Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Littleton, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
Yep. That's the question.

Background:
My Explorer is used primarily for trail running and the occasional drive around town between trail runs to keep everything from sitting too long. It's not a daily driver at all.

I currently have the typical warrior shackles, AAL and TT with a 2" body lift and 33" tires. It sits at roughly 75" high to the factory crossbars- my garage is 82" tall. Why is this important? Because no matter what, I want to be able to continue to park in the garage.

If I go SAS, I'd also do SOA and get rid of the warrior shackles and AAL (possibly a new spring pack). Any ideas on how tall I'd be sitting like this with 33s?

If I go coilovers, height won't change much so that's not an issue.

Either way, the rear axle is getting a trutrac. While getting through difficult stuff with open diffs is sort of rewarding, I'd like both rear wheels churning along instead of just one.

I'm not really into extreme rock crawling and enjoy more of mid-range difficulty trails. I hate the torsion bars on the street and on the trail, so they are getting removed one way or another. So far I've only been on CO trails so they tend to be fairly rocky.

Based on what you know, which way should I go?

Is the added height of the SAS/SOA with a potentially loaded down roof for several days of camping going to be a bad thing in an off camber situation?

If I go coilovers will I regret not going SAS after awhile?

What about a trutrac in the front of an IFS? Is that asking for trouble or can it take it? With SAS, a trutrac should be no problem.

Fabrication is not an issue- I live near stang5lgt and I can turn him loose with his experience with either direction I decide.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If your plans include larger tires SAS but I'd suggest linking front and rear to keep the height down. Leaf spring rigs tend to be TALL
If you're doin the hardest trails you plan on, just swap to coilovers. Smoother ride, better handling, easier to do, and IMHO better for the trails you do

i love my coilovers, they are plush and they take moderate trails very well,,

if i was going to do harder trails i would sas , i probably will some time, but the coilovers are way better than stock, and no t bars,,

I think the coilover would be a good choice for 98% of the roads you will encounter out there. Sure, there is holy cross trail, but IMO the huge tires and ride height needed to conquer the few, will take the enjoyment out of a daily trek. You will be adding a lot of weight that has to be drug up the hill, and require more braking going down. SAS will also move the center of gravity up, making the truck more tippy. That makes the switchbacks pretty interesting.

Keep in mind,this is the opinion of an old man with a sore back. ;)

I have had the opportunity to drive my own rigs out there a few times. one time was on 31" tires, once lifted on 33's and once in the 93 with 35's dana 44 front. When we went the last time, back down on 31's, it just felt a little more secure to me. For what it is worth. So what if you snap a cv axle, it's only a 20 minute fix. My spare parts weigh about the same as the additional tire weight of 35's. Add them and spare parts , and you have a pretty heavy rig.

Plus, it is a lot easier to store a 31" spare, let alone change a flat-;)

I think the coilover would be a good choice for 98% of the roads you will encounter out there. Sure, there is holy cross trail, but IMO the huge tires and ride height needed to conquer the few, will take the enjoyment out of a daily trek. You will be adding a lot of weight that has to be drug up the hill, and require more braking going down. SAS will also move the center of gravity up, making the truck more tippy. That makes the switchbacks pretty interesting.

Keep in mind,this is the opinion of an old man with a sore back. ;)

I have had the opportunity to drive my own rigs out there a few times. one time was on 31" tires, once lifted on 33's and once in the 93 with 35's dana 44 front. When we went the last time, back down on 31's, it just felt a little more secure to me. For what it is worth. So what if you snap a cv axle, it's only a 20 minute fix. My spare parts weigh about the same as the additional tire weight of 35's. Add them and spare parts , and you have a pretty heavy rig.

Plus, it is a lot easier to store a 31" spare, let alone change a flat-;)

250% agree. Ive seen alot, mine included, stockish trucks go everywhere. I have D44 TTB and only use 4wd maybe 1% because of my rear locker. My buddy with a rubicon never engages his front locker because the rear is enough. IMO and it is just my opinion, I would get nice coilovers and leave the front open. Good locker in the rear and just bomb it. Doesn't sound like you have that much trouble like it sits.

worst case you dont like it and sell the coilovers and aren't out much $$ for trying.

250% agree. Ive seen alot, mine included, stockish trucks go everywhere. I have D44 TTB and only use 4wd maybe 1% because of my rear locker. My buddy with a rubicon never engages his front locker because the rear is enough. IMO and it is just my opinion, I would get nice coilovers and leave the front open. Good locker in the rear and just bomb it. Doesn't sound like you have that much trouble like it sits.

worst case you dont like it and sell the coilovers and aren't out much $$ for trying.

Sell the brackets on here and keep the coil overs for the SaS lol

Thanks guys. That's exactly the perspective I was hoping to get.

I was leaning coilovers before but I wanted to make sure I at least fully entertained the SAS option.

I'll probably buy up the parts soon and get it over to Josh so he can work his magic.

The cheapest and fastest option is to just swap c/o's and call it good. You can play with the shims and springs until you find a good setting for your needs. With a sas you're going to be looking for parts and will be down for awhile. the whole point is for the truck to be on the trails and not on jack stands.

Back