• Register Today It's free!

Professor_Tomorrow

Reaction score
City, State
Johannesburg
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer XLT
Hello all,
I have an 2015 Explorer XLT AWD with 95,000 miles. I hear a clunking noise at lower speeds (less than cruising speed) while turning right. The noise seems to be coming from the front left (driver's side). I suspected either a ball joint or control arm bushing.

I lifted the vehicle and attempted to diagnose the issue by holding the tire at the 3 and 9 position. The strangest thing happened, I was able to turn the wheels by hand! Not spin the wheels, but actually change the steering direction of the wheels. I could also see the steering wheel turning inside the vehicle. I do not know if this is part of the issue or something that is 'normal' for this vehicle. Any idea if this is 'normal?'

Also I have had the vehicle serviced twice for a squeaking noise while turning. The dealer said it was common and the steering shaft needed greased. Any ideas on that? Where does it need greased?

Below is an image of the control arm bushing, which to me looks like its worn out.

20211012_163056.jpg

Thanks

The bushing looks hammered out and could very well be the source of your noise.

Being able to turn the wheels the way you did is normal.

The bushing looks hammered out and could very well be the source of your noise.

Being able to turn the wheels the way you did is normal.
Thank you for responding!

I've worked on Ford vehicles all my life and never encountered a suspension/steering setup quite like this. Of course this is the 'newest' vehicle I have ever worked on. The next closest in age is my 2005 Expedition.:pumpkin:

I chased a very similar clunk, changed tie rods, etc with no luck. Ultimately I replaced the lower control arms and that resolved the issue.

Back