from what I have personally seen in my dealings with them since my 2010 Explorer brakes failing and with my 2012 Explorer vibration and hum. No nice apology letters, no thank you letters, no discounts or rebates, nothing at all...

No more Fords for me ever again.

One more thing to note: As my dealer informed me, Ford will NOT cover the time your dealer has to put into your vehicle to find your vibration issue or any other issue. Ford ONLY pays the dealers for the part they fix or replace and some time billed with it. My dealer received payment for the weight they added to my transmission shifter cable ($6) and the time spent installing the weight (.5 hr). That is it...My dealer did not get reimbursed for removing my transmission, or rotating the torque convertor or any of the many other tests they did to find the vibration over 48 days. Same goes for my 2010 Explorer brake issue that the dealer diagnosed for 78 days. My dealer told me GM is the same way.
So that may be why anyone with weird issues cannot get them solved because your dealer is not being reimbursed for all their time they put into diagnosing it unless they find the problem and fix it to get paid from Ford (but only for the part and the time associated with that part replacement).
I am just glad my dealer went above and beyond to try and help me.

Anyone else have a vibration or a whine/hum get fixed on your 2012 Explorer?

2010 Ford Explorer Gas Pedal Vibration

I have a 2010 Ford Explorer with the exact same issues... After a while 20 min in the AM my foot becomes so hot from the vibration I can hardly keep driving. Amen to the Ford Dealer testing with thick rubber soles.... Can't feel a thing.. I am at the dealer once again... We shall see... Thanks for posting...

Hello all my new Explorer friends,
I have been troubleshooting this issue (and not spending time with my pregnant wife..lol) and found that in the morning after 5 minutes of driving there is a very little amount of vibration in the gas pedal between 1200-1500RPM. Feels just as it should no complaints....I would be sooo happy if it stayed this way.

Here is my Troubleshooting and testing:
My 2012 Explorer XLT has sat in my driveway overnight since 6pm the night before (roughly 13 hours) with a low of 40F overnight.
After approx 20 minutes of driving (I watched the time minute by minute) I noticed the gas pedal started with the harsher vibration, but not as bad as it gets. I drove another 30 minutes to work and it started to get bad to the point of feeling like the electric razor buzzing under my foot when I finally made it to the parking lot and drove between 1200-1500RPM.

The first 20 minutes of driving in the morning felt similar to what the two other 2012 Explorer Limited's I test drove. They had been sitting all night also and I only test drove them for about 15 - 20 minutes just enough to feel their gas pedal start to tingle (good description?).
OK...now I think I am on to something.

Driving home from work was different as I started out of the parking lot it only took about 5 minutes for the gas pedal to start vibrating like an electric razor was under my foot between 1200-1500RPM.
So right from the start of the drive it was bad.
The difference was it had warmed up to about 58F and my 2012 Explorer only sat in the parking lot for 7 hours.
My temp gauge went up to normal in about 8-10 minutes of driving also.

So I think that temp plays a role in this.

Here is what I think MAY be going on:
The transmission and engine heat up much slower in the morning (from sitting overnight in the cold) and the engine stays longer in the closed loop fuel mode which means it runs richer (more gas, less air) which means that the vibration MAY be resulting from a lean fuel condition.
Possibly Timing/knock sensor/fuel mixture/transmission operation I don't know about yet.

Once the vehicle warms up to normal operating temp (took mine approx 20 minutes in the morning) the engine goes to a lean fuel mixture (less gas, more air) which is normal but it causes the vibration (Electric-razor-under-the-foot-feel) to start.

NOW my thought on this is that Ford in the quest to get better fuel economy decided to lean the Fuel mixture as much as possible.

So to test this Ford could reprogram the computer to change how lean they want it and see if the Gas pedal vibration goes away. Yes I know there is a lot involved in this which is why they have not done so yet.

My Thoughts:
It is strange that every 2012 Explorer I have driven and 2012 or 2011 Explorer owner I have met in public and in chat rooms, and in forums have this problem except for 1 person out of approx 25 people and Ford does not have a TSB or recall to fix it...they have to know about it, but they know it will cost too much money to fix.

Also I think the people who have not felt this gas pedal vibration have a short drive and it is not noticeable to them. Or like with my Ford dealer service manager he test drove it (after I drove it 40 min to him) with heavy work boots on with Dr Sholl inserts. He said he could feel it somewhat when the gas pedal vibrated as bad as it gets.

So anyone who has felt this or not felt this please reply with:
1) Does your 2012 or 2011 Explorer do this?
2) How long into the drive do you notice it? Or if you never notice it and your drive is long?
3) How long has the vehicle sat since it was last driven (to its normal operating temp) before you noticed this when you drove it the next time?
4) What was the overnight temp approx?
5) Is it a V6 or the new 4 cyl?

Thank you again to everyone who is helping troubleshoot this.
Please don't be shy about your 2012 and 2011 Explorer if you would like to reply on this thread to help me troubleshoot this even further.

I really don't want to spend any more time at the dealer this year, 6 months in and out and 78 days cumulative on my previous 2010 Explorer braking issue was more than enough.

I notice the same problem. Almost all of the time I feel electric razor under my food. It's very annoying. Fortunately for longer trip I use adaptive cruise control. It is awesome feature!

That's a good description. I haven't noticed it lately so maybe the resonance went away. The pedals aren't attached to the chassis directly and the throttle is by-wire, so it's a real mystery.
I'm sure that the entire engine/trans is lifted up as a complete unit on the assy line, so maybe if the chassis-mount bolts aren't run-in a certain way, you'll get this problem.
Further, I wonder if the Explorers with this problem are from a particular assy line impact gun operator? Maybe Lois on the third shift is the culprit!
If I catch up on all the chores my wife has for me, I'll poke around under the car myself.

Just got a response back that my vibration was " compared to a like vehicle. No issue found".

I will be driving a 2013 at the dealer as a comparison when I go back in to talk to the service manager. Wonder if the issue is fixed with the 2013's.

I wonder if there could be a bad engine/transmission mount or something similar which was causing the vibration which is transmitted by the throttle cable to the pedal. They clamped it down better to reduce/eliminate the vibration but maybe that failed, or caused a failure elsewhere.

There is no throttle cable. The Explorer has electronic throttle control (ETC).

Just got a response back that my vibration was " compared to a like vehicle. No issue found".

I will be driving a 2013 at the dealer as a comparison when I go back in to talk to the service manager. Wonder if the issue is fixed with the 2013's.

Hey UCFGreg. We have only a couple hundred miles on our 2013, but have not felt anything like is described in this thread. Maybe it is fixed?

I have a 2011 and do not have this issue. In my opinion, if a vehicle has a vibration, it has a problem. There are only a few things built to vibrate and the Explorer is not one of them.

Peter

Good God. Reading this thread really wore me out. I feel seriously sorry for the OP. I am going to pick up my 2013 XLT 4WD tonight and I am seriously scared to do so. I am going to drive it again and really look for that vibration before I sign anything. Good luck to the OP and I hope this gets resolved but it sure does look bleak.

Hey UCFGreg. We have only a couple hundred miles on our 2013, but have not felt anything like is described in this thread. Maybe it is fixed?

I sure hope so. Ford never called me back...Guess I'll have to pick things up next week.

I've been looking at buying a new Explorer, but only if Ford can figure out these problems. I can't afford to spend that kind of money on a truck just to have it parked at the local dealership in the shop all the time while they"troubleshoot".

I've been looking at buying a new Explorer, but only if Ford can figure out these problems. I can't afford to spend that kind of money on a truck just to have it parked at the local dealership in the shop all the time while they"troubleshoot".
Welcome to the Forum ewb.:wavey:
I would say that a large majority of owners don't have all these issues. I have a 2011 and have only had it in for one TSB (random windshield wipe). As one member pointed out in another thread, many people come to a forum through an Internet 'search' because they have a particular problem. If you wait for the 'perfect' vehicle, you could be waiting a long long time.
When you shop around, take the vehicle for a good test drive and take it out on the highway to see if it is sound and quiet. By reading the various posts on this forum you should have a general idea of what to check before making a final decision. Good luck. I think it is a great vehicle.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We bought a 2013 EX in late July. Ride was great. At about 1000 miles we started to hear a transmission whine. Also slightly felt in the pedal too. First visit to the dealer it could not be diagnosed because it was intermittent and very quiet. The service manager suggested we continue driving, that if something is wrong most often it will become noticeable very quickly. It got louder and more consistent. We brought it back to the dealer and they found a transmission cooling line that was not secured. It was vibrating against something. They secured the cooling line and the whine is gone. That was this morning. Hopefully that is it and it won't come back. The dealer was very accommodating and the transmission specialist drove it and recognized the sound immediately as a cooling line vibrating against something. Just thought you folks on this forum might want to know about this potentially simple solution to a problem that may be hard to diagnose.

Back