• Register Today It's free!

Clunking and shaking

SuperKirby

Reaction score
City, State
Central MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 Explorer XLT
I'll do my best to explain this. Hopefully someone can help.

I have a 93 Ex with a manual transmission. It's had some shaking and shimmying issues since I got it but they've gotten worse. When I put it in gear- any gear most of the time, it makes a clunking sound. It also usually makes this same sound when I let of clutch. And when I give it some gas. It kind of sounds like there's play in something and it's taking up some slack. When I get up to highway speeds, it usually has a vibration and shake to it, not always and sometimes it's worse than others. Usually above about 30 or so there's a spot where I'm just barely pushing the gas that it gets a real good shake to it. Let off the gas completely or push harder and it gets better or goes away. And last, when I slow down, about half the time I can hear a popping sound of some sort coming from it. I was thinking U-joints, but I've checked it a couple times and everything seems tight. It sounds like it's coming from the drive shaft or there abouts.

Is there any chance that someone can help me out?

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would start by getting under and checking the condition of the radius arm bushing, the drive shaft, and U-joints.

You can also see if any weights might have fell off the drive shaft and turn it back and forth and see how much it moves.

Does it pull to one side? Have you had an alignment done? Have the U-joints been replaced at some point?

You can also jack each wheel off the ground and try and wiggle the tire back and forth, and up and down. It could be a sign of loose/bad wheel bearings, or ball joints, respectively.

I'm going to crawl under it this morning and play around some more. I know I have a bad u joint on the front passenger side, but I can't see that causing the clunking and popping issues heard around the driveshaft with throttle, shifting, etc. I haven't had an alignment done in the last year. It tracks straight both driving and braking. I don't notice the issue much in the steering wheel which makes me think it's not in the front end. Again, I could be wrong about that part.

I don't know... I crawled under it this morning. Nothing. U joints all appear to be tight. I played with google and a lot of signs point to an unbalanced drive shaft. I don't know if there's anyway to tell if that's the case? Otherwise it possible the pinion bearing or something is shot and it's allowing vibration? But then wouldn't that be a problem at all speeds?
Last question for now- any time I've changed u joints they were clearly bad. Is it possible for them to need replaced but still look ok? Or is that not the case?

The only way you might be able to tell if the drive shaft is unbalanced, is by looking if there is like a "cleaner" spot on it where a weight used to be. Are there any weights it? If not, then that could be your problem.

Two weights for sure up by the transmission end. I don't see anywhere that looks like there should be weights.
Right now I think I'm going tomorrow I'll grab a couple u joints for the driveshaft and change those. From the way it sounds that would be what I would think the problem is. The fact that I can't detect any play in it seems odd but I guess who knows.

Just when you do replace them, make sure you have the drive shaft oriented the say exact way it is now, otherwise you will definitely have to get it rebalanced. Apparently they are balanced while on the vehicle, so that's why.

I'm surprised somebody who knows more about this or has any other ideas hasn't chimed in.

Good luck!

Yeah I was kind of hoping more people would jump in. Maybe since it's Sunday everyone is gone. If not I'll just keep playing around and see what I can find.

While driving home from work tonight it was making all sorts of noise, particularly while stopping. I found a way to record the sound on my phone, so I'll try to cut the sound clip short and upload it. I don't know if that's possible? If not I'll email it to anyone that can take a listen and tell me the problem.

hopefully this works? This was tonight slowing down to a stop. The noise starts from about 7 mph down to a stop. This is with the vehicle in neutral if that makes a difference.

View My Video

It didn't work, try youtube.

Not sure what I'm doing wrong. I can't get it to upload. I think maybe since it's just an audio file and not a video file?

Worked for me, it's just audio.

Kind of sounds like you're dragging a tin can or something.

It kinda sounds like a problem my dad had with an old F-150- worn ball joints-

It does doesn't it. From inside it sounds like it's resonating in the driveshaft. It reminds me of the sound my old B2 made when the centering yoke went out.

Ok, if just didn't work on the last computer I tried. Have you tried putting it on jack stands? I know its not the safest, but if the sound goes away, it would narrow the search a little. Any chance of a busted tranny mount? That's pretty well hidden, and would be hard to tell its bad without looking at it.

Don't know for sure. I can maybe throw it on Jack stands tomorrow. What should i look for? Hadn't thought of a tranny mount but I'll l check that too.

Things I would look for is anything loose. If its not U-joints, it sounds like some kind of rattle. There has to be close to a dozen skid plates, any of which could have come loose. Maybe pop the skid plate below the T case off and look for rubbing. Basically rubbing, and loose parts is what you are looking for.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Put it up on Jack stands. As soon as i got it up and bumped the tire with no weight on it was obviously a u joint. Got a light and found the rear u joint is shot. A lot. I don't know if you usually have to check the drive line with no weight on it? Maybe it's common knowledge but i didn't know that. It's on stand and I'll get them changed tomorrow.
Of hand can anyone tell me what size 12 pt socket i need? I don't know that i have a lot of 12 pts so may need to pick one up in the morning before i start.

Back