Constant clicking noise from the right side of Explorer, sounded like something broke today . | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Constant clicking noise from the right side of Explorer, sounded like something broke today .

There's been a constant clicking on the right side of the vehicle when I drive it. It sounded like something broke today the clicking got louder and a horrible smell. Thought maybe there was a flat. Stopped got out looked, nothing visible. That I can see. Continue driving, clicking is still constant still louder still smells bad.
Any idea's??
Thanks in advance

Does the noise change when turning?

If you are over 100k mi its probably one of your hubs. They'll tend to give you a grinding and or clicking noise that gets worse as they start to go. The smell is probably from the metal friction and heat from the hub grinding on itself. You can take it to a tire shop and they'll diagnose it for free typically. A good way to determine where it's coming from is to jack the front or the rear end up and spin each tire to see if you can hear the grinding/clicking. if you're mechanically inclined it's not a hard job to do with the right tools. There is a YouTube video by "fordmakuloco" that gives step by step instructions on replacing the front hubs. The rear hubs are a different story and are a bit harder. I'm basing this off of the 2006-2010 Explorers, I think the 02-05's should be the same.

Also could be your CV axels so takeva good look at your axel boots and see if they're torn open.

Back