Went in the mud, BAAAAAD Shake | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Went in the mud, BAAAAAD Shake

Reaction score
City, State
Chesapeake VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Explorer Sport
Yea went in a little mud yesterday for the first time. Stock 93 sport. Before going in the mud, no vibrations drove straight. Now once i get above 35 its starts shaking, i was afraid to go above 55, but when I did hit 55 the damn thing is shaking its ass off. I mean a violent shake. It'll get better for a min, then get worse, if i'm doing a slight turn, it goes away a little bit. My shifter is shaking really bad, steering wheel shaking. My passenger side seat looked like it was gonna break off. Last week I put new radius bushing, resurfaced rotors, new pads, new brake clips. WTF??? Help me out :-D I'm scrared to drive this thing.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hose the mud out. :)

Definitely. The smallest amount of mud stuck on the inside of your wheel can wreck havoc on your balance. Right, IZ?

You ever seen 'My Cousin Vinnie'? You got mud in your tires. Hose the crap out of it, all should be well. Go at the rims from under the truck (the back side)

Hose the brakes too. We carry the big old fire extengishers, water filled compressed air pressure, just so we can hose the wheels, tires and brakes befor we hit he pavement.

Compare- How small are the weights used to balance your wheels? Yep- mud can do it, and not much at all... ;)

Compare- How small are the weights used to balance your wheels? Yep- mud can do it, and not much at all... ;)

So can ice, in the winter. Hot brakes + snow = water + cold temperatures = ice

Hell, even driving in deep snow, and getting some of that packed in a wheel can do it.

Yea, I never even thought about mud acting like that, guess its common since. I sprayed a lot of the mud off my wheels with a garden hose, it's better. I'm pressure washing it tomorrow, hopefully it'll go away. Thanks

well i pressure washed it, shakes less, but still pretty bad, also I noticed that it looks like my passenger side rear tire is shoved in 2 inches or so. When I went in the mud, I went straight, no sharp turns didn't hit anything. Don't know WTF.

did you smack you drive shaft on anything and put a slight bend in it?

did you smack you drive shaft on anything and put a slight bend in it?

I was buried up to the drive shaft in mud, but it was a corn field that they just milled, wasn't nothing in there to damage anything.

Could have lost a wheel weight. Did you spin the tires like a crazy iz when you got stuck?

Could have lost a wheel weight. Did you spin the tires like a crazy iz when you got stuck?

Ha, yea. I just found another 3 pound clump of mud, lol...nother test run. By the way, passenger tire is fine, rear plastic just is sitting different.

Could have lost a wheel weight.
that's what i would say. i've lost more wheel weights than i'd ever would of imagined with my truck. i usually throw a couple every year.

Well truck is spic and span, back waxed like it always has been, that last clump of mud took most of the vibration away. Thanks for all the help.

i almost get the same problem living here in Ohio... in a snowbelt town. the snow gets really deep at times, would pack it it, just go to a cheap car wash that was still open and washed it all out.

i have to count how many weights are on the tires before i go into the mud because i always lose the damned things... i wrote how many and what weight are on what tire on a piece of tape inside the drivers side door (where the vin is) and mark on the rim with a white paint pen where all the weights hang out... and i carry 2 of every size weight i use. paint pen makes it easy to put the weight back where it came from and the tape inside the door tells me how many grams the weight was.
where i usually go muddin there is no shortage of creeks to drive through to clean those mud whoring areas out real well :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back