Condensation in headlights? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Condensation in headlights?

Mirror markers being the integrated turn signals in the mirrors.

I have a 2013 Explorer XLT with less than 9,000 miles on it. After having this issue (twice now) I decided to join this forum and see if anyone else has been having issues with the 2013.

I saw this thread (but it's old :p: ): http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311194

They fixed it the first time (5,000 miles in) with no complaints and only one side needed to be done. This last time the Explorer needed both replaced as they had drops of water in them (8,800 miles in). After I went and picked it up today, my dealer told me that since it's the second time it's happened and it's not a "known issue" that Ford would probably not fix it a third time. He then asked me how I washed my vehicle and that somehow I had to be causing the problem because they don't have this issue.

I don't know if I was treated this way because of my age (I'm 24) or if they just don't want to deal with me anymore, but it left a bad taste in my mouth.

Anyone else having issues with their mirror marker lamps getting water/moisture in them?

Hey MaNwOoT,

I'm glad to hear that everything is fixed and moisture-free! If you ever have difficulty getting service or having something addressed under warranty, please reach out to me via PM. I'm always happy to step in and assist however I can.

I have moisture in one... Noticed it the day after I bought it (new 2013).
Haven't taken it in to them yet, I can't be bothered.... I'll have them replace it eventually, but I've got nearly 3 years of warranty yet... I can wait.

Hey CulturalInfidel,

You can combine this service with an oil change or other scheduled maintenance appointment if you want to save yourself from making a separate trip.

Got mine fixed under warranty

Glad to hear it, zed512!

As always, feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions or concerns.

Crystal

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

After I went and picked it up today, my dealer told me that since it's the second time it's happened and it's not a "known issue" that Ford would probably not fix it a third time.

LOL they can't refuse warranty repair on a vehicle. Also there's nothing about washing your car that could cause moisture in the side markers. They are correct, they may not be fixing it a third time, but if they aren't its because they are repurchasing the car under lemon law ;)

a summary of the Magnuson-Moss federal warranty act:

Full Warranty Requirements
Under a full warranty, in the case of a defect, malfunction, or failure to conform with the written warranty, the warrantor:
  • can remedy the consumer product within a reasonable time and without charge;
  • may not impose any limitation on the duration of any implied warranty on the product;
  • may not exclude or limit consequential damages for a breach of any written or implied warranty on the product, unless the exclusion or limitation conspicuously appears on the face of the warranty; and
  • if the product, or a component part, contains a defect or malfunction, must permit the consumer to elect either a refund or replacement without charge, after a reasonable number of repair attempts.

The first and last bullets being the ones pertaining to your situation. Specifically the last one stating that if a component part of the product contains a defect or malfunction, it must be repaired in a reasonable number of attempts or the consumer is eligible for a replacement or refund for the entire product.

Both of mine in my 2011 had moisture in them. Had them both replaced. While waiting, I went out on the lot to look at a brand new 2013 loaded and guess what I noticed? Moisture in one of the mirror markers! I'm sure its becoming a known issue or maybe people just aren't nearly as particular as we nerds on this forum are...

Mirror markers being the integrated turn signals in the mirrors.

I have a 2013 Explorer XLT with less than 9,000 miles on it. After having this issue (twice now) I decided to join this forum and see if anyone else has been having issues with the 2013.

I saw this thread (but it's old :p: ): http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311194

They fixed it the first time (5,000 miles in) with no complaints and only one side needed to be done. This last time the Explorer needed both replaced as they had drops of water in them (8,800 miles in). After I went and picked it up today, my dealer told me that since it's the second time it's happened and it's not a "known issue" that Ford would probably not fix it a third time. He then asked me how I washed my vehicle and that somehow I had to be causing the problem because they don't have this issue.

I don't know if I was treated this way because of my age (I'm 24) or if they just don't want to deal with me anymore, but it left a bad taste in my mouth.

Anyone else having issues with their mirror marker lamps getting water/moisture in them?

Which dealer did you take it to? My wives 2011 ex has the same problem and the dealer in New Brighton Mn. told her there was no way to fix the moisture problem.

Which dealer did you take it to? My wives 2011 ex has the same problem and the dealer in New Brighton Mn. told her there was no way to fix the moisture problem.

Hi fordf250,

You're always welcome to get a second opinion at a different Ford dealership. Additionally, I'm happy to escalate your case to your region's customer service manager. Just send me a PM with your VIN, preferred dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name; I'll do the rest!

Thanks,

Crystal

Hi fordf250,

You're always welcome to get a second opinion at a different Ford dealership. Additionally, I'm happy to escalate your case to your region's customer service manager. Just send me a PM with your VIN, preferred dealer, mileage, daytime phone number, and full name; I'll do the rest!

Thanks,

Crystal

Thank you Crystal.
I will try a different dealership.

Moisture in Tailight assembly on 2014 Explorer

I bought a 2014 Explorer a month ago and the driver side taillight assembly has moisture in it. It started the second day I had it. Does anyone know what might be causing this? I know it is under Warranty but I wanted to see if I could take care of it myself.
Thanks.

I applaud you for wanting to fix it yourself :thumbsup:
but honestly, just take it to Ford. No point in you spending money to fix their mistake. Might be missing a gasket, could have a crack, who knows.
Wouldn't hurt to make sure the bulbs are in place and tight though.

I bought a 2014 Explorer a month ago and the driver side taillight assembly has moisture in it. It started the second day I had it. Does anyone know what might be causing this? I know it is under Warranty but I wanted to see if I could take care of it myself.
Thanks.
Welcome to the Forum kmcranch.:wavey:
Most posted complaints concerned moisture in the side mirror lenses. I believe this is the first one on the tail light. I would suggest having the dealer check it out. The ones with the side mirror issues in some cases had the light unit replaced. You can also send a private message to Crystal (FordService) one of the Ford reps on here and she can contact the local Customer Service Rep in your area if you want. You can use this link;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=157968
Include your name, daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and dealership info in your message.
Good luck.

Peter

Missing or bad seal. I doubt it is a crack.

My passenger side headlight gets a condensation in it everytime I drive, the drivers one is fine. What can I do to get rid of the condensation? Does anyone know where the vent is located on the headlight?

Thanks

Just noticed mine has a streak with finger print inside the lens. WEIRD! This must have happened in the factory. I've never noticed it before. Will show this to dealer upon next service schedule.

Hey guys,

Washed my 2016 Explorer Sport yesterday and noticed moisture in the headlight corner before I pulled it in to the garage. The temp was aprox. 59 degrees yesterday and I handwash my vehicles. Is moisture like this acceptable??? It was only in the driver side one...

Pics:
20151205_164507.jpg

20151205_164453.jpg

See attached

Attachments

• LightingJobAid.pdf
    302 KB · Views: 614

Thanks for posting that Jason. It seems odd to me that this is normal. I haven't experienced this on any of my vehicles in over 10 years. I will keep an eye on it to make sure it dosent get worse.

Happened every time I went through a touchless carwash (hot water) and with the temp close to 0deg, I also see condensation.
Strange enough, nothing during a coin wash in an open bay.

Happened every time I went through a touchless carwash (hot water) and with the temp close to 0deg, I also see condensation.
Strange enough, nothing during a coin wash in an open bay.

Strange indeed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

HI Folks, I had a 2014 Jeep that had the same issue! Jeep actually sent out a bulletin stating that the head lamps enclosures are vented and internal moisture is normal, if water droplets start forming and running down the inside, then the actual seal is broken and the head lamps would have to be replaced. I would assume it's the same situation that your seeing.

Back